• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    heres the deal. i am going to Illinois for a few days and was wondering how i can do so and take my pistol with me..? does it just have to be locked in a gun safe lock box, does it not have to be locked up? can it be loaded? does it have to be disassembled? ammo seperated?... mag capacity? you get the idea.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I think you have to seperate the slide from the frame, then cut the frame in half

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Seriously, go to the NRA site and click on the gun laws tab. It will give you a map and to get info about IL just click on the state. It looks like you can do it as long as it is in a hard case, unloaded and in the trunk of your vehicle. Good luck. Just don't take it to Chicago.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I'm neither and I can carry in Illinois:popcorn2:.
    Well there ya go 40cal.
    FWIW another member "flagtag" is a resident of the peoples republik of Illinois. She might have some other information that could be useful.
    I really was under the impression that if you did not have an IL F.O.I.D. card you were not allowed to posses an firearm at all in IL. I think you even have to show your F.O.I.D. card to purchase ammo in IL. :n00b:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Well there ya go 40cal.
    FWIW another member "flagtag" is a resident of the peoples republik of Illinois. She might have some other information that could be useful.
    I really was under the impression that if you did not have an IL F.O.I.D. card you were not allowed to posses an firearm at all in IL. I think you even have to show your F.O.I.D. card to purchase ammo in IL. :n00b:
    What's a F.O.I.D. CARD?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I'm neither and I can carry in Illinois:popcorn2:.

mmmmm I am easily confused, could you please explain how?

NON-RESIDENTS

A non-resident is permitted to possess a firearm without a FOID if it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, or if the nonresident is:
    • Hunting and has a non-resident hunting license, while in an area where hunting is permitted.
    • On a target range recognized by the Department of State Police.
    • At a gun show recognized by the Department of State Police.
    • Currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in his state of residence.
    Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois. A non-resident who qualifies to possess a firearm under one of the above-listed exceptions may also purchase ammunition.
    5/2.33(n); 720 Ill. Comp. Stat. § 5/24-1 et seq., and 720 Ill. Comp. Stat. § 5/21-6.​

1. Subject to municipal control. Handguns have been banned in some municipalities.
    2. Chicago requires registration of all firearms.
    3. Carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited entirely. A FOID is required to transport a handgun. See “CARRYING.”

CARRYING

It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm in any vehicle or concealed on or about the person, except on one’s land or in one’s abode or fixed place of business. It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm on or about one’s person upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village, or incorporated town, except when: an invitee thereon or therein; for the purpose of the display of firearms or the lawful commerce in firearms; or when on one’s land or in one’s abode or fixed place of business.
    Exceptions are persons using their firearms on established target ranges; licensed hunters, trappers, or fishermen while engaged in their licensed activity; transportation of firearms that are broken down in a non-functioning state or are not immediately accessible (e.g., in the trunk of a car); and transportation, carrying, or possession of a firearm which is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container, by the possessor of a valid FOID. Under the Wildlife Code, it is unlawful to have or carry any firearm in or on any vehicle or conveyance unless unloaded and enclosed in a case.

Best I can tell, you can have it with you, but you can't carry it "on your person" other than when hunting, on private property, or at a range

wolfman

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Qualified retired LEO under The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. Except on certain state and federal, and posted private property a qualified retired LEO can carry almost the same as an active LEO in the US.
    But I'm neither a felon nor active LEO

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    mmmmm I am easily confused, could you please explain how?

Best I can tell, you can have it with you, but you can't carry it "on your person" other than when hunting, on private property, or at a range

wolfman

sounds like im going on a hunting expedition then!:):

Top Bottom