• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What no love for the Hi-Point 9mm carbine?
    Not for the OP's stated intent of home defense. I've got a Hi Point 45 carbine, and it could certainly be pressed into service if I didn't have anything else. But if I was going to have only one pistol caliber carbine, it wouldn't be a Hi Point. Unless it was all I could afford, of course. But even so, at a current price of around $350 or so for a Hi Point carbine, I could probably find a budget 9mm pistol that would serve better as a home defense option.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Keltec Sub 2000 is actually a pretty nifty little 9mm carbine, IF you can find one.
    I know its rare, but what other carbine is known to fail on its plastic hinge point, rendering the gun unusable and I think unrepairable because the receiver is now destroyed? No thanks.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I know its rare, but what other carbine is known to fail on its plastic hinge point, rendering the gun unusable and I think unrepairable because the receiver is now destroyed? No thanks.
    Had one. Learned better. Never again.

Plastic feed ramps do not scream "quality."

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I have never heard of this issue. I do know that they still fly off the shelves, within hours and sell out online in the same fashion, so it apparently isn't much of an issue to others.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have never heard of this issue. I do know that they still fly off the shelves, within hours and sell out online in the same fashion, so it apparently isn't much of an issue to others.
    They apparently have had several bad bad batches of plastic. I havent heard of anyone not being made whole when they break like this, but that is still a pretty sketch design flaw. I'm sure if it were metal we wouldnt be having this conversation.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The Freedom Ordnance is still at or near the top. But me being me may be talking myself out of it. Looking at $800 for the carbine and doing some math of .223 vs 9 mm, it will take approx 5700 rounds to get my ROI back.

I wonder how long it would take me to reach that point?

It won't take much to finish out the rifle in .223. I might be better sticking with that.

I am finding out that they seem to not like coated bullets which is what I load. I suppose I could buy FMJ projectiles for the carbine, but I'd kinda like to stay close to what I'm loading for my pistols. Just a little hotter. Or I could just buy factory I suppose.

And according to some, the recoil is not any less but the sound it. Recoil on .223 doesn't bother me anyway. They are light shooters in my opinion.

Unless you good folks can give me more reasons to have one other than cheaper ammo. :)

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    I enjoy my Scorpion EVO and self built 9mm AR that takes colt style uzi mags. Both a fun to shoot. Lots of good suggestions in this thread and some other recent ones so you can't go wrong with any of them-really just comes down to what you like and how much $ you want to spend. Good luck!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The Freedom Ordnance is still at or near the top. But me being me may be talking myself out of it. Looking at $800 for the carbine and doing some math of .223 vs 9 mm, it will take approx 5700 rounds to get my ROI back.

I wonder how long it would take me to reach that point?

It won't take much to finish out the rifle in .223. I might be better sticking with that.

I am finding out that they seem to not like coated bullets which is what I load. I suppose I could buy FMJ projectiles for the carbine, but I'd kinda like to stay close to what I'm loading for my pistols. Just a little hotter. Or I could just buy factory I suppose.

And according to some, the recoil is not any less but the sound it. Recoil on .223 doesn't bother me anyway. They are light shooters in my opinion.

Unless you good folks can give me more reasons to have one other than cheaper ammo. :)
    I loaded 3.1 grains of alliant sport pistol under 147 grain coated lead bullets for my competition pistols, I upped it to 3.4 so I could use the same load for my fx9 and my pistols and I was shooting 1 hole groups off a rest and it was reliable!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I loaded 3.1 grains of alliant sport pistol under 147 grain coated lead bullets for my competition pistols, I upped it to 3.4 so I could use the same load for my fx9 and my pistols and I was shooting 1 hole groups off a rest and it was reliable!
    No issues with the coated bullets. Good to hear. I wonder why they advise to not use coated bullets? CYA?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    No issues with the coated bullets. Good to hear. I wonder why they advise to not use coated bullets? CYA?
    They recommend not using lead bullets, but coated lead (if coated right) won’t foul your rifling! If you go to their website and look at the team freedom tab, their female sponsored shooter (Sydney) one of her other sponsors is federal ammunition, and she shoots 124 grain syntech thru her fx9 (her dad says federal ships her a skid of ammo a year! (9mm and 22 lr) I guess that’s what happens when your a 16 yo girl who beats her competition like rented mules!

Plus she’s a really nice kid!

jhopson

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Trafalgar
    I use 3.4 grains Sport Pistol and 147 grain coated bullets in my Ruger Carbine. I also make the same ammo for my wife’s Keltec. We have shot several thousand through each carbine with zero issues. Of course we use www.Hoosierbullets.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom