• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Qualified retired LEO under The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. Except on certain state and federal, and posted private property a qualified retired LEO can carry almost the same as an active LEO in the US.
    But I'm neither a felon nor active LEO

:ugh: was reading "active" and never considered "retired" :wallbash:

:dunno: I said I was a little slow :scratch:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Sorry 40cal...
    Only Felons and active police officers are allowed to have guns in Illinois. :twocents:
    Dogman: I apologize for the misunderstanding. My statement was made with tongue-in-cheek sarcastic intent.
    Quite honestly I was making snide remarks toward IL laws in my statement.
    THank you for your service to our fine communities. :rockwoot:

Senator Obama has fought against lawful ownership of firearms for the years he has been in the senate. He also has fought hard for the freedom of young gang members who use firearms in initiation rituals.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Dogman: I apologize for the misunderstanding.
    GetA2J, don't think twice about it, no need to apologize to me.
    Unless someone has been convicted of a felony and some misdemeanor crimes, as Americans we all should be able to carry anywhere in America that we wish to without permits. :cheers:

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    .40cal:
    Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

Basically, it must be unloaded, cased, and "not readily accessible" (i.e. - in the trunk)

Firearms Owner IDentification Card. :xmad:

from what I understand, our neighbors can't even fondle a gun at their favorite firearms store without having a FOID.
    Yep, talking to the store owner where I bought my first handgun, he said the ISP has conducted stings in which they sent people in (sometimes underaged) to see whether or not the owner checked for a FOID card before allowing someone to handle ammo or a firearm. If they didn't, you can imagine what happened. I've always said that it was just so the ISP knows whose doors to knock on if Daley and his ilk finally get their way.

Once I get to Florida, I'm planning on taping my FOID card to a target at 10 yards and seeing just how many 230gr LRN rounds it takes to shred the thing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is another way to carry legally in Illinois. If you have a private investigator's license, you're allowed to carry while you're "working."

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    This is all very interesting. I travel for work to Chicago very regularly and have often wondered about it. I usually carry in IN, then when I get close to the state line I put it away in the trunk and reverse it when leaving. That seems about the best.

I had wondered about the FOID card thing. Now reading the law since I'm from IN I can handle the guns in a shop or elsewhere without having the actual FOID.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    This is all very interesting. I travel for work to Chicago very regularly and have often wondered about it. I usually carry in IN, then when I get close to the state line I put it away in the trunk and reverse it when leaving. That seems about the best.
    Be careful if you're going into Chicago proper. With the outright ban on handguns and no preemption in Illinois, CPD would love to get their hands on you.:xmad:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Be careful if you're going into Chicago proper. With the outright ban on handguns and no preemption in Illinois, CPD would love to get their hands on you.:xmad:

In theory, Chicago still has to recognize Federal Transport laws. Often times the CPD will steal - excuse me - confiscate guns and send you on your way, and your pistol will never be seen again. Sometimes they make arrests of people legally transporting weapons through the city. But most of the time, unless you draw such attention to yourself, they don't have the slightest idea who has what where, nor do they care.

O'Hare airport is annexed into the City, I've flown out of there with pistols in my checked luggage many, many times. I don't look for a Chicago cop and ask him to check out my guns while I'm there, and I make sure I keep the whole transaction as quiet as I can, but hundereds of travelers do it everyday, and that is Chicago's jurisdiction.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Just be sure to check your rights when you cross into the Peoples communist state of IL. You can have them back when you return to the United States.

Santee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    "If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government — and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." — EDWARD ABBEY
    :draw:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I just realized you're in Speedway. Whereabouts? PM if you'd like.

Good luck with your trip to Illinois, let us know when/if you make it back in one piece.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I traveled through IL to St Louis last year, and actually stayed in a hotel on the IL side somewhere. (not east st louis) I took my pistol, but do not have a case for any of them. I cable locked the gun in one piece of luggage, and put the loaded mags in another. I take it that that would not be sufficient as it was not cased?

May have to buy a case then to be safe when traveling. Been needing a car lock box anyway, guess I could just move it to the trunk if going to Il.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    well i made it. im deep in the heart of the of Illinois. anyone know were the Simpsons live, im in springfield but havent seen them... i only saw one cop and he was clocking in a construction zone but my radar picked him up before he saw me.. so no problems yet!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    If I read it right the limitation on the Federal Law is you must be traveling through an area. So if you get pulled over and discovered I wouldn't say I was Visiting Illinois, but on my way to, whatever the next state is in the direction you are heading.
    I recently went through there but both guns (mine and my wife's) were locked in a safe, unloaded in the back of the car (no trunk in a HHR).

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    well i made it. im deep in the heart of the of Illinois. anyone know were the Simpsons live, im in springfield but havent seen them... i only saw one cop and he was clocking in a construction zone but my radar picked him up before he saw me.. so no problems yet!

Apparently, as long as the "self-defense tool" is unloaded (no round in chamber also), completely encased (belt/waist bag included or purse) unable to be seen (zipper section if possible of purse), even if the magazine is in the same "case" it is legal. Depends on who you talk to.

Top Bottom