• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    He brought back $2.00 gas, 12-14% on ones 401, new manufacturing here, at one point 3.6% unemployment.
    I definitely liked his energy policy. The middle one I give Trump some credit. I am not sure how much throwing trillions of dollars out in Covid Aid didn't artificially prop up the markets. I also give some credit for the unemployment numbers but also not sure how much Covid Aid factored into that one either.

I wouldn't have faulted Trump for the Market Crash or the pop in unemployment either.

My concern with Trump was the spending. There was a lot of it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    People view this as a fault, but I view it as a positive. He left the tough and divisive decision to the state governments to decide for themselves, rather than proclaiming himself a king and ordering them to do his will.

The real mistake was with Fauci.
    Except when he was criticizing the likes of Kemp and Desantis for not following his covid response team’s orders.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    He did all that by himself, eh? Controls gas prices, controls the stock market, controls employment. Why do we even need a legislature? Seems like a benevolent king is a much better system.
    Well that is sorta the way it's become. Congress has over the years created a massive number of federal agencies under the executive branch onto which they've lazily sloughed off their legislative responsibilities because they need to start campaigning for the next election, leaving precious little time to do their actual job.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    He did all that by himself, eh? Controls gas prices, controls the stock market, controls employment. Why do we even need a legislature? Seems like a benevolent king is a much better system.

Is your weekly fuel transportation bill
    the same or double?

Hows your grocery bill with biden?

Got a 401? Hows it doing now?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Actually. Yes, he said all the things the oil industry needed to hear to spur effort and investment in producing energy. I have come to understand and equate energy to liberty and freedom. Everything we do requires energy thus all the other great things that also came along were a direct result of that energy policy. If you remember the markets went up after he won but before inauguration based on his promises of his energy policy.

All the negative you see in our economy now is a direct result of the current administrations energy policies. I fear, now that our politics are so divided that it may not work so easy again as the energy producers will be wary of sticking their neck out again after bidet cut it off this time.

Surprised you did not understand this already.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He brought back $2.00 gas, 12-14% on ones 401, new manufacturing here, at one point 3.6% unemployment.
    tax cuts, a booming stock market, bringing jobs back to America, rising wages at
    the lower end of the scale, historically low unemployment, especially minority
    unemployment, a secure border, energy independence, and an attack
    on the administrative state, over-regulation, climate-change fanaticism, political
    correctness (ESG, DEI, CRT), globalist imperatives, and foreign adventurism

And that's not even an exhaustive list :coffee:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    tax cuts, a booming stock market, bringing jobs back to America, rising wages at
    on the administrative state, over-regulation, climate-change fanaticism, political

Whats not to love.
    Trump 2024 Bring America Back.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Is your weekly fuel transportation bill
    the same or double?

Hows your grocery bill with biden?

Got a 401? Hows it doing now?
    The Fed's money printer is responsible for all of this. It started in January 2020. Remind me who was in office then.

If Trump was still in office, we'd be in the same boat.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The Fed's money printer is responsible for all of this. It started in January 2020. Remind me who was in office then.

Doubtful.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I don’t know that we’d be in *THIS* boat but Trump did start the money burn. If my memory is correct, under Trump the CDC found new authority to allow renters to stay in apartments rent free, for what, a year? Remember, Thomas Massie was one of the few that trying to stop it, he was warning anyone that would listen this would lead to rampant inflation, and Trump castigated him for not going along.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Tax Cuts was Congress.
    The Border was never secure. He STARTED to have more wall built.
    Historically low job participation went along with that unemployment rate.

I would put Nominating Gorsuch on the list. The other two not so much

He definitely did some good stuff, but you give him too much credit.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It is important to stop and realize what a significant moment we're at, with the announcement of a Trump run. We (presumably) now have two America-First candidates vying with each other for the GOP nomination.

The Chamber-of-Commerce mainstream business-friendly Wall Street types are nominally on the outside looking in.

This is incredible. It's usually the other way around - a bunch of presumably right-wing candidates canceling out each other's donor money while a well-financed Wall Street Friend cruises to the nomination.

Trump deserves credit for the lay of the land. We couldn't be here if he didn't win in 2016. Now, not every progenitor of a movement is adequate to the task of nurturing it into the future. It's possible he gave birth to something, and the birthing pains turn out to be so severe, he's injured to the point where he's no longer able to carry it forward.

But let's keep our focus where it belongs. We've been given an opportunity here, to see if America-First was a one-off populist flash in the pan, attached to a particular charismatic personality and never able to be repeated...or the beginning of a permanent realignment of the GOP more toward the interests of its voters.

There are 3 key dangers which must be avoided. And all of them are equally threatening and could equally lead to the end of the movement:

1) The Progenitor of the Movement, Trump, possesses a basket of injuries (demeanor / indictments / general opposition) which is so off-putting to so many, that he can't effectively carry the movement forward to a second victory.

2) The Potential Successor to the Movement, DeSantis, is either unelectable in his own right, or else has establishment loyalties which make him co-optable by the Friends of Wall Street, so that even if it wins, the new movement ends up being "folded-back" into serving the same sh!t ends of the old GOP, and "shorts-out" into the same historical election loss pattern we are in.

3) The Election Situation on the ground has become so bad (>> mail ballots) as to be able to make 1 and 2 moot.

My guess is, we are faced with multiple dangers, and possibly a combination of all 3.

We have a chance, because we won a past election. But the Party of Identity Grievance (PIG) has taken commanding control of how ballots are cast in elections. The GOP is the only entity with a chance of saving the country from one-party rule; but its legacy and most of its donor base are in the hands of a class of comfortable white men who don't understand (or care about?) the harm the new reality poses to ordinary people, and is completely unable to meet the new challenge. And some of them are already angling to get leverage over DeSantis (see #2).

But let's not get so buried in the intermural dung-flipping that we fail to see the significance of the moment here.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom