Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Can the person carrying that firearm shoot someone around them willy-nilly so long as the person shot doesn't die? That seems to be your argument, that if they don't die their rights weren't violated. After all, there's only the right to life, not the right to not get shot.
    :scratch:

I don't think Chip's analogy is perfect, but the point it makes isn't the one you assert he made. You're the one saying that not wearing a mask is like shooting willy-nilly. He never made any such claim.

So argue the point he's making.

Merely possessing a firearm isn't evidence that the carrier has put those around him in danger, even though there may be a nonzero risk to those around him because **** happens. Contrasting that with masks, a person who has no symptoms merely not wearing a mask, isn't evidence that those around him are in danger, even though there is a nonzero risk that the person may have coronavirus asymptomatically/presymptomatically and could spread it. The difference here is that there is still a non-zero risk, if the person is asymptomatic/presymptomatic of spreading it. But the person has to actually have it to spread it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Is a person responsible for the reasonably foreseeable harm he causes to another person who is acting within their own rights?
    Please prove the "reasonably foreseeable harm" caused by someone who has no symptoms of infection merely being in a public place, breathing.

The default position is "no harm caused". You bear the burden to prove otherwise.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Agreed.
    We do require liability insurance "FOR JUST DRIVING" to protect others. We do in some instances charge people with reckless driving even if no one else was harmed. But again, this is a bad parallel because we're talking about a privilege.

So why is it that you apparently support the position that we afford more protection of the free exercise of what is mere privilege (driving) than we do of the free exercise of a fundamental right (breathing)?

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You have set up a false paradox because you misunderstand rights. It's not possible to have a right to harm another person.
    You still haven't proven that harm is caused.

More importantly: it is not possible to have a right not to be harmed (i.e. a right to be free from harm - just as it is not possible to have a right to be free from fear, want, disease, etc.) One merely has a right to act such as to protect oneself from the risk or threat of harm.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    This is a calm, reasoned article in which the author opines that WRT Covid, everything should be back to normal. WRT immunity in the absence of antibodies, antigen-specific T cells would explain my experience from last winter. Hopefully, it will reassure some who are more worried about this than I am.

We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Seeing that it's in California, I'm sure the mask mandate is from the state, so why hassle the store employees? Go storm Newsom's office if you don't like it. Even here, most businesses have signs that say something to the effect of "Per the governor's mandate, we require all customers to wear masks".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Seeing that it's in California, I'm sure the mask mandate is from the state, so why hassle the store employees? Go storm Newsom's office if you don't like it. Even here, most businesses have signs that say something to the effect of "Per the governor's mandate, we require all customers to wear masks".
    Hover your mouse over the top left icon in the video... assuming you're at a computer.
    It’s Trader Joe’s. If you have ever been to one then you understand.
    My wife goes there... Perhaps you can explain?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom