Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lmao, putting masks all the way at the front. What utter unscientific trash.

California has all those things, still waiting on it to save them.
    I didn't think that putting the masks at the front was intended to give it more importance than the other things. I think the whole diagram was meant to be smarmy ********ery and self-righteous "do better America". Now where's that ***damn eye-rolly emoji.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I posted up ten factors that all together help stop/reduce spread. I don't think masks are the only difference.

But, this is the mask thread. Of course I'm going to focus on masks in this discussion.

Eww, no. I'm not doing anything with old people in condoms.
    Why shame the US then? Mitigations are what that retarded diagram are about, and they aren't even the biggest factor for why the death tolls here are so bad.

The point about condoms was that it's not illustrating what I think you were trying to illustrate. 72% compliance rate with mask wearing in a given community is quite good. 72% efficacy rate with condoms is quite horrible.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Why shame the US then? Mitigations are what that retarded diagram are about, and they aren't even the biggest factor for why the death tolls here are so bad.

The point about condoms was that it's not illustrating what I think you were trying to illustrate. 72% compliance rate with mask wearing in a given community is quite good. 72% efficacy rate with condoms is quite horrible.
    I think we disagree that 72% compliance with a nearly costless mitigation is good.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't think that putting the masks at the front was intended to give it more importance than the other things. I think the whole diagram was meant to be smarmy ********ery and self-righteous "do better America". Now where's that ***damn eye-rolly emoji.
    Notice how toward the end of that 'layered defense' it is government intervention that completes the mitigation. Surprised it doesn't read from right to left

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Is there really a sequence or order there? or is it just a list of mitigations?
    Of course there is an order in the presentation from left to right but I mean does that imply any order of importance or order of anything - other than they couldn't all occupy the same space at the same time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think we disagree that 72% compliance with a nearly costless mitigation is good.

Why do you keep attaching morality to mask wearing? Where’s that :lala: emoji? Why don’t you read INGO sometime? Maybe pay attention to what reasons people give for not wearing masks. This “be better” social shaming ******** isn’t going to do anything but perhaps make you feel morally superior. It’s not an issue of morality at all.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yes, better than in June. Still significantly worse than in the parts of the world where the case numbers are practically zero.

Masks are certainly not the entirety of pandemic defense. In fact, they're a pretty small part.

08SCI-cheese-graphic-REV2-superJumbo.png
    So if the illustration is accurate, removing 1 piece of “protection” wouldn’t make that big of an impact. Given all those layers provide *some* form of protection, if all of the precautions are still in place minus the mask it would be just as effective... unless the illustration is only propaganda used to persuade others into agreeing with every precaution you desire them to adhere to.

Thack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Im getting tired of seeing this. The virus aerosolizes so it travels through the air just fine. This graphic should be more like peeing in a pool and saying that your swimsuits protect you from the pee.
    Friend, no study has demonstrated actual clinical evidence of the airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2;
    The overwhelming majority of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is via large respiratory droplets as conclusively demonstrated by contact tracing studies, cluster investigations, the lack of infection spread in hospital settings with universal masking protocols and the low estimated R.

My office (medical field) relaxed universal masking protocols during the late fall and it came as no surprise that we had a 20% infection rate within weeks. Universal masking protocols were reinstated and there has been one case since.

In the healthcare setting, aerosol is used with respect to “aerosol-generating procedures” (e.g., intubation, bronchoscopy) that produce small droplets and particles and require distinct engineering controls to prevent occupational transmission of infectious pathogens like SARS-CoV-2. I am assuming you are a fellow medical professional and you are aware of State wide protocol changes because of this?

Citing the CDC....

The epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 indicates that most infections are spread through close contact, not airborne transmission​

Diseases that are spread efficiently through airborne transmission tend to have high attack rates because they can quickly reach and infect many people in a short period of time. We know that a significant proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infections (estimated 40-45%) occur without symptoms and that infection can be spread by people showing no symptoms. Thus, were SARS-CoV-2 spread primarily through airborne transmission like measles, experts would expect to have observed considerably more rapid global spread of infection in early 2020 and higher percentages of prior infection measured by serosurveys. Available data indicate that SARS-CoV-2 has spread more like most other common respiratory viruses, primarily through respiratory droplet transmission within a short range (e.g., less than six feet). There is no evidence of efficient spread (i.e., routine, rapid spread) to people far away or who enter a space hours after an infectious person was there.

Prevention of COVID-19 by airborne transmission​

Existing interventions to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 appear sufficient to address transmission both through close contact and under the special circumstances favorable to potential airborne transmission. Among these interventions, which include social distancing, use of masks in the community, hand hygiene, and surface cleaning and disinfection, ventilation and avoidance of crowded indoor spaces are especially relevant for enclosed spaces, where circumstances can increase the concentration of suspended small droplets and particles carrying infectious virus. At this time, there is no indication of a general community need to use special engineering controls, such as those required to protect against airborne transmission of infections, like measles or tuberculosis, in the healthcare setting.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Um, yes we do.
    You are, and he is, and that lady over there, oh and those kids.
    And possibly your dog too.

People are disgusting, and those who are avoiding this virus and every other for that matter are those who recognize this fact.

A healthy immune system and general loathing of humanity are infinity more effective than say, improperly wearing PPE 9-5.
    And for goodness sakes don't forget your silver water.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My office (medical field) relaxed universal masking protocols during the late fall and it came as no surprise that we had a 20% infection rate within weeks. Universal masking protocols were reinstated and there has been one case since.

You don't say how many people are in the office. One single case could equal 20% if there are only five people.

Also people change other behaviors after a surge in cases at their workplace so it is impossible to claim masking was the sole variable responsible for anything.

Plus it would have to be considered that any persons that were prior cases would have some level of immunity and would no longer be capable of becoming new cases. This reduces the potential for new cases without any regard to masking or not masking.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    You must have weak baby lungs if wearing a 3 layer surgical mask put your oxygen at 80. What's it normally? 81? C'mon dude.
    It was at 80 without a mask and why I was going through all the testing. The doctors didn't have me wear a mask. And now? I am not buying into the masking Male Bovine Defecation. If your wearing a hankerchief is saving you from the china flu, wear 2 of them and leave me out of it.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Friend, no study has demonstrated actual clinical evidence of the airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2;
    The overwhelming majority of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is via large respiratory droplets as conclusively demonstrated by contact tracing studies, cluster investigations, the lack of infection spread in hospital settings with universal masking protocols and the low estimated R.

In the healthcare setting, aerosol is used with respect to “aerosol-generating procedures” (e.g., intubation, bronchoscopy) that produce small droplets and particles and require distinct engineering controls to prevent occupational transmission of infectious pathogens like SARS-CoV-2. I am assuming you are a fellow medical professional and you are aware of State wide protocol changes because of this?

Citing the CDC....

The epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 indicates that most infections are spread through close contact, not airborne transmission​

Diseases that are spread efficiently through airborne transmission tend to have high attack rates because they can quickly reach and infect many people in a short period of time. We know that a significant proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infections (estimated 40-45%) occur without symptoms and that infection can be spread by people showing no symptoms. Thus, were SARS-CoV-2 spread primarily through airborne transmission like measles, experts would expect to have observed considerably more rapid global spread of infection in early 2020 and higher percentages of prior infection measured by serosurveys. Available data indicate that SARS-CoV-2 has spread more like most other common respiratory viruses, primarily through respiratory droplet transmission within a short range (e.g., less than six feet). There is no evidence of efficient spread (i.e., routine, rapid spread) to people far away or who enter a space hours after an infectious person was there.

Prevention of COVID-19 by airborne transmission​

Existing interventions to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 appear sufficient to address transmission both through close contact and under the special circumstances favorable to potential airborne transmission. Among these interventions, which include social distancing, use of masks in the community, hand hygiene, and surface cleaning and disinfection, ventilation and avoidance of crowded indoor spaces are especially relevant for enclosed spaces, where circumstances can increase the concentration of suspended small droplets and particles carrying infectious virus. At this time, there is no indication of a general community need to use special engineering controls, such as those required to protect against airborne transmission of infections, like measles or tuberculosis, in the healthcare setting.
    So why have the amount of cases of covid only gone up since masks have been required? I know Dubois county had one of the highest rates in the country a few weeks ago and everywhere i go everyone is wearing a mask.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Out of my large family 201 cousins from both sides, many family friends and neighbors. I only known of one that had the Wuhan virus and they told me it was like a really bad flu for about 3 days and it went away but they were to quarantine for 2 weeks after which they did. I think 300k count is highly exaggerated and they have counted deaths of those who died with Wuhan virus not from it exclusively.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Why do you keep attaching morality to mask wearing? Where’s that :lala: emoji? Why don’t you read INGO sometime? Maybe pay attention to what reasons people give for not wearing masks. This “be better” social shaming ******** isn’t going to do anything but perhaps make you feel morally superior. It’s not an issue of morality at all.
    Same reason I see immortality in drunk driving even in instances where nobody gets injured.

Although with drunk driving, you can at least usually tell who was at fault.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom