GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I only wear one as a condition of employment or if required to receive services (and no other option is available). If options are available, those places requiring them don’t get my business.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Only when required for a doctor appt.. I’m pretty sure my wife and I already had it back in December

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wear one at work only because it is required by my employer. I refuse to patronize any establishments that require one* unless there is no other viable option,
    such as medical facilities. My personal observations lead me to believe that the vast majority of mask wearers wear them improperly thereby greatly reducing
    any benefit that they might possibly have.

* Menards requires a mask for entry. Our local store has, to date has sold over 40,000 masks at $1.00 ea. Multiply that by almost 400 stores. John Menard is laughing
    all the way to bank. In the name of public health, of course.

I'll be laughing when I email him about $40K of receipts from Lowes for new windows and a kitchen remodel with an explanation of why they got my business.
    This lays out my thoughts pretty well.

I attempted to venture into Menard's on Southport over the weekend sans mask out of curiosity. I received a very emphatic statement from the "security" stating that I "will need a mask.". I simply responded that i did not as nothing they have is that necessary and exited the store.

It did make me wonder how forcefully they can push the mask issue. Of course any physical action against the store security would be foolish but what if one of their overzealous enforcers attempted to remove someone without the police?

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Before all this started I had a case of R-95 ones so those are what I wear when I wear one out and about.

If you think surgical masks or n95 masks suck.... HAH!

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    In the beginning, I would be very hard headed and thought, if I just use common sense, I'll be fine. That changed on June 4th. I caught the virus, not sure how but I was positive and it totally SUCKED.

Non-forgiving fever (100 - 103), body aches, joint aches, extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, rash, weight loss, headache, cough......for 17 days non-stop. It plays with you emotionally and physically.

I now wear a mask everywhere (not in car). I truly do not believe I could live through that again. A mask might not prevent that from happening, but I'll "feel" safer.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    In the beginning, I would be very hard headed and thought, if I just use common sense, I'll be fine. That changed on June 4th. I caught the virus, not sure how but I was positive and it totally SUCKED.

Non-forgiving fever (100 - 103), body aches, joint aches, extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, rash, weight loss, headache, cough......for 17 days non-stop. It plays with you emotionally and physically.

I now wear a mask everywhere (not in car). I truly do not believe I could live through that again. A mask might not prevent that from happening, but I'll "feel" safer.

WHA?! Dang, glad you're over it

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I was lucky.... I stayed home. My doctor kept telling me, treat the symptoms and only go to ER if my O2 dropped below 88%.....

I cannot imagine those who had it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Many interesting replies in here, but yours is especially interesting. If you’ve already had it then I would think you wouldn’t need a mask. What am I missing?
    Sorry it was so rough on you. I wonder if those of us that think we’ve had it are being a little too cavalier (assuming we’re not in the ‘it’s a hoax’ crowd)?

For the record I’ll wear one in a crowded store, less likely to wear one locally, don’t mind when stores mandate it at all, happy to shop there, and had a few people ask me this past week all in aghast ‘you’re still singing in your church?!?’ which I guess is a thing now.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Don't wear one anywhere, that's my choice. I also don't go around anyone else if I can help it and when I'm out and about I keep the social distancing as much as possible. For those of you wearing masks, the hospital masks are about 40 some % effective and the N95 are, as they say in the name, 95% effective. Cloth masks are not worth wearing and don't do a damn thing. All those wearing them are doing nothing but virtue signaling. Yes, you *may* prevent some stuff coming out if you're coughing or sneezing, but particles are getting through that cloth both ways with no problems at all. Wearing them is nothing but a placebo. I also remember when the virus first kicked off watching a video from some doctor or hospital outlining the procedure you have to go through to prevent catching the virus, even while wearing a mask and gloves. It was a very extensive process (putting on and taking off everything, decontaminating and such) and they said if you didn't follow the process it would do you next to no good. I think most of the people wearing masks just feel like they're doing something when they're probably doing pretty much nothing at all. Possibly helpful to prevent others from catching it, but that's about it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just got an email that now Elkhart county is mandating everyone wear a mask at all times while in public, starting at 12:01am today until they decide otherwise...

Gonna be pretty exciting to see how that goes over on the 4th.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Don't wear one anywhere, that's my choice. I also don't go around anyone else if I can help it and when I'm out and about I keep the social distancing as much as possible. For those of you wearing masks, the hospital masks are about 40 some % effective and the N95 are, as they say in the name, 95% effective. Cloth masks are not worth wearing and don't do a damn thing. All those wearing them are doing nothing but virtue signaling. Yes, you *may* prevent some stuff coming out if you're coughing or sneezing, but particles are getting through that cloth both ways with no problems at all. Wearing them is nothing but a placebo. I also remember when the virus first kicked off watching a video from some doctor or hospital outlining the procedure you have to go through to prevent catching the virus, even while wearing a mask and gloves. It was a very extensive process (putting on and taking off everything, decontaminating and such) and they said if you didn't follow the process it would do you next to no good. I think most of the people wearing masks just feel like they're doing something when they're probably doing pretty much nothing at all. Possibly helpful to prevent others from catching it, but that's about it.

WT, I get what you are saying and I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else otherwise, but honestly, the possibly part is good enough for me. I have someone in my direct household who I doubt would survive this, so I'm going to do what I can in case someone else who has to be out has the same situation with someone in their direct circle.
    Do I think it would prevent me from getting Covid... doubtful. Do I think it might just alleviate some amount of the possibility for me or others to spread it... yes.

That said, I'm doing as much social distancing, etc as I can as my primary reduction of risk for those in my household, which my job and other aspects of life are giving me the ability to do (while still having some work done at my house).

For me its about what's at stake and if I can reduce that, with the (for me) relatively minor amount of inconvenience it causes (again for me as I'm not being required to wear one by an employer while digging ditches), I'm going to do it.

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wear gloves and mask at work, and in stores. I don't get in crowds and practice social distancing. I use soap and hand sanitizer very often. I have 2 people in my family who would probably have serious complications if they got it. Not willing to take the chance. An ounce of prevention....

Bob

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I won't wear a mask. The only exception has been when I had to have my dog put down a month ago and wearing one inside the vet was mandatory.

I do wear gloves at work if I'm going to have to go hands on with someone (especially if they're bloody), but I've always done that.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    WT, I get what you are saying and I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else otherwise, but honestly, the possibly part is good enough for me. I have someone in my direct household who I doubt would survive this, so I'm going to do what I can in case someone else who has to be out has the same situation with someone in their direct circle.
    Do I think it would prevent me from getting Covid... doubtful. Do I think it might just alleviate some amount of the possibility for me or others to spread it... yes.

That said, I'm doing as much social distancing, etc as I can as my primary reduction of risk for those in my household, which my job and other aspects of life are giving me the ability to do (while still having some work done at my house).

For me its about what's at stake and if I can reduce that, with the (for me) relatively minor amount of inconvenience it causes (again for me as I'm not being required to wear one by an employer while digging ditches), I'm going to do it.

I get it. Everyone has to figure out what they feel they need to do and do it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wear a mask, choose not to, whatever.

I would just be glad if people based their decision one way or the other on somewhat reliable information, not on memes.

On one side, you are a serial killer of grandmas if you don't. On the other side you are bowing to the Illuminati and possibly taking the mark of the beast if you do (actually heard those).

The best information is that masks help to reduce the chances of transmission to some extent in enclosed places where distancing is not possible or practical. Do what you will with that information.

...the one meme I find amusing is the one about masks that have no ability to reduce transmission, but somehow block all oxygen and CO2....

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My whole thing about masks is, based on research I've done, if you're serious about it and are going to do it, use a proper mask (hospital or N95) and only use it the number of times it's rated for. Don't wear cloth masks as they don't do anything.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wear a mask, choose not to, whatever.

I would just be glad if people based their decision one way or the other on somewhat reliable information, not on memes.

On one side, you are a serial killer of grandmas if you don't. On the other side you are bowing to the Illuminati and possibly taking the mark of the beast if you do (actually heard those).

The best information is that masks help to reduce the chances of transmission to some extent in enclosed places where distancing is not possible or practical. Do what you will with that information.

...the one meme I find amusing is the one about masks that have no ability to reduce transmission, but somehow block all oxygen and CO2....

Agreed 100%.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom