Thoughts on low capacity 9mm carry for self defense ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    MIJ had me thinking. My kid has a Glock 43 in the safe, and he is away at college. Maybe I need to try it out. I have carried my trusty PPS since before the G43 and Sig P365 was an option. There are times it would be nice to have a slightly smaller pistol that tucks away and conceals better.
    I’ve got a butt load of short bbl. revolvers, 38, 357, 44 spec. all lighter and shorter than my smallest self defense caliber autos, it’s just becoming a true question reguarding the hassle factor.

That is given my personal need, if ever, of needing a side arm around the farm and my AO. As stated up thread I don’t carry those to a city, but for EDC. That’s my only concern. I’ve unholstered 2 times in 30 years. Police were here within a few minutes.

A true thank you for your reply.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I’ve got a butt load of short bbl. revolvers, 38, 357, 44 spec. all lighter and shorter than my smallest self defense caliber autos, it’s just becoming a true question reguarding the hassle factor.

Again just my personal experience, but I find it easier to shoot an LCR than a G43. The shape of the grip and the relative grippy feel of the rubber vs hard plastic are the reason, IMO. I can't shoot a splinter grip J-frame or Colt D-frame worth a damn, either.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Again just my personal experience, but I find it easier to shoot an LCR than a G43. The shape of the grip and the relative grippy feel of the rubber vs hard plastic are the reason, IMO. I can't shoot a splinter grip J-frame or Colt D-frame worth a damn, either.

I had a tuned up S&W 642 that I shot very well compared to other subcompact pistols. I ended up giving the little revolver to my father. I suspect it was because I shot the gun a lot and I simply have never put any time into the small semi autos.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had a tuned up S&W 642 that I shot very well compared to other subcompact pistols. I ended up giving the little revolver to my father. I suspect it was because I shot the gun a lot and I simply have never put any time into the small semi autos.

I feel like I'm trying to shoot the gun while holding it with chopsticks. The wooden or relatively slick plastic combined with the small diameter leaves me feeling like I have no reasonable purchase on the gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A very firm weak hand grip over a noticably tighter than normal strong hand grip is required to shoot the G43 consistently, without having to reposition every shot or two.

This kind of goes against 60/40 or 70/30 two hand grip (mild strong hand to separate trigger finger,) that we were trained to use for good pistol accuracy. When the pistol moves in your grip though, you gotta do what you gotta do.

There is a learning curve that's gonna take some rounds to adapt to. After you get to where your accuracy seems acceptable, a good drill for you is to go shoot some steel matches with your G43. Great fine tuning, after the eye opening.

Word to the wise. Don't forget to ease your way back to shooting a regular sized service pistol, in your quest to shoot the little gun well. Once you've mastered shooting the G43, don't think you are gonna pick up a bigger gun cold and shoot well. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

FYI- My G43 came with Talon grip tape installed. I'm sure it helps with purchase.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This kind of goes against 60/40 or 70/30 two hand grip (mild strong hand to separate trigger finger,) that we were trained to use for good pistol accuracy. When the pistol moves in your grip though, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I use a crush grip with semi autos and the Ayoob wedge with revolvers, regardless of size. The only downside to a crush grip is fatigue over time on a lengthier session.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I don’t own a pair of pants that don’t print my Kel-tech 380, jeans to Sunday suits, pants. I’ve been carrying it that long. Long before Ruger was in the market. But even then I don’t consider it my EDC.

I’ve become very interested in this G-43, and when I find one I will buy it. What’s another gun if not money in the bank. Nothing to loose in my mind.

The Shield also holds some interest. I’ll fondle one of them also, depends on which I find first I guess.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I’m 6’4” 260+ lbs.

If you're still that big, Mij, just buy a pair of S&W 500 Magnums, and strap one on each hip.
    You'll be able to kill (10) grizzly bears without reloading, and you'll never feel undergunned !
    (just helping a fellow older guy out) :D

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    If you're still that big, Mij, just buy a pair of S&W 500 Magnums, and strap one on each hip.
    You'll be able to kill (10) grizzly bears without reloading, and you'll never feel undergunned !
    (just helping a fellow older guy out) :D
    Holidays are almost over, guessing I’m approaching 270 now. :lmfao:

Jan. the 2nd is gonna be a bear. But * I can gain or lose 10 lbs. overnight if the circumstances are right. :thumbsup:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Partially due to MIJ I reconsidered my old 9 shot 9mm single stack. (Not really, it’s my vacation week and I had time to hang out at the gun store for a bit.) There was a used S&W CSX literally gathering dust in the case. Technology allows it to be smaller, carry 11-13 rounds, I carry 1911s as a full size option so the safety seems to pop off OK for me and the store owner treats me really good on used guns. So I snagged it yesterday. I have to order some holsters and run it through its paces.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Partially due to MIJ I reconsidered my old 9 shot 9mm single stack. (Not really, it’s my vacation week and I had time to hang out at the gun store for a bit.) There was a used S&W CSX literally gathering dust in the case. Technology allows it to be smaller, carry 11-13 rounds, I carry 1911s as a full size option so the safety seems to pop off OK for me and the store owner treats me really good on used guns. So I snagged it yesterday. I have to order some holsters and run it through its paces.
    Double cool. :thumbsup:

Bde

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Probably due to a perceived recent increase in handgun shootings I’ve traded out my EDC off farm from a J- frame to a 9 round 9mm . In my mind I’ve gained 4 rounds, but is it worth the hassle?

Off farm my chances of some kind of encounter are almost nil. But it still exists. My experience with the sidearm and caliber are extremely limited. Maybe a total of < 1000 rounds and maybe < 20 range sessions.

Iv’e carried a j-frame for ….well a long time. I’m quite proficient with one.

Iv’e been carrying this auto for the whole summer and I’m beginning to have doubts about the decision. Weight, size, big * holster catching on everything. Just looking for a group input, (this group). Keeping in mind I am fairly isolated and don’t interact with large groups much. Coffee with farmers at the small town cafe in the mourning is the most interactive I get. Of course going to a city is not part of my question?

Thanks.
    From what you’ve said…. Your need to carry is low priority…? One of my farmer buddies says he only wants a big bang to go off. He doesn’t want hurt or kill someone, just wants to be able to deter the threat. does that make sense to y’all? He carria 5 round 22.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    From what you’ve said…. Your need to carry is low priority…? One of my farmer buddies says he only wants a big bang to go off. He doesn’t want hurt or kill someone, just wants to be able to deter the threat. does that make sense to y’all? He carria 5 round 22.
    I’ll bite!

All due respect that is a very misguided thought process. He will end up getting it taken away and used against him. If anyone has reservations about wanting to hurt someone that is trying to commit physical harm against them they don’t need to carry.

Had a lady in class ask about “shooting them I the leg” I tried as politely as I could educate her that if that’s her concern she needs to rethink a lot of things!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County

That is given my personal need, if ever, of needing a side arm around the farm and my AO. As stated up thread I don’t carry those to a city, but for EDC. That’s my only concern. I’ve unholstered 2 times in 30 years. Police were here within a few minutes.

A true thank you for your reply.
    I have my EDC firearms, nightstand firearms, truck guns, and my under the cushion of the Love Seat gun. That happens to be a 6in 357 mag revolver, Astra made in Spain. Looks like a twin to M19 revolvers made by S&W. Uses same speedloaders!
    I have been practicing my fave Dirty Harry line.... Do you Feel lucky Punk...well, do you?

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I didn't read all. If you are not in a job dictating what you carry or where you go carry what you shoot best if you can. If you want more rounds carry 2.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It'll work until it doesn't. A reasonable number of random criminals are put to flight by missed shots or by the mere sight of a gun being pulled. It'll be fine for that subset. The other subset will **** him like a housecat if they get the chance.

TomWR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2023
    Probably due to a perceived recent increase in handgun shootings I’ve traded out my EDC off farm from a J- frame to a 9 round 9mm . In my mind I’ve gained 4 rounds, but is it worth the hassle?

Off farm my chances of some kind of encounter are almost nil. But it still exists. My experience with the sidearm and caliber are extremely limited. Maybe a total of < 1000 rounds and maybe < 20 range sessions.

Iv’e carried a j-frame for ….well a long time. I’m quite proficient with one.

Iv’e been carrying this auto for the whole summer and I’m beginning to have doubts about the decision. Weight, size, big * holster catching on everything. Just looking for a group input, (this group). Keeping in mind I am fairly isolated and don’t interact with large groups much. Coffee with farmers at the small town cafe in the mourning is the most interactive I get. Of course going to a city is not part of my question?

Thanks.
    I have very often heard said that a handgun one finds too (insert reason) to carry will be useless if it's in the gun safe/dresser drawer. My EDC is a LCP DAO .380 in a very comfortable ankle holster. It's small and light and I can forget I have it on me.
    I have it loaded with Critical Defense P+ rounds and feel confident the 6 shot magazine will stop most any threat.
    An extra magazine or two slips easily in any pocket I choose, if I am going into hostile areas, which is seldom.
    The DOA (double action only) means no fumbling with a safety, and no carrying with an empty chamber. Just pull and squeeze. If it's cold weather and I am wearing a big enough coat, I sometimes carry my Super Redhawk .44, 9.5 barrel in a underarm shoulder holster. I KNOW I'm carrying that! btw, I'm pink card lifetime, not that means much these days.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Can't help but notice that some folks kinda "hardware up," according to the perceived threat level of their location?

Doesn't that bring us into the same thought pattern as the gun fight we will end up in will be as we always planned?

:scratch:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Can't help but notice that some folks kinda "hardware up," according to the perceived threat level of their location?

Doesn't that bring us into the same thought pattern as the gun fight we will end up in will be as we always planned?

:scratch:
    I get what you are saying and you have a valid question. My take is like a couple things Tom Givens says. 1 if you have to take a bigger gun or more magazines “gear up” then why the hell goning the first place?

As far as always how it’s planned. I see a to. Of folks that have that one dimensional scenario where they are always the victor and the Bad Guy is always gonna stick to a script which most here know that just isn’t how it works!

I get it if someone wants a 15 shot Sig macro or whatever. What’s lost is if you look at civilian shootings it’s hardly a case where folks are going through 15 rounds. And 2 Hi caps are just there so you can shoot more before you have to reload

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I’ve become very interested in this G-43, and when I find one I will buy it. What’s another gun if not money in the bank. Nothing to loose in my mind.

I carry a G36 that’s not “much” bigger than the 43. If you are into 45acp you might want to check one out. 6+1 single stack.

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom