• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can use this site to get the direction and distance of all OTA towers around you and what type of antenna you’d likely need to pick those signals up

https://www.antennaweb.org/
    SOOOO this. This will tell you what you need, and will also help you aim what you get for the best signal.

The flat antennas with the metal backing grids arent TOTALLY directional, so you can split the difference, point the antenna between the two major sources, and pull them in at high angles OK.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can get all that though streaming with smart TV or you can also cast from your phone to TV.…Welcome to 2024
    If your local station supports it.

And you can get almost as many (useful) tv stations Over The Air now as you can via cable. And they are improving the signals now with enhanced broadcast standards. So back atcha... Welcome to 2024. (where you have a choice)

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not saying OTA is the only option. You can do both for a much better experience. I cut the cord 13+ years ago and and every year I am happier and happier as to what I can get for free OTA+streaming.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    If your local station supports it.

And you can get almost as many (useful) tv stations Over The Air now as you can via cable. And they are improving the signals now with enhanced broadcast standards. So back atcha... Welcome to 2024. (where you have a choice)

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not saying OTA is the only option. You can do both for a much better experience. I cut the cord 13+ years ago and and every year I am happier and happier as to what I can get for free OTA+streaming.
    A smart TV is your friend and good internet and or a smartphone…..

You can watch TV and yell at the people in the yard…… :):

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    You can get all that though streaming with smart TV or you can also cast from your phone to TV.…Welcome to 2024
    No wifi in the barn. I did “hotspot” my phone to watch the Purdue game but I only have so much data on the phone. So that option works sometimes. I still would like to get some free tv through an antenna.

Reactions: Leo

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have something old school (pre digital signal) like this in the attic of my one story home. i aimed it towards the majority of stations and get a bunch of OTA signals. Bought mine at Menards about 19 years ago when we moved in this house. Ran coax to most of the rooms and it supports 5 tvs

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have something old school (pre digital signal) like this in the attic of my one story home. i aimed it towards the majority of stations and get a bunch of OTA signals. Bought mine at Menards about 19 years ago when we moved in this house. Ran coax to most of the rooms and it supports 5 tvs

THIS. There is no such thing as a digital OTA TV antenna.

The antennas of yesteryear still work with these new frequencies. So that Antenna up on the 30' Mast your dad put up 40 years ago will work with today's signals.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    The flat antennas with the metal backing grids aren't TOTALLY directional, so you can split the difference, point the antenna between the two major sources, and pull them in at high angles OK.
    I used a mapping site like AntennaWeb to get the location of stations in relation to mine.
    The antenna I used is flat, but is somewhat positional. I purchased the antenna below from Amazon in 2015 for $90.
    There are a few that clone this adjustable design. So far mine has held up pretty well. I pick up about 35 or so channels around me. Mine is positioned just about as much as the antenna pictured.
    I live on a high point in my county, so the antenna is only mounted about 6 feet up from the peak of my roof.
    * I hope the next thread discusses OTA DVR's.

Antenna.jpg

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    No wifi in the barn. I did “hotspot” my phone to watch the Purdue game but I only have so much data on the phone. So that option works sometimes. I still would like to get some free tv through an antenna.
    Yeah if you're looking for something almost FREE I stay with an antenna

On a side note, I have never seen a local channel that won't work through a smart TV

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You can pull the large end off most old 1970’s antennas as that end of the spectrum is no longer in use for TV signal. There is a new mesh style antenna that works well around 40-45 miles from the station in an attic. Most people don’t want the antenna outside they call it an eye sore.

Personally I am using the old 1970’s style broke down in the attic and RG-6 coax to a signal amp and out the the TV’s using RG-59 and a couple RG-6 (where new) . Works but there is rooms for improvement

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    If one was to install a new antenna on the outside of a barn for some antenna tv, what would you recommend for a low profile powerful antenna?
    This:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do these function better, closer to the antenna source, or at the TV?
    Get one and put it at the feed point where the antenna splits to your tvs. You are filtering what your antenna will pick up and would send down the coax. The coax shielding will prevent signal from reaching the TVs through the air.

Last edited:

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Do these function better, closer to the antenna source, or at the TV?
    I put them on the antenna, but either way will work.

During the last repack, the feds sold off everything above channel 38 to the cell companies.
    The problem is that TV manufacturers are still using tuners that go to channel 68.
    The cell signals can "Swamp" the front end of the receiver.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I put them on the antenna, but either way will work.

During the last repack, the feds sold off everything above channel 38 to the cell companies.
    The problem is that TV manufacturers are still using tuners that go to channel 68.
    The cell signals can "Swamp" the front end of the receiver.
    We have a powered amp on our house antenna(the old style tower) and our signal gets choppy on certain channels. Usually when a game on fox or cbs is going on. I will try to add a filter to this setup and see if it will help.

Top Bottom