• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The 15-22 is a nice rifle and mine worked great. It will accept many AR triggers if you wish to upgrade/change and you can use some other AR parts on them. Suggested source of info:

A lot of folks like to set them up as close to their ARs as possible to use for training.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Has a $50 rebate right now also.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Tippman is an Indiana company for those who did not know. They were at a match at North Porter County and I shot a couple of their rifles. Very solid and worked great for the two mags I shot out of them.

Edit: confused yet?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The 15-22 is a nice rifle and mine worked great. It will accept many AR triggers if you wish to upgrade/change and you can use some other AR parts on them. Suggested source of info:

A lot of folks like to set them up as close to their ARs as possible to use for training.
    $415 is pretty tempting. It wasn't the direction I was thinking of going, but I can this being a lot of fun. Especially when the grandkids get to shooting age.

My current two .22's are really nice. Nice to the point that I'd probably be a little nervous letting beginners shoot.
    Tippman is an Indiana company for those who did not know. They were at a match at North Porter County and I shot a couple of their rifles. Very solid and worked great for the two mags I shot out of them.

Edit: confused yet?
    I have owned a few of their paintball guns. I even got a tour up there once when I stopped in.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I shot a fa tippman 22 a couple of years ago at the Indiana state steel challenge match, they handed me a loaded mag, and the gun, I think I squeezed and let got the trigger as fast as I could, and the number was 3!

Three times and I was out of ammo!!! I handed the empty rifle back to them and I was giggling like I did the first time I saw boobies!!!

But if memory serves me correctly, the tippman is more than the m&p 15-22, and the reason is the tippman is all metal, and the smith is polymer (upper and lower)

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    If they came to eat my brains, they would go away hungry!;)

Ditto...

I left for the Marine Corps when I was 17 and one day old...

I thought my dad was the dumbest person on earth because every 17 year old has ALL the answers! ;)

About two years before I got back home,
    And was AMAZED how much wisdom HE had gained in two years.
    (The military will do that to you...)

40 odd years later,
    Having my brain eaten on a daily basis by life in general,
    I'm thinking there just isn't much left!

My wife loves her MP-5, can't say I like it all that much and for the cost there are other viable options..
    Just couldn't get her to go for anything cheaper that spends 99.99% of it's life in the safe.

I'm a big fan of the AR platform,
    Ergonomics, options, cost, it's hard to beat.
    If it's not suppressed, I simply would rather (personal preference) run a higher power chambering.

Like I posted before, interchangable mags with primary weapon, or side arm is always a good thing.
    Otherwise, SBR and sidearm, but that's probably because I was trained that way, had it drilled into me for over a decade, old habits die hard...

Good luck with your decisions!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, like I mentioned above, I have just about talked myself out of buying anything other than finishing the AR build.

I tend to do that more than actually buying something.

If I start to factor in setting up two rifles mostly identical with the exception of the caliber, I can't really justify the ammunition cost savings as a primary driver.

There would have to be some other tangible reason to have both or one that I can convert. I don't shoot competitions so that wouldn't be it.

I probably couldn't swap out, say a red dot, from one to the other without re-zeroing it each time.

I have no plans to go get a suppressor either.

Starting to think it was a passing fancy and my ROI would be much too long to spend the money.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well, like I mentioned above, I have just about talked myself out of buying anything other than finishing the AR build.

If I start to factor in setting up two rifles mostly identical with the exception of the caliber, I can't really justify the ammunition cost savings as a primary driver.

There would have to be some other tangible reason to have both or one that I can convert. I don't shoot competitions so that wouldn't be it.

I probably couldn't swap out, say a red dot, from one to the other without re-zeroing it each time.

Starting to think it was a passing fancy and my ROI would be much too long to spend the money.
    I can add that the 9mm will be a really fun steel challenge gun if that helps. :stickpoke:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I did shoot a steel challenge this past summer. It was fun.
    Well now that I think of it, the .22 Tippmann would be a good steel challenge rifle also.

I guess your only option is to get both.

Then you can shoot 3 guns during a steel challenge match.

Oh and you're right, they are fun.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

Cost, simplicity...
    I get it, not unlimited budgets and I you aren't sponsored (most of us aren't), there is that ammo cost when you shoot a lot.

I do longer ranges, I have 800 yards in the back yard...
    And I'm OLD & BROKEN.

If I take a dive onto the ground, it takes a wrecker to get me back up.
    I can sit for hours with friends ringing the gong at 100-800 yards (without using my major medical insurance). ;)

More power to the guys that want to run & gun, just can't do it anymore.
    MUCH too hard on myself when I was younger.
    (Stupid can REALLY hurt!)

My favorite rifle has always been a .22LR.
    Just not enough sometimes, but if you are just punching paper or ringing steel, why not?
    Its not like you need a lot of energy at the target, and the cost savings in ammo is a HUGE plus!

I have a few different .22LR conversion kits for ARs, and when people talked about 'Survival' rifles I always wondered why they didn't consider that bolt carrier adapter to give them small game capability, increased ammo count for the same weight.

Like I said, I think you are considering all options, but leaning towards the AR platform,
    Just another option for your knowledge base.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Built this 9mm carbine with parts purchased from four different INGO members. Have $645 in it.
    FM9 side charger upper mated to a New Frontier C-9 lower. Replaced the original 8" barrel with a 16" barrel.
    20211115_182919.jpg 20211115_182902.jpg
    Does not have LRBO, but that is ok with me. This is the third 9mm carbine that I have built. Will test fire it later this week. Plan on keeping this one along with my Ruger PC-9 carbine.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    If you don't mind a braced pistol, the Extar EP9 is only $449. Same controls as an AR9 with LRBO.
    StorePhoto-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Built this 9mm carbine with parts purchased from four different INGO members. Have $645 in it.
    FM9 side charger upper mated to a New Frontier C-9 lower. Replaced the original 8" barrel with a 16" barrel.
    View attachment 167931 View attachment 167932
    Does not have LRBO, but that is ok with me. This is the third 9mm carbine that I have built. Will test fire it later this week. Plan on keeping this one along with my Ruger PC-9 carbine.
    I could go for something like this! I just need to educate myself a bit more on what goes with what so I don't end up with a mishmash of parts that give me issues.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you don't mind a braced pistol, the Extar EP9 is only $449. Same controls as an AR9 with LRBO.
    View attachment 168019

Thanks. I'm not looking for a pistol though. I still want a rifle.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I could go for something like this! I just need to educate myself a bit more on what goes with what so I don't end up with a mishmash of parts that give me issues.
    The first two AR9s that I built were PSA kits. One on a PSA Lower and one on a New Frontier lower. Both ran well. Used them as loaners when I took friends to the range. Friends fell in love and bought them. Not loaning or selling the third one.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just different, the FX-9 has a lot of proprietary parts. The FM-9 and BM-9 are not that way, I think. Main reason is I already have the FX-9 and wanted to try the FM or the the BM.
    Good to know. I'd probably pass on the FX-9 for that reason alone.

Top Bottom