• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    From that link to this one:

But Kirkey told us masks don't hurt you.

Not defending Kirk, but that study doesn't really mean all that much. They tested the air inside the mask, that air is only a very small amount of what a person would breath in. And yes it will have a higher ppm of CO2, it's holding your exhaled air. If they had tested arterial blood gas that would be telling. Cup your hands in front of your nose and mouth but without touching, when you exhale and for a short time after at least under calm conditions the air between your face and hands will contain a higher ppm of CO2 compared to the ambient air.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not defending Kirk, but that study doesn't really mean all that much. They tested the air inside the mask, that air is only a very small amount of what a person would breath in. And yes it will have a higher ppm of CO2, it's holding your exhaled air. If they had tested arterial blood gas that would be telling. Cup your hands in front of your nose and mouth but without touching, when you exhale and for a short time after at least under calm conditions the air between your face and hands will contain a higher ppm of CO2 compared to the ambient air.
    We saw the actual effect on the wife happen in real time. I was told that what we experienced couldn't happen and we were liars.... so yeah. **** him.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    We saw the actual effect on the wife happen in real time. I was told that what we experienced couldn't happen and we were liars.... so yeah. **** him.
    Yeah I saw that, and I also stated I wasn't defending him. Just pointing out the flaws of that study and that it doesn't really mean much. And for your wife, it may have been psychological rather than the physical characteristics of the mask. I know my mother would not have been able to wear one, simply for psychological reasons. She was severely claustrophobic, when taking a breathing treatment that had a mask she had to hold it maybe a 1/4 inch away from her face otherwise she would feel like she couldn't breath and panic. This is not discounting or minimizing you're wife's experiences.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah I saw that, and I also stated I wasn't defending him. Just pointing out the flaws of that study and that it doesn't really mean much. And for your wife, it may have been psychological rather than the physical characteristics of the mask. I know my mother would not have been able to wear one, simply for psychological reasons. She was severely claustrophobic, when taking a breathing treatment that had a mask she had to hold it maybe a 1/4 inch away from her face otherwise she would feel like she couldn't breath and panic. This is not discounting or minimizing you're wife's experiences.
    Whatever studies are done, should be done on people who typically have lower o2 levels. If your lungs are very healthy and you always have 100% on the pulse oximeter, a mask likely isn’t gonna lower that reading. If you typically test 95, then any impact a mask has might be more likely to show up.

During the pandemic I did severally tests on myself with different masks randomizing what kind of mask I wore. No mask and a gaiter made no difference. Cloth mask made a little difference. N95 was a couple of percent lower on average.

A couple of percent didn’t seem to affect how I felt. But I was sitting with a sedentary heart rate for all the tests. I don’t know if exertion would have made me feel more out of breath. I’m not exactly the healthiest person around.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Whatever studies are done, should be done on people who typically have lower o2 levels. If your lungs are very healthy and you always have 100% on the pulse oximeter, a mask likely isn’t gonna lower that reading. If you typically test 95, then any impact a mask has might be more likely to show up.

During the pandemic I did severally tests on myself with different masks randomizing what kind of mask I wore. No mask and a gaiter made no difference. Cloth mask made a little difference. N95 was a couple of percent lower on average.

A couple of percent didn’t seem to affect how I felt. But I was sitting with a sedentary heart rate for all the tests. I don’t know if exertion would have made me feel more out of breath. I’m not exactly the healthiest person around.
    They weren't testing pulse ox, they were just testing co2 percentage in the mask compared to ambient air in the room. Yeah the co2 is going to be higher after you exhale, but unless you are taking very, very shallow breaths you're going to be inhaling a much higher % of ambient air compared to in mask air.

I'm not the healthiest person either, smoking for 30+ yrs (need to quit), some of the jobs I worked weren't the best for the lungs either, and mostly sedentary nowadays. Never tested with a ox meter but didn't seem to have much if any more difficulty getting around with a mask. But yeah if testing o2 it would be better to use people who are borderline. But with my beard, there was no way I was getting any kind of a seal. Would have been just as effective to use a face shield, maybe more effective.

Top Bottom