SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Tax Cuts was Congress.
    Tax cuts were Congress AND Trump. IMO, he gets his share of the credit for prioritizing while he had congress.

The Border was never secure. He STARTED to have more wall built.
    IIRC, securing the land easements for the wall were a big delay, so started the wall build where it could be built, re-allocated DoD/CoE to continue building when we lost congress, lot's of existing revetment crud replaced in critical places, gained Mexico's cooperation for "stay in Mexico", used the COVID law to deport, etc.

You're correct he didn't complete it, permanently, but IMO you're giving him less credit than he deserves on this.

Historically low job participation went along with that unemployment rate.

I would put Nominating Gorsuch on the list. The other two not so much
    Yes and no... both of the other two are better than Roberts, who looks at political outcomes and his legacy, IMO.

And, originalists will always apply the law and the Constitution to determine the answer, not start with the answer desired and work backwards like the leftist bloc does.

He definitely did some good stuff, but you give him too much credit.
    I also think the regulatory roll-back is under-credited. The bureacracy grows and is empowered by comprehensive, complex and omni-present regulations... rolling regs back helps put the beast on a diet.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think the biggest thing Trump should get credit for is creating optimism for a greater America. I posted in another thread that the MAGA movement was born out of a response to Obama's "new norm" settle for less doctrine. He set out on a campaign to resoundingly reject that doctrine and subsequently put forth policy initiatives designed to foster a new American resurgence.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Fed's money printer is responsible for all of this. It started in January 2020. Remind me who was in office then.
    Nowhere near all of this. I explained to you what drives our economy, that is energy. The money printing is typically bad but how bad depends on the overall economy and it’s ratios to production.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Tax cuts were Congress AND Trump. IMO, he gets his share of the credit for prioritizing while he had congress.
    You're free to give him credit. I give him credit for signing it. Cutting taxes is not something the President can do.
    IIRC, securing the land easements for the wall were a big delay, so started the wall build where it could be built, re-allocated DoD/CoE to continue building when we lost congress, lot's of existing revetment crud replaced in critical places, gained Mexico's cooperation for "stay in Mexico", used the COVID law to deport, etc.

You're correct he didn't complete it, permanently, but IMO you're giving him less credit than he deserves on this.
    He "finished" 458 miles from what I can find. That is out of 1933 miles. At no point was the border ever secured, which was the claim made.
    Yes and no... both of the other two are better than Roberts, who looks at political outcomes and his legacy, IMO.

And, originalists will always apply the law and the Constitution to determine the answer, not start with the answer desired and work backwards like the leftist bloc does.
    They are marginally better than Roberts. I would not consider either of them to be true originalists. Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch are much more so.
    I also think the regulatory roll-back is under-credited. The bureacracy grows and is empowered by comprehensive, complex and omni-present regulations... rolling regs back helps put the beast on a diet.
    The issue there is that it was short lived. Nothing was done in a manner that would survive his successor.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Nowhere near all of this. I explained to you what drives our economy, that is energy. The money printing is typically bad but how bad depends on the overall economy and it’s ratios to production.
    If it's typically bad, how can I tell when it's good? What guidelines are there?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Is the word “good” in my post?
    No but typically bad is different from always bad which implies it may not be bad so when is it not bad since the objection was to the word good? Did any of the Covid Spending bills rise above the threshold of typically bad or were they bad?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    You are failing to give credit for convincing congress to pass it.
    I don't remember the Rs needing a lot of convincing, but sure.
    Quite a bit more than that... Congress (mostly) passed Trump's tax cut plan. If anything, Trump "accepted" the tax cuts which were less than he proposed in his campaign. He pushed for deeper cuts.

Here's the Tax Foundation analysis from September 2016, before the election:

It's fair to say it was Trump's Tax Cut, which congress mostly passed for him to sign.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No but typically bad is different from always bad which implies it may not be bad so when is it not bad since the objection was to the word good? Did any of the Covid Spending bills rise above the threshold of typically bad or were they bad?
    The higher the GDP the less negative it is…

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom