• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    I dont wear one typically, but I do keep one nearby.
    I will comply when appropriate.
    Shopping where I can social distance? No.
    Getting my hair cut when I just CANT social distance? Yes.
    When asked politely by someone who prefers I do? Yes. (like my church secretary who's immune system is suppressed by drugs post transplant)

FORCED to by a store? Nope. I shop elsewhere.

This is exactly how I feel. I haven't heard yet whether or not we'll be required to wear mask when school starts back up, but I'm hoping not. If I'm told to by my boss, I will. If it's optional, I won't.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thats a VERY old mortality rate. I saw it was recently updated to well below 2%. 5% Was based only on the % of people who died that we KNEW were infected. Once we started testing others and finding asymptomatic folks it was MUCH more widespread and therefore the mortality rate dropped.

But if you take out everyone over 65 who died, it dropped to 0.0006%. So if you are not old, you dont have as much to worry about. (or otherwise have comorbidity factors)

You wear a mask (surgical one) to protect others though.Not to protect yourself.

It doesn't matter if you're old or not, you can be infected (without any symptoms) and spread it to others who will get really sick or died.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You wear a mask (surgical one) to protect others though.Not to protect yourself.

It doesn't matter if you're old or not, you can be infected (without any symptoms) and spread it to others who will get really sick or died.

snz9u.jpg

This French mother****er is right you know.

ram11397

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2020
    Dubois County
    I don't wear one normally. I had to wear one when i had Dr appointment (glasses kept fogging up lol). We keep hearing how many cases.Never hear how many have recovered?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I keep them in the bag and vehicles, in case I would need to go stealth. Hat and sunglasses too.

I have always been concerned about having to shoot my way out of a riot or the like. Never know when hiding identity might be a life saving option?

I'll be damned if I'll wear one for Nancy or Joe though.

GettyImages-1211399872.jpg

images

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Thats a VERY old mortality rate. I saw it was recently updated to well below 2%. 5% Was based only on the % of people who died that we KNEW were infected. Once we started testing others and finding asymptomatic folks it was MUCH more widespread and therefore the mortality rate dropped.

But if you take out everyone over 65 who died, it dropped to 0.0006%. So if you are not old, you dont have as much to worry about. (or otherwise have comorbidity factors)

I just pulled it straight off of the default Google answer. I don't know about you, but I got bored of digging down through the data for all of this weeks ago. I'm taking the easy answers at this point because even those aren't scary, IMO.

If we're to believe all of the guidelines, staying 6 feet away from others is all it takes to do that. In the rare circumstances were I can't be _sixty_ feet from other people, you better believe that I'm at least 6 feet away. I have over a 3 foot reach so within 6 feet feels like a violation of my personal space anyhow.

Honestly, none of this has been a large change to my preferred lifestyle anyhow. Until Saturday I'd driven a total of 130 miles in 3 months and that suited me just fine. Probably left the house for groceries 5 times in that period and that's it. So... No mask for me. If my situation were different, such as working at a grocery store, I'd probably mask up too.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    When I think it is appropriate.

Because freedom.

And when my wife tells me to.

Because marriage.

Pretty much this. My wife has a serious heart condition and so it's just not me that I am making impactful decisions regarding. I don't hold any illusions that the mask is able to filter out virus sized things, but if it can help not aerosolize things or cause it to go as far in the air, etc then I'm ok with it.

That said, I've been really hard core seeking to stay out of populated places/crowds, doing curbside/online whenever possible, etc though so my need to actually wear one has been really low. That said, if I am interacting with folks who have to (for example, on the rare occasion I do have to enter a less populated place but do need to interact with a CSR who has to wear a mask, then I am reciprocating). I've had folks working in my house recently (renovations, etc) and asked them to mask up, and during the time I need to interact with them within distance, I am reciprocating ... even then I'm staying out of their way and in the basement working. I'm then hitting door knobs and light switches, etc with lysol at the end of each day anyone is in the house.

That said, I'm just really trying to avoid close contact, and almost any populated indoors settings, etc. I'm WFH, and my wife runs her business from home, and in the evenings helping with the business she runs, which places me in outside spaces without real contact with anyone, or fishing when it's not too hot to do so.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    If I go out amungst them I wear a N95 mask always. Not worth the chance of catching it or giving it to any family members.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just pulled it straight off of the default Google answer. I don't know about you, but I got bored of digging down through the data for all of this weeks ago. I'm taking the easy answers at this point because even those aren't scary, IMO.

If we're to believe all of the guidelines, staying 6 feet away from others is all it takes to do that. In the rare circumstances were I can't be _sixty_ feet from other people, you better believe that I'm at least 6 feet away. I have over a 3 foot reach so within 6 feet feels like a violation of my personal space anyhow.

Honestly, none of this has been a large change to my preferred lifestyle anyhow. Until Saturday I'd driven a total of 130 miles in 3 months and that suited me just fine. Probably left the house for groceries 5 times in that period and that's it. So... No mask for me. If my situation were different, such as working at a grocery store, I'd probably mask up too.

Yep it depends what you do, how close you have to get to people etc.

If you're a farmer all by yourself in the middle of a big field you don't need a mask.
    If you work in a store in close contact with hundreds of people a day you probably need one.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just....please, no one make the "stopping a mosquito with a chain link fence" analogy.

It's nonsense.

I feel like that's a variation of the punchline, "Hey, I found my class ring and the keys to a '78 Trans Am!"

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I have to wear a fear mask if it is a requirement of the location management, or not go there.
    No different from N95's, gloves, hard hats, steel toes, safety glasses, yellow/orange vests, dosimetry, hearing protection, air hoses, oxygen level detectors, climbing harnesses and tie offs, knee pads... whatever encumbrances (often making work conditions more dangerous or difficult) that they want to pile on. But in public on my own time, no.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I wear one at work only because it is required by my employer. I refuse to patronize any establishments that require one* unless there is no other viable option,
    such as medical facilities. My personal observations lead me to believe that the vast majority of mask wearers wear them improperly thereby greatly reducing
    any benefit that they might possibly have.

* Menards requires a mask for entry. Our local store has, to date has sold over 40,000 masks at $1.00 ea. Multiply that by almost 400 stores. John Menard is laughing
    all the way to bank. In the name of public health, of course.

I'll be laughing when I email him about $40K of receipts from Lowes for new windows and a kitchen remodel with an explanation of why they got my business.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I wear one at work it's required and since it is a hospital I really have no problem with it. I don't like them they are hot and breathing is different. I don't tend to wear one anywhere else unless it is required and I really need to go into the store.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom