• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The thing with the cloth masks is that they are actually effective to reduce the amount of germs YOU spread to others & to surfaces.

Covid-19 and other viruses will easily blow through the cloth mask, but the virus needs a "carrier" to actually spread out into the world and the carrier is your saliva that you spew out when you breathe, sing, yell, cough, talk and sneeze. This has been proven to be true many times in various tests. Nope, cloth masks are not perfect. And no, they do not protect you from other people. But they protect others from you.

So given that so many people don't know they are spreading it it is actually wise for as many people as possible to wear a mask.

As for people who wear gloves everywhere. WASH THEM as soon as you leave a location. Gloves do a great job of spreading germs. From the store to your steering wheel, to the next store, to your gear shift level and then to your home. Gloves are not magic. They spread germs just like your hands spread germs. Of course the other option is the dispose of your gloves upon existing a store/location. Then putting on a new pair when you enter the next location. But you really don't want to bring contaminated gloves into your car. The one advantage to wearing gloves is that most people resist touching their face while wearing gloves.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    They’ve done an awful job “marketing” the mask idea. First they told everyone a cloth mask wouldn’t do anything. Then they said it would protect others, but not the wearer. Now people are using the mask as a moral cudgel to beat people over the head while standing on their own moral high ground. I’ve also not seen any definitive studies done to prove that everyone wearing one would stop this virus. If one exists, it seems a much better sales pitch than Karens beating people over the head about what a bad person they are.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    95% percent of the time, no. I have worn one three times in the past six months. When I go to menards and normally I wouldn’t go in but I’m in the middle of a deck project and some treated lumber is hard to find. I wore one yesterday when I got my hair cut because great clips now requires it and that is a change from my last cut there. Had I not checked in already I probably would’ve not. They said it was a directive from the governor. The only other time I wore a mask was for actual safety reason when ripping up 30 year plus old carpet with cat ruined and other thing potentially in it. The mask helped but I could still smell so I know it didn’t do much.

if I have use a mask, my wife brought home a few from work. They are supposed to be single use but I’m just reuse them for now and hope this is over in a month or so.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They’ve done an awful job “marketing” the mask idea. First they told everyone a cloth mask wouldn’t do anything. Then they said it would protect others, but not the wearer. Now people are using the mask as a moral cudgel to beat people over the head while standing on their own moral high ground. I’ve also not seen any definitive studies done to prove that everyone wearing one would stop this virus. If one exists, it seems a much better sales pitch than Karens beating people over the head about what a bad person they are.

The problem is there's no single "they".

Information is coming in from multiple sources, so we've gotten to a place where we choose the information that fits our desire.

And I'm not knocking you (so I removed your name in the quote), but I think we've all become reliant on finding that one "study". Well, this study says this... and that study says that...
    Honestly, I'm not smart enough to digest a study and adjust my behavior, especially in this area. That's what experts are for. There's tons of studies about cholesterol, but I trust an expert (i.e. my doctor) to distill it. I'm an expert in software engineering, so those are the studies I read, and I tell my boss how we should adjust our practices. I certainly don't trust him to interpret those studies. Sometimes you have accept an expert knows more about a subject.

And before some one says, "But first they said ... and then they changed and said .... ". Yeah, that's exactly what and expert should do - take in new information, evaluate it against a current belief or process, and change as necessary.

Doctors also thought that washing hands between surgeries was dumb. Thankfully, they changed their minds and recommendations.

And to your point, yeah, it was bad marketing. Experts in a field are usually terrible at marketing.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The problem is there's no single "they".

Information is coming in from multiple sources, so we've gotten to a place where we choose the information that fits our desire.

I’m referring to CDC/WHO guidance. But yes, people are also adding in the stuff they see on social media and it becomes cloudy. If a respected source had some objective data one way or another, I think you could get better compliance.

Right now it seems like a lot of paranoia and control. We haven’t gotten a handle on this potentially deadly virus so people want to cling to some kind of control over it. Like, if only people wore cloth masks then we’d defeat this thing and protect ourselves. If that’s the case, show some data.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Much to do about...

The cloth masks helping to inhibit the spread the bat bug, the droplets of saliva can rapidly dehydrate and make for an airborne distribution of the virus. A cloth mask provides a means of retaining the droplets before they dehydrate, reducing the airborne spread.

The globalist new age nitwits (oh how many greatly deserved blankety blank invectives could be strung together) have their agenda built into plans for the reaction to the bat bug. People should pay attention to what the nitwits say about it, what they say to each other and what they are doing.

I'm wiping it from one hock to the other waiting to see what they pull next. Gonna be quite a show to have much effect.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Much to do about...

The cloth masks helping to inhibit the spread the bat bug, the droplets of saliva can rapidly dehydrate and make for an airborne distribution of the virus. A cloth mask provides a means of retaining the droplets before they dehydrate, reducing the airborne spread.

The globalist new age nitwits (oh how many greatly deserved blankety blank invectives could be strung together) have their agenda built into plans for the reaction to the bat bug. People should pay attention to what the nitwits say about it, what they say to each other and what they are doing.

I'm wiping it from one hock to the other waiting to see what they pull next. Gonna be quite a show to have much effect.

So... wear a mask, stop the spread, and destroy the globalist plan? :dunno:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Most if not all of us carry a firearm on our person for an event that is very unlikely to happen.
    perhaps better question is why would you carry a gun for a situation that is unlikely but not wear a mask for one that is likely in today’s environment?

There's a whole lot of psychology at play and how we deal with with risks.

If you're in to that sort of stuff, you might want to give You Are Not So Smart a listen.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    In my small shop, we havn't been wearing masks. We figure that we work in such close quarters that we're gonna catch what the other one has. But recently, my co-workers suggested that I wear a mask, and I thought I heard some snickering and someone in the background mumbled " ... big improvement". I think it was my wife :dunno: . Wait ... WTF! Looking in the mirror, maybe they're right, but I still think they're a bunch of B****es.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    In the beginning, I would be very hard headed and thought, if I just use common sense, I'll be fine. That changed on June 4th. I caught the virus, not sure how but I was positive and it totally SUCKED.

Non-forgiving fever (100 - 103), body aches, joint aches, extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, rash, weight loss, headache, cough......for 17 days non-stop. It plays with you emotionally and physically.

I now wear a mask everywhere (not in car). I truly do not believe I could live through that again. A mask might not prevent that from happening, but I'll "feel" safer.

My daughter also had it and her experience was a lot like yours, except fever never got as high.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I do not wear a mask unless required to. Our work made it mandatory a few weeks ago. Sucks. I've been avoiding going to most places that require it. My dog has an important vet appointment this week, so I may have to wear it there. I'm not a real social person, social distancing isn't that big of a deal to me.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I heard a good analogy a few minutes ago. It’s like a sneeze guard at a buffet. It’s not going to block everything, but everyone appreciates it being there.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I look at it this way....if you want to wear a mask....do it. If you don't want to wear a mask...don't. We don't need a government mandate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom