Try to have a years meds on hand for yourself.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Many (most?) insurance plans will not approve that...

...under the theory that they don't want to help pay for meds that you may not use, if you change course, decide not to take, die, etc. ...

...so for the people that do use their insurance to help, this may not be an option.

Still, damn good advice.

AND: Read the friggin program, people. UNDERSTAND your medications, and the possible medical effects of a significant lapse in availability.

Hint: Cold turkey off some meds can kill your a**.

So, having at least enough extra of those kinds of meds to slowly titrate yourself off of them seems like a very good idea.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I don't take prescription meds, but I always have lots and lots of acetaminophen on hand bc I love that headache life.

Everyone thinks the headaches are massive head trauma related but Ive had them like crazy since I was a kid....not sure why I added that part but bourbon makes me overly verbose.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Many (most?) insurance plans will not approve that...
    I think he forgot to put a disclaimer that you'll be paying cash/goodrx price doing this. This wont be going through your insurance, but you can use pretax bucks to pay for it.

Edit: the only caveat is getting your doc to buy in and write you a 2nd script for the backups. (separate from your normal periodic script)

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I think he forgot to put a disclaimer that you'll be paying cash/goodrx price doing this. This wont be going through your insurance, but you can use pretax bucks to pay for it.

Edit: the only caveat is getting your doc to buy in and write you a 2nd script for the backups. (separate from your normal periodic script)
    My doc did it when I explained my reasoning, my dentist wrote me 3 extra antibiotics scrips also after being up front and honest about my reasons.

Most will stop at scheduled narcotic types though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My doc did it when I explained my reasoning, my dentist wrote me 3 extra antibiotics scrips also after being up front and honest about my reasons.

Most will stop at scheduled narcotic types though.
    Yep. Its not like you can get high or anything on BP or cholesterol meds.

Reactions: Mij

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    A question on a similar note. How long are most prescription meds viable AFTER their "discard by" date? Some of mine are getting long in the tooth.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    A question on a similar note. How long are most prescription meds viable AFTER their "discard by" date? Some of mine are getting long in the tooth.
    From what I’ve read, most all drugs just slowly lose efficiency over time. Of course all are different and there’s no set rule.

But this pushes the FIFO (First In, First Out) program that should cover all preps. If you get a year’s prescription to hold back, keep getting your monthly or quarterly setup, but always use the oldest stuff first.

Now, if it’s something like a partially used prescription that you didn’t finish and have it around ‘just in case’, I can’t say how useful it will be if it is needed months or years after the original issue date. That would be a good question for Doc Bones and Nurse Amy at Doom and Bloom Medical.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I got a full case of walgreens migrain pills months back and also 2 cases of 80% alcohol...all free from the hope center in grovertown. Might get used sone day, but i doubt it willl ever be need3d.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I sure like the idea of not needing any meds.
    I read this recently that with the US being 5% of the world population, they use 50% of the prescription drugs.

Outside of necessities, there's a ton of money to be made and other drugs are marketed as necessities through testing. This fact should be glaringly apparent the last 4 years.

Statins are one.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Brian Lauech (Brians Surplus) and a few of us were talking about the lifespan of certain drugs a few months ago in his store. As I have a pretty good stock on hand that I keep on my sailboat,most are from the early to the middle 90's. I was interested on what others had to say.
    Brian pulled out a few copies of this book that one of his Aunts had written a few years ago. Its been an interesting and easy to understand read.
    I believe starting with page 72 covers the longevity of Antibiotics and other drugs.
    a1.jpg
    a2.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    And if its something you cant rotate. (e.g. those happy pills you didnt finish after that one surgery) I believe vacuum sealing with an oxygen absorber bag included will go a long way to extend their life.
    I have a few different opiates from the early 90's and I don't believe they have lost that much of there potency.

Top Bottom