thinking of purchasing a ruger 357 blackhawk convertible.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I Like them! The stainless really looks nice with the walnut but I would probably opt for blue (nostalgia I guess). Best thing is 9mm can usually be had for less money than 38 or 357. The 9mm still provides the same fun if you are punching holes through cans. Buy it and I'll break it in for you..

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have one and highly recommend it. I have the 6 1/2". I really like the 4 5/8th inch the most however all the dealer had was the 6 1/2 and the price was right so I figured I could live with it. I plan on adding a 4 5/8th" convertible in 357/9mm sometime as well as the 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible.

Blackhawks are great for pinking, hunting and carrying around in the woods.

You won't be disappointed.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I have a convertible but the 9mm doesn't stabilize terribly well. I don't know if it is the long barrel/cylinder gap or the .355/.357 difference, but most ammo likes to keyhole. It also shoots to a very different POI. Don't know if they all have this issue, but I have heard of others with it.

mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    There's big coon dog races and flea market in Lima, Ohio tomorrow and the rest of the weekend. Suppose to be a lot of gun trading there, I'll be looking for one. What's a reasonable price for a nice used one?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Coon dog days? Isn't there a big one in Kenton also? I was on gunbroker looking at them the other day. That's a good place to to see the real world prices.

boatswainsmate

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2014
    Howard County
    This started as the weapon your are looking at. I had the 9mm cylinder reamed out for the 357/44 Mag Bain & Davis and 12 inch barell added. It will throw out 90 gr hollow points at over 2000 fps!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've shot them and like em.
    As others have reported, the 9mm will probably not be a tack driver out of a 357/38 barrel. I believe that .357 bore is bigger than a true 9mm bore (.355 ... if my reloading memory serves correctly)

But it is definitely functional, safe, and fun, and as accurate as most people would ever need.
    If you like SA revolvers, there's not much of a downside

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have one. It's fun to shoot. I don't shoot it often. It's a blued 9mm/38sp-357mag. I should trade it off. My son enjoys it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Anyone interested in giving their opinion of the gun?

In this forum???? Nah...We all purty quiet about opinions and sech....:):

In re the Blackhawk??? Excellent weapon, built like a tank, and accurate to boot...It will shoot better with the .357 magnum/.38 Special than with the 9mm but nothing to fret about...Enjoy...I always thought they were a near perfect TEOTWAWKI/SHTF gun.....

mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    Went to that coon dog thing in Lima, Ohio today. If your interested in a long gun there's only a few thousand left to choose from. Didn't find the Ruger I was looking for, but it sure was fun trying to find it.

Top Bottom