Thoughts on low capacity 9mm carry for self defense ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Can't help but notice that some folks kinda "hardware up," according to the perceived threat level of their location?

Doesn't that bring us into the same thought pattern as the gun fight we will end up in will be as we always planned?

:scratch:
    I think most people choose a carry option based on convenience. To be fair we all fall victim to that mentality. It isn’t the worst option, probably not the best. It’s unfortunate that we have to choose the best of the worse choices. Size vs weight vs capacity vs power vs accuracy is always a give and take.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I get what you are saying and you have a valid question. My take is like a couple things Tom Givens says. 1 if you have to take a bigger gun or more magazines “gear up” then why the hell goning the first place?

As far as always how it’s planned. I see a to. Of folks that have that one dimensional scenario where they are always the victor and the Bad Guy is always gonna stick to a script which most here know that just isn’t how it works!

I get it if someone wants a 15 shot Sig macro or whatever. What’s lost is if you look at civilian shootings it’s hardly a case where folks are going through 15 rounds. And 2 Hi caps are just there so you can shoot more before you have to reload

I think most people choose a carry option based on convenience. To be fair we all fall victim to that mentality. It isn’t the worst option, probably not the best. It’s unfortunate that we have to choose the best of the worse choices. Size vs weight vs capacity vs power vs accuracy is always a give and take.
    So true and that is the reason for diversity in mastering all the platforms to your best skill set. Having the ability to make all guns hit the target is comforting to say the least. You never know what pick up piece you may need to finish the fight with.

With all the parishioners choosing just one and defending that choice as the only choice, well, that’s on them.

Besides the target, they don’t know what they’re missing.

• Love
    Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So true and that is the reason for diversity in mastering all the platforms to your best skill set. Having the ability to make all guns hit the target is comforting to say the least. You never know what pick up piece you may need to finish the fight with.

With all the parishioners choosing just one and defending that choice as the only choice, well, that’s on them.

Besides the target, they don’t know what they’re missing.
    That’s one of the reasons I posed it as a question?

Unless you’re a diehard super gun fan (mine is better than yours, my way is better than your way) it’s an open option, if not, you get some honest opinions from experienced and concerned people.

That was my intention from the start.

Im down to either a 9mm 9 shot or 5 shot 38 spec. I personally don’t do the video game tactical rambo deal, but I’d like to at least have a horse in the race if it came down to that point. Thanks for a concise answer.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That’s one of the reasons I posed it as a question?

Unless you’re a diehard super gun fan (mine is better than yours, my way is better than your way) it’s an open option, if not, you get some honest opinions from experienced and concerned people.

That was my intention from the start.

Im down to either a 9mm 9 shot or 5 shot 38 spec. I personally don’t do the video game tactical rambo deal, but I’d like to at least have a horse in the race if it came down to that point. Thanks for a concise answer.

Given the choice the 9 shot 9mm is the better option. More ammo = More Better. Plus the 9mm is More Power and you can probably shoot it shoot it faster and more accurately. But if the little snub conceals better then that may out weigh the other considerations. If I remember correctly you mentioned farming? So concealment may not be a big concern. If a small 9mm is to big and inconvenient then your belt and holster sucks, sell some corn and invest in better gear and training.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've practiced with my current carry that's how I found out that 4 o'clock iwb is not good for driving.
    Glad you brought that up about reaching for the weapon giving away your intentions never thought of that angle.
    I'll probably buy that crossdraw holster and see how that works out.
    Crossdraw seems ideal when sitting in the driver's seat, and I'm right handed so the firearm will be pointed in the right direction once it clears the holster.
    I've always been watchful of transition areas. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to scan the area to be safe.
    Thank you for your input its always helpful when you can hear things from people who know.
    Have a Merry Christmas.
    Actually, I've done that for 20+ year, ever since living in NW Indy back in 1997-2000. I discovered that carrying OWB, in the 4:00 position, with a coat over it and the seatbelt fastened, that the gun was 'pinned-down' and inaccessible in a short-term response.
    I tend to wear a vest or light coat in winter (unless it's really cold out) so I can continue to wear it indoors with little concern from others, and picked up a Bianchi Model 7 3-slot leather holster to put the SP101 on the left side so as to a) have easier access to the weapon while sitting in my vehicle and b) if I were to ever have need to draw it quickly, it was already pointing at the driver's side window or front windshield, due to it's carry position. The 3-slot holsters tend to be a vertical carry on the left side, but still provides for easier access while sitting in a vehicle with the vest unzipped about half-way.
    This I learned after having a 'gentleman' get out of his vehicle, at a traffic light, come back, and start pounding on my driver's side window while yelling at me. Upon seeing the revolver in my hand, his attitude quickly changed and he hastily retreated back to his vehicle. I did not know the 'gentleman' from Adam but, to this day, I still think it was a case of mistaken identity, but still...WOW!

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    New in the classy's...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    New in the classy's...

I need to start doing that. I never used to have any guns I don't shoot on a regular basis or have a use for. Now somehow I have accumulated a bit of a stable. Some people are collectors and I get that, but for me there is no point in having stuff just sitting around.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I need to start doing that. I never used to have any guns I don't shoot on a regular basis or have a use for. Now somehow I have accumulated a bit of a stable. Some people are collectors and I get that, but for me there is no point in having stuff just sitting around.

Wasn't that long ago that I would have liked to have an extra G43 to live in my truck bag, as a BUG.

In the recent times, I have changed my mind on the G43. I'll still use it as the deep cover pocket gun for the very rare occasions I have to do that. My backup bag gun will be a G26 MOS, as soon as I run across one with the funds to throw at it. (Vert's fault...:rolleyes:)

Round capacity, combined with magazine interchangeability, trumps the smaller G43.

I have 17 and 33 round Glock mags sprinkled all over. Any extra ammo around lives in loaded mags, right? It'd be a poor move to not have a BUG that would take them.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Given the choice the 9 shot 9mm is the better option. More ammo = More Better. Plus the 9mm is More Power and you can probably shoot it shoot it faster and more accurately. But if the little snub conceals better then that may out weigh the other considerations. If I remember correctly you mentioned farming? So concealment may not be a big concern. If a small 9mm is to big and inconvenient then your belt and holster sucks, sell some corn and invest in better gear and training.
    Sounds like sage advice, can you recommend a better belt n holster than the ones I’m currently using. I always enjoy learning from someone with more knowledge.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sounds like sage advice, can you recommend a better belt n holster than the ones I’m currently using. I always enjoy learning from someone with more knowledge.

Wow! Finally back to what INGO is good for. There are several in this thread that can offer advice such as BBI, BWframe and cedartop. I am sure others as well but I know those guys carry guns in the real world and share factual experience.

What pistol are you carrying? Right now this very second I am wearing a Walther PPS with the largest 8 round magazine. Sitting in the passenger seat of my son’s car. Incidentally I work in Agriculture as well so I do understand your requirements.

Belt. Should be stiff and support the weight of the pistol on its own. Otherwise the gun/holster will lean out from the body. In my example the PPS is thin but a bit hefty at about 20 oz. The larger mag makes it top heavy. The belt is the support system and keeps the gun from moving. You should be able to squeeze the belt top to bottom and it should not roll over on itself. Buy a dedicated gun belt!!! I am wearing a BeltMan leather belt with the internal stiffner. I own other brands as well this is just the one I am wearing. My local shop carries the Magpul belts.

Holster. Needs to be made specifically for the gun you are carrying. It should hold its shape and stay open on its own. Yesterday I took a knife and cut up a DeSantis holster I was currently using because the leather was losing shape. I have no strong preference for leather vs kydex. Kydex is ready to go while leather needs some break in, but leather is a bit more comfortable. Farming? Kydex sheds sweat and water while retaining function. Remember One size fits None. I help at a gun shop and am ashamed that I sell stuff that is not the best because it is hard to stock everything. Just go online and order a holster for YOUR gun. Get it from a reputable manufacturer and don’t be cheap. Last week I bought a S&W CSX and went home and ordered two holsters for $180. So $350 gun + $180 holsters. Holster fit is personal, but if I/me could have only one it would be high ride mounted to the strong side in the 3 to 4 o’clock position. For small guns I like very little cant for a straight draw and the gun at three o’clock. Otherwise it sits in my kidneys while driving or sitting in that tractor seat. Larger guns I like a cant and 4 o’clock position. Pancake holsters allow you to shift the gun when seated. Right now I am wearing a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Everyone has their own opinions, but I've had good luck with the Daltech Force Super Bio Belt.

I've worn mine every day for 8+ years, and it still looks new.

For holsters, I'm a fan of the kydex / leather hybrids, as they allow you go reholster safely while carrying IWB. Crossbreed makes good holsters, and I buy them as "seconds" to save a few bucks, but they all arrived looking new.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Everyone has their own opinions, but I've had good luck with the Daltech Force Super Bio Belt.

I've worn mine every day for 8+ years, and it still looks new.

For holsters, I'm a fan of the kydex / leather hybrids, as they allow you go reholster safely while carrying IWB. Crossbreed makes good holsters, and I buy them as "seconds" to save a few bucks, but they all arrived looking new.

The BioBelts are nice and good choice.

The IWB crossbreeds and CompTacs are going to ride in your kidneys while bouncing in Tractors, Trucks or climbing under equipment. Plus they are hot. The holsters are solid but you can’t easily reposition them by simply pushing them forward or backwards. They will hold the gun, I have spent hours on a four wheeler running fields so yes they work. But that is when I managed a department and had to wear tucked shirts. When I knew field work was an all day affair I switched to OWB. I don’t disagree a tuckable IWB holster isn’t a good option. But won’t be #1 in an agricultural setting.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The BioBelts are nice and good choice.

The IWB crossbreeds and CompTacs are going to ride in your kidneys while bouncing in Tractors, Trucks or climbing under equipment. Plus they are hot. The holsters are solid but you can’t easily reposition them by simply pushing them forward or backwards. They will hold the gun, I have spent hours on a four wheeler running fields so yes they work. But that is when I managed a department and had to wear tucked shirts. When I knew field work was an all day affair I switched to OWB. I don’t disagree a tuckable IWB holster isn’t a good option. But won’t be #1 in an agricultural setting.
    Good call. Now that I'm working from home most days and in a rural setting vs. suburban, I should also look into an OWB holster as well.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I wear a Kore belt, and usually a Muddy River Tactical OWB kydex pancake holster when belt carrying. I also have a couple of Raven Concealment Perun OWB holsters that I like, but this model holster is limited to Glocks, S&W Shield and Sig P365 and P320 models. Vedder Holsters is a nice higher end ($90+) OWB kydex holster, but I think the Muddy River ($65) is more comfortable.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Smallest regular carry for me is a Shield 2.0 40 with a 357 sig barrel. I usually have a Vanguard Minimalist IWB or a Garrett IWB. I have a Sticky holster for long drives. I shoot it better than any other small pistol I've had.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wow! Finally back to what INGO is good for. There are several in this thread that can offer advice such as BBI, BWframe and cedartop. I am sure others as well but I know those guys carry guns in the real world and share factual experience.

What pistol are you carrying? Right now this very second I am wearing a Walther PPS with the largest 8 round magazine. Sitting in the passenger seat of my son’s car. Incidentally I work in Agriculture as well so I do understand your requirements.

Belt. Should be stiff and support the weight of the pistol on its own. Otherwise the gun/holster will lean out from the body. In my example the PPS is thin but a bit hefty at about 20 oz. The larger mag makes it top heavy. The belt is the support system and keeps the gun from moving. You should be able to squeeze the belt top to bottom and it should not roll over on itself. Buy a dedicated gun belt!!! I am wearing a BeltMan leather belt with the internal stiffner. I own other brands as well this is just the one I am wearing. My local shop carries the Magpul belts.

Holster. Needs to be made specifically for the gun you are carrying. It should hold its shape and stay open on its own. Yesterday I took a knife and cut up a DeSantis holster I was currently using because the leather was losing shape. I have no strong preference for leather vs kydex. Kydex is ready to go while leather needs some break in, but leather is a bit more comfortable. Farming? Kydex sheds sweat and water while retaining function. Remember One size fits None. I help at a gun shop and am ashamed that I sell stuff that is not the best because it is hard to stock everything. Just go online and order a holster for YOUR gun. Get it from a reputable manufacturer and don’t be cheap. Last week I bought a S&W CSX and went home and ordered two holsters for $180. So $350 gun + $180 holsters. Holster fit is personal, but if I/me could have only one it would be high ride mounted to the strong side in the 3 to 4 o’clock position. For small guns I like very little cant for a straight draw and the gun at three o’clock. Otherwise it sits in my kidneys while driving or sitting in that tractor seat. Larger guns I like a cant and 4 o’clock position. Pancake holsters allow you to shift the gun when seated. Right now I am wearing a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit.
    WOW, now I see a problem.

If you looked at the first few pages of the post you would see I am currently wearing a Kore belt, one recommended by many long term members, two different Kore belts actually, one for dress and one for everyday around the farm.

Second, I ”ONLY” wear Galco or Bianci form fit to to the
    model, leather holsters.

Third, if you look at my avatar, you will see a double full grain bull hide 1.75 wide .25 inches thick belt that will not even bend with a full size colt 1911. It also has a horizontal knife sheath just under the hat. Knife is in it. Made by my old harness maker.

Thanks for the advice, from an apparently much more informed and knowledgeable individual. I’ll keep your future “advice“ in mind when I see it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

If you looked at the first few pages of the post you would see I am currently wearing a Kore belt, one recommended by many long term members, two different Kore belts actually, one for dress and one for everyday around the farm.

model, leather holsters.

Third, if you look at my avatar, you will see a double full grain bull hide 1.75 wide .25 inches thick belt that will not even bend with a full size colt 1911. It also has a horizontal knife sheath just under the hat. Knife is in it. Made by my old harness maker.

Thanks for the advice, from an apparently much more informed and knowledgeable individual. I’ll keep your future “advice“ in mind when I see it.
    I run a Galco Avenger with my SIG 226 Legion. Love that holster. You really get some looks from folks and appreciated compliments from some folks. Dave Spaulding seemed to like it in a sea of Kydex LOL!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

model, leather holsters.

Many on here are long on advice and short on experience. So be careful of self doctoring on the interweb.

“I work in a gun store” or “ I was a cop for 30 years“ or “ I am NRA certified “ does not make them an experienced shooter that can perform under pressure.

It takes a lot more than a long paper trail of accomplishments. One has to put in the real work, time and money that it takes to actually know how to carry and shoot and then advise. Some on here have that ability but not all.

Professional Applications are not the same for Civil Use. One must know the difference.

Almost everyday I see the junk that Sammy Shooter shows up with that will get him kilt on the street. A magazine ad from Bucky Bravo or buddy that is a John Wick wannabe, spews its crap to the firing range. Cool is perceived. Dead is real.

Good luck to you and thank you for your posts.

See you on the range

Trapper

Reactions: Mij

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

model, leather holsters.

Your belt and holster choices sound like good ones. I really can not imagine why a smallish 9mm would ever get caught on things or be of any real inconvenience. Other than the overall inconvenience of carrying a gun. Heck, even my cell phone and watch seems to get in the way on a daily basis.

Top Bottom