• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I don't like them, I don't want them on me, but I don't freak out about them, my wife on the other hand, is scared to death of them... I guess she won't be doing any fishing with me this year!

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I'm itching just reading this thread. None on me but have pulled probably 20 off the dogs. My tick magnet aussie sheperd is allergic to tick collars.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    The turkey ticks are the worst. This is the first year we have had them here and they really are the smallest ticks I have ever seen.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My place has always been good tick habitat, just goes with living in the southern woods. Spray down with a solution of termite and carpenter ant killer and they stay away.:)

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Pulled a turkey tick off my leg this morning. That was just from riding around on the Ranger in the woods. Also found out that a 50/50 solution of water and vanilla extract sprayed on will keep everything away. Gnats, mosquitoes, flies, should have put some on my legs, didn't think about that. Has anyone else tries this? Of course the draw back is that you smell like a French "vanilla" whore.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dammit... I hate hearing all this. I really thought the harsh winter would help too, but apparently not! I hate ticks, but given the choice between ticks and chiggers, I'll take the ticks.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Ticks over chiggers, are you sure about that? Lyme disease is nothing compared to...the meat allergy! Prepare to be frightened:

Red meat allergies likely result of lone star tick -- ScienceDaily

Tick bites blamed for red-meat allergies

Rare Meat Allergy Caused By Tick Bites May Be On The Rise : The Salt : NPR

Several articles have blamed the deer population for the explosion of ticks. I don't know if that is the case or not, but if so I'd rather eliminate the deer (again) rather than risk being forced to be a vegetarian.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ticks over chiggers, are you sure about that? Lyme disease is nothing compared to...the meat allergy! Prepare to be frightened:

Red meat allergies likely result of lone star tick -- ScienceDaily

Tick bites blamed for red-meat allergies

Rare Meat Allergy Caused By Tick Bites May Be On The Rise : The Salt : NPR

Several articles have blamed the deer population for the explosion of ticks. I don't know if that is the case or not, but if so I'd rather eliminate the deer (again) rather than risk being forced to be a vegetarian.

Oh damn... I may have to rethink this. If I were allergic to red meat, life may no longer be worth living!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Me and a buddy went hammock camping yesterday at Shirley Creek in HNF near West Baden (zip lined at Lark Valley Zip Lines and had a blast!) and from the time I woke up this morning to finally getting home and showered, I have removed 9 ticks. I've never seen them this bad before.

Of course, my buddy had zero on him. Lucky sack!

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    It has been said that every creature has a purpose, but ticks and politicans have me doubting...
    Ha!
    Sharks and lawyers- they eat you alive
    ticks and politicians- they suck your blood slowly, but don't kill you so you can feed them longtime (Vietnamese accent here)

Who is your shadow animal?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got back from camping all weekend at Lake Monroe and the ticks were out in force. I probably found 10 or more on me, but only two actually "attached" themselves to me. They were tiny! I don't know if it's just because they were still immature, or whether it was a different type of tick than I usually see. The good news is, I got no chigger bites. :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I am crawling out of my skin.Thanks guys(spent most the last few days in the woods).I did use permethrin spray though.We buy half gallons of 10% at Rural King(online now only a quart http://www.ruralking.com/pbi-gordon-permethrin-10-1-quart.html dilute it to spray the yard at around 70 to one and a few of our shorter trails.I have also taken a one gallon pump up sprayer and used it camping.The added bonus of area spraying is it kills/keeps mosquitoes away as well.We use a more diluted version for boots,hats,pants ect.Still end up needing deet deep in the woods though.

Hate them.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Man I don't know where you guys are finding your ticks. My nephew went hiking through a pasture of crotch high grass and through the woods to fish, not a single tick? I didn't use spray, the fish don't like the smell of it. Maybe you guys are just sweeter than me? Wearing shorts and a sleeveless Tshirt, btw.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Just got back from camping all weekend at Lake Monroe and the ticks were out in force. I probably found 10 or more on me, but only two actually "attached" themselves to me. They were tiny! I don't know if it's just because they were still immature, or whether it was a different type of tick than I usually see. The good news is, I got no chigger bites. :)

The tiny ones are deer ticks. They are about the size of the head of a pin. I've had them on my cats so small that I had to use a magnifying glass and tweezers to make sure it was a bug and not dirt as I pulled them off. The orange kitty had them around his eyes, ears, nose and mouth constantly. They showed up really well on him than the darker cats. The deer ticks are the main ones known for carrying Lyme disease.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I have removed 9 ticks. I've never seen them this bad before.

Of course, my buddy had zero on him. Lucky sack!

This always kind of unnerves me. I don't get ticks very often when others are saying they do. Makes me wonder if I'm missing them?
    I did get up in the night to take a wiz and discovered one on my calf though yesterday. I worried about more being in the bed for half a second, then crashed. Busy time of year.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    I am also one of those people that doesn't attract ticks, or chiggers. Despite being an avid hunter/outdoorsman and having served in the Army. I can honestly say I have never had a tick latch on to me. While hunting I have seen ticks crawling on my clothing and simply flicked them off. The guys that I hunt with always seem to get a few latched on and often in bad places. While fishing in TN one summer, I got a few chigger bites around my ankles, while my friends were loaded with them. In the Army guys would get covered with chiggers and I got none. While at PLDC and running around the woods, I remember flicking the little buggers off my BDU's but never got any. During the summer I might spray some deet on me, but that's only because I do get bit by mosquitos. I use regular soap and eat regular food. Don't know why they don't like me, but I'm not complaining!

Top Bottom