• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So state farm can.... well... be a good neighbor to someone else.

After working with Randy, state farm doesn't want to be a good neighbor. They said my gutters, chimney caps, flashing and 2 downspouts have hail damage but my shingles don't. Cool magic power of mine I guess?

I had issues with them in the past with an accident where a lady rear ended me about 6 or 7 times in a row in my old BMW(not the M5). Got that taken care of eventually.

Agent just takes money and offers no help. I emailed his office staff a simple policy question and their response was come to the office to discuss other policies(sales pitch)

So what company is better than state farm?

I would be using said new company for both home and auto.

I would love to call my current agent and tell him I found a better neighbor.

I've heard Erie and Farmers are good?
    I know all will most likely be more expensive than state Farm

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So state farm can.... well... be a good neighbor to someone else.

After working with Randy, state farm doesn't want to be a good neighbor. They said my gutters, chimney caps, flashing and 2 downspouts have hail damage but my shingles don't. Cool magic power of mine I guess?

I had issues with them in the past with an accident where a lady rear ended me about 6 or 7 times in a row in my old BMW(not the M5). Got that taken care of eventually.

Agent just takes money and offers no help. I emailed his office staff a simple policy question and their response was come to the office to discuss other policies(sales pitch)

So what company is better than state farm?

I would be using said new company for both home and auto.

I would love to call my current agent and tell him I found a better neighbor.

I've heard Erie and Farmers are good?
    I know all will most likely be more expensive than state Farm
    Yeah. After Randy came and checked out my roof, he told me a SF claims guy would try to weasel out of it even though it was definitely hail damaged. (they were nearing end of life anyway) But knowing a huge storm came through recently he told me to roll the dice because there was a good chance I'd get an independent contractor who gets paid per job. Sure enough, a couple days after I filed with my agent, I get a call from a TX number. It was the contractor that wanted to come look at my roof.

Sure enough, I needed shingles due to hail damage. Also some screen damage and siding damage I hadnt noticed. I'm pretty sure SF would have told me to pound sand otherwise. Good luck. Ive got one eye out as well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Independent agent that works with multiple companies has been good to me over the years. Of course, it's still the insurance company that handles the claims, etc, but I've had good outcomes on claims, with the companies my agent has had me with over the years.

And I can have my agent compare rates for me specifically for my desired coverages with any of the companies she handles whenever I ask.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    By this time last year we gotten SF to replace our hail damaged roof. If it weren’t for the contractor they probably wouldn’t have done it. My wife totaled two cars within a few months of each othe and they did right by us for them. We’re pretty happy with them. Having said that, towards the end of the roof job they handed out case over to another adjuster. We had a situation of a comparatively small amount that the contractor thought he had a verbal arrangement with the first adjuster but after he moved on the new adjuster refused to hear it. I guess it might depend on who you get handling your cases.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I am in much the same position. After 2 attempts to get State Farm to honor their policy for hail damage on our roof, both refused, we have given up.

We are now in the process of paying entirely out of pocket for what should have been an insurance claim. My wife even had video of inch to inch and a quarter hail right before the last claim. It was still refused.

She is concerned our insurance will be canceled, so as soon as the roof is done we are moving on to hopefully another insurance company, with some degree of integrity.

It won't help me, but I do hope it might help others and a similar situation as soon as the roof is done I intend to write to the attorney General of Indiana asking that he investigate State Farm for fraud.

I have asked our roofing contractor if He would be willing to speak with the Attorney General's office and he indicated he would.

I too am looking for an insurance company which will honor their commitments. I'll check back here from time to time.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I expect to be changing carriers as well, currently with Safeco (home/auto) but will probably be moving them to Erie in the near future after Safeco effectively denying an adequate claim.

Had ZERO, zip, zilch, nada help from Mayfield Insurance (Mooresville), if I remember correctly some of Peggy's campaign contributions came from an insurance pac.

I will absolutely NOT consider Allstate, haven't heard anything good about them for a while. Involved in a RE transaction where they were denying hail damage to the homenwoer, ALL houses around it had new roofs. It still isn't resolved, Allstate is fighting tooth & nail.

So far off my list;
    • Safeco
    • Allstate
    • State Farm (thanks to input here on INGO)
    I have heard good things about Erie & have a couple of policies with them now.

There may be those that chime in with "I have State Farm (or .....) & am happy with them with no problems" or something to that effect.

Problem is, you think everything is OK, till it is not. Just because a company may have been good 3+ years ago does not mean they are anymore.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    They said my gutters, chimney caps, flashing and 2 downspouts have hail damage but my shingles don't. Cool magic power of mine I guess?
    I feel your pain. I had the same exact thing told to me. Weird how vents that are smack-dab in the middle of my shingles had hail damage but the shingles did not. I used the payout for the vents/gutters to replace my shingles. Funny enough, I left the gutters and vents as is.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I will probably file a formal complaint with the AG's office, I recommend everyone having issues do the same.

I heard the governor of OK made a statement that the insurance companies there were expected to pony up (my words) & pay claims as expected. Wish we have a governor worth more than .02

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    They said my gutters, chimney caps, flashing and 2 downspouts have hail damage but my shingles don't. Cool magic power of mine I guess?
    Are you me ? I am having literally the exact same issue with State Farm. Their adjuster said my shingles were fine and closed the claim stating the damage would cost less than my thousand dollar deductible.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Might be far for you, but Gordon Insurance in Noblesville always takes care of my folks. Not sure if they would make a road trip to your area or if you care about physical proximity?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have had Erie for 5 decades in WV, OH & IN.
    I had signed up with a friend who was an independent agent who got me started with Erie in my early 20s (1973).
    I previously had State Farm.
    Absolutely no issues.

- Hail damage on roof & aluminum siding.
    Didn't file until 2 yrs after big storm came through the neighborhood & everyone was getting their roofs repaired b/c roof was near end of life & I didn't think it would be covered.
    Didn't even know about the siding damage on 2 sides of the house.

- Water damage in bathroom due to a shower being left on.

- Daughter had an accident as a teen, no damage to our car, but other person had to ruin front end avoiding hitting her.
    - Son had a small issue with bumper, not his fault & later had an accident that totaled a $5000 car (my beloved 1994 Honda del sol convertible).
    - Wife had extensive damage ($6K) on a Toyota when someone ran a stop sign.
    - I backed out of driveway same time as neighbor did & $2500 fender damage (none to my car).
    - Recently, someone totaled our Subaru who ran a red light.

Totally happy with Erie.
    Every 2-3 yrs I check & see if their rates can be beat, but have only found they can by a few bucks a year, so it is not worth changing since we've been with them so long & they won't cancel us or raise our rates (b/c of a particular incident).

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Are you me ? I am having literally the exact same issue with State Farm. Their adjuster said my shingles were fine and closed the claim stating the damage would cost less than my thousand dollar deductible.
    Randy told me I had damage but he was worried the age of my roof would lessen my chances of them agreeing to pay for a new one. He was right.

I hate state farm.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Randy told me I had damage but he was worried the age of my roof would lessen my chances of them agreeing to pay for a new one. He was right.

I hate state farm.
    Is Randy an independent adjuster ? I've seen his name mentioned a couple times in this thread.

I have a "total replacement cost" type A-1 policy and the roof is only 9 years old. I also have a large garage that was damaged as well, so I think State Farm denied my claim because it would be a pretty big check to cut to fix everything. Its funny though because my next door neighbor also has State Farm and they approved his roof and all his other damage with no questions asked. The only difference is he had to pay a portion of his roof out of pocket.

As soon as I resolve things with Scum Farm, I am going to switch companies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is Randy an independent adjuster ? I've seen his name mentioned a couple times in this thread.

I have a "total replacement cost" type A-1 policy and the roof is only 9 years old. I also have a large garage that was damaged as well, so I think State Farm denied my claim because it would be a pretty big check to cut to fix everything. Its funny though because my next door neighbor also has State Farm and they approved his roof and all his other damage with no questions asked. The only difference is he had to pay a portion of his roof out of pocket.

As soon as I resolve things with Scum Farm, I am going to switch companies.
    Randy is @CHCRandy , INGO member, and roofing contractor...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When my house burned almost 3 years ago I was in a panic.
    I had no clue what I was going to do.
    I had never filed a claim, only paid the premiums.
    The day of the fire I called my agent (independent), who put me in touch with the claims adjuster.
    Indiana Farmers Insurance treated me like royalty.
    They answered every question, paid to replace my house, at current market costs.
    They even paid me as a contractor to do much of the work.

I cannot say enough good about Indiana Farmers Insurance company.
    Now, having said all that, when I went to my agent to get coverage on my new house some 3 years later, I told her that if Indiana Farmers were anywhere close to competitive, that I wanted to go with them.
    Unfortunately they are not competitive now.
    My uncle suggested Auto Owners insurance and oddly enough, that is who my agent said has the best price on the policy I want.
    Uncle has had a couple of claims with them and said they are great with claims.

Top Bottom