• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Who are these "Trump candidates" that won? Only JD Vance comes to mind.
    Trump endorsed Lee Zeldin, for one. He didn't win the governorship but he got a lot closer than any republican has in a long time and is widely credited with pulling several republicans running for the house across the line and making that winning of the house possible

And Zelda was an unabashed Trumper

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Trump got out prior to the primaries and bucked the "establishment" in a number of races.

His candidates that he pushed through the primaries over "establishment types" in light pink or purple states/districts overwhelming LOST!
    Now PROVE that the 'establishment' candidates would have won :rolleyes:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'd rather not see Trump win the 2024 primaries. Between him and DeSantis, DeSantis is a lot more appealing to middle-ground voters.
    But what if Trumpers get all 'the hem of my garment, I must not allow it to be dirtied' like the ABTs and the Libertarians?

I guess we're expected to vote for a candidate we don't like 'for the good of the party/country (like Charles Wilson, the GOPe has a little trouble with perspective) but no one else is

You are taking the base for granted, and the argument could be made the base is overwhelmingly America First. So prove that 'appealing to middle-ground voters' would not lose more votes than it gained

WillH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    But what if Trumpers get all 'the hem of my garment, I must not allow it to be dirtied' like the ABTs and the Libertarians?

I guess we're expected to vote for a candidate we don't like 'for the good of the party/country (like Charles Wilson, the GOPe has a little trouble with perspective) but no one else is

You are taking the base for granted, and the argument could be made the base is overwhelmingly America First. So prove that 'appealing to middle-ground voters' would not lose more votes than it gained
    There are more Independent voters than registered Republicans. If DeSantis were to win the primary, I don't think a very large percentage of Trumpers would abstain from voting. At the end of the day, it is statistically safer to vote for a slightly more moderate Republican than an extremely controversial figure like Trump. I think DeSantis has done a seemingly good job running Florida, I think he is extremely popular there, and I think the odds of him winning a Republican presidency in 2024 are much higher than Trump's odds of winning the same race.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Oz and Walker didn't lose because they were AF. They lost because they were ****.

This election, Trump showed us he will put his seal of approval on any popularity-seeking ***hole willing to be seen with him in public. He thought he could pick up a turd, deem them to be AF, and it would be good. Didn't work in PA and GA.

The reason why that's particularly galling in GA, is that GA should be a red state! But it's gone purple as Barney the Dinosaur since Trump got elected.

Why didn't Brian Kemp lose in Georgia? Why didn't Stacey Abrams win instead? Because at some level, voters can sense when one person is sorted-out and the other is obviously not. The key is, don't give them cognitive dissonance by running a turd against a turd! Brian Kemp is no friend of Trump's. But he can win in Georgia.

So, there's a start for you. How do you be more like Brian Kemp, and less like a turd? Well, you govern competently, you pass Jim Crow 2.0, and you own that and stand resolutely in defense of it. You do the same types of "competent governance" things that "other guy next door" is doing.

The voters don't want to be given a megalomaniacal, popularity-seeking ***hole, and have smoke blown up their azz and be told you have to vote for that because that's "America First."

When Trump teams with the rest of the party and supports real, competent candidates, his "win rate" soars. He just doesn't get all the credit. Nor should he.

But when he supports people whose only qualifications are popularity-lust and willingness to associate with him, he loses. And yes, when he goes it alone like that, he does get all the blame.

Trump didn't invent America First. It's not his trademarked intellectual property. And he can't apply that trademark to anyone who's willing to rub elbows with him and expect it to stick. Being with Trump doesn't make you AF. Being AF makes you AF. AF is not Trump's exclusive possession. We the voters own that. And we're not stupid (well, most of us anyway).

If Trump is going to slap that label on a turd, and lose, we the voters have the right and responsibility to look for someone else who can actually do AF more competently.

Yes, putting up RINOs takes the base for granted, and should not be done except in true blue states.

But Trump putting the AF label on megalomaniacal turds is no different. He's taking the whole party for granted. We don't have to play. The GOP has lost every election since Trump was inaugurated.

He had some good innings. But it might be time to walk to the mound and take the baseball.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    FIXED THE SPIN
    Not quite, he didn't LOSE the governorship, he never had it. Of the two candidates, only Hochul could have 'lost the governorship', Zeldin lost the election for governor

But Zeldin OVERperformed, and I thought we had gone to it being all about EXPECTATIONS because that gave the best spin to make it Trump's fault. You know, Vance wasn't a win because he was EXPECTED to win, but Oz was a loss because a republican had somewhat of a chance in PA, or something, and it was Trump's fault that what mighta, coulda happened didn't

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Posted this in another thread, but it belongs here, too.

Brilliant.

61smvuew4k4a1.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Dude, under-performing *expectations* is under-performing. So it's everyone screwed up and Trump didn't endorse **** candidates? :rolleyes:

If it works that way you are an underperforming poster, because I expected more out of you than you deliver. Because you are saying that others can set expectations for you and if you do not achieve their expectations, you have underperformed...

And the dems, their media, and the COC party did create this buzz either knowingly or unknowingly and make gains because of those that fall for their narrative?

Last edited:

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    There are more Independent voters than registered Republicans. If DeSantis were to win the primary, I don't think a very large percentage of Trumpers would abstain from voting. At the end of the day, it is statistically safer to vote for a slightly more moderate Republican than an extremely controversial figure like Trump. I think DeSantis has done a seemingly good job running Florida, I think he is extremely popular there, and I think the odds of him winning a Republican presidency in 2024 are much higher than Trump's odds of winning the same race.
    The media has gotten to you. That is the exact argument for Desantis against trump that the media wants to happen and the narrative they have been pursuing since the election. Desantis wins big.
    Trump loses big.
    All fake.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If it works that way you are an underperforming poster, because I expected more out of you than you deliver. Because you are saying that others can set expectations for you and if you do not achieve their expectations, you have underperformed...

And the dems, their media, and the COC party did not create this buzz either knowingly or unknowingly and make gains because of those that fall for their narrative?
    First, you're welcome to set expectations for me if you want. I kinda think it's silly to do that. But you're welcome to. Rest assured, I don't set expectations for you. So you can't disappoint me. :):

But anyway, that is kinda silly don't you think? You conflate individuals setting expectations for other individuals with an election? I kinda get the feeling that if Republicans won bigger than expected and I said they over-performed expectations, you'd probably agree.

If you think the experts expectations were flawed, of course your opinion is yours to have. But the experts got key races very wrong. Republicans under-performed the typical mid-term opposite-party wave though. Rather than denying it, accept that it's true and figure out how to overcome it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom