• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My pre-work work this morning inspired me to imagine a conversation between an older and younger Chrysler engineer.

The Thing

So, Kevin, Let’s see what you’ve been working on since you been here at Chrysler.

-----I’ve been designing the engine compartment of the new Ram 1500 pickup. Here are the drawings.

OK…these look pretty good…..but where’s the “thing”?

-----The “thing”? What “thing”?

Yes, the “thing”. The “thing” that makes a Chrysler a Chrysler.

----- I'm confused....

Kevin, you see, we here at Chrysler have a certain reputation to uphold. The old Chrysler Corporation, Daimler-Chrysler, Fiat-Chrysler, now Stellantis….there has always been the “thing”. The “thing” that sets Chrysler apart. You used to see all over, in and through every Chrysler product, but now it barely exists…but we still need the “thing”.

-----I’m not sure I understand.

You will Kevin, you will. I’ll give you an example. Let’s look at these drawings…. See, you put the oil filter right there in the open where anyone can get to it easily.

-----Yeah…doesn’t that make sense?

Make sense? Sure it makes sense, but that’s not the point. The body on this thing won’t rust to powder in 5 years. The engine itself makes great power and won’t throw a rod at 60,000 miles. The interior is attractive and well laid out. The headliner will even stay attached to the ceiling beyond its first winter. So, then, what makes this Ram 1500 undeniably a Chrysler?

-----I think I get it. What if I move the oil filter from there, to right above the power steering rack where someone can just barely reach it from one mysterious angle, but even then, there’s no way to get it off without spilling oil on himself and everything else? Anyone who tries to change the oil will curse the day the engineer who designed it was born.

Kevin, I think you’re going to have a bright future at Chrysler.

-----The “thing”?

The “thing”.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    He got hired from General Motors apparently.

I used to have a GMC Acadia and I had to remove the plastic in the wheel wells to change the headlights.

Or look up changing the oil on a newer Tacoma. I did it twice and decided it's worth it to just pay the dealer to do it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Those have nothing on my wife's 2014 Ford Escape. Changing the battery requires removing a huge plastic guard which has many fasteners (Auto Zone will change out car batteries, but not this one). Changing out the cabin air filter is a frustrating process as well.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My Ridgeline you don't even have to crawl under to remove the filter, turn wheel full right, reach in fender well and take off.

4 Runner - Remove front air dam 6 screws, remove engine skid plate, 4 bolts... lower heavy awkward plate to ground then the filter element is a piece of cake after you use the special insert to remove the trapped oil in the filter housing. Be gentle with the plastic filter housing or you will snap off the ears. Be sure to replace both O rings on the filter housing.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    05 Pontiac vibe, the oil filter was directly above the starter, after a few years of getting soaked with oil the starter dies, or so I found out in my four hour wait for a tow truck :wallbash: My F-150 isn’t exactly easy to get the filter, but at least it has a small catch funnel to direct the oil flow.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Both of my Chrysler products have easily accessible oil filters, but you don't want to deal with changing a thermostat on a 2017 Ram ProMaster City - 7 hours labor. But that van is less than 6 years old and has 220,000 miles on it. I've spent more on fuel than the van cost.

There was a time when you had to remove the inner fender well to change a heater blower motor on just about every GM car.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Had a 2007 Acadia, I can relate. First and only time I changed the oil I had to use 2 bags of oil dry. They put a crossbar right in front of the drain plug so the oil hit it and went all over the floor.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    V2Ax3D9.jpg

Top Bottom