• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What evidence led to that conclusion? Seems to me, although not 100% clear, the insurance company paid it. Surely they would not pay a ”shady” bill…
    There was something in the article about a similar repair being around 14K. I'm not going to go back and find it now though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It was. But we have no more evidence that was the correct repair than we do the subject was “shady”
    Or that the lower cost repair would have been the correct repair in this case. I remember a few years ago hearing about a Tesla that had $18K worth of damage hitting a pothole. And that was Tesla’s quote to repair the vehicle, not some third party Tesla authorized shop.

The repair included replacing a motor. Maybe don’t speed through a pothole infested roadway.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Or that the lower cost repair would have been the correct repair in this case. I remember a few years ago hearing about a Tesla that had $18K worth of damage hitting a pothole. And that was Tesla’s quote to repair the vehicle, not some third party Tesla authorized shop.

The repair included replacing a motor. Maybe don’t speed through a pothole infested roadway.
    In the case at hand, the vehicle in question was rear ended…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In the case at hand, the vehicle in question was rear ended…

Right. A “fender bender”. Some of these car companies don’t design stuff to be repaired inexpensively. I don’t have any reason to think the place was any shadier than any of the others. We’re not given what another shop’s estimate for the same repair is.

Maybe it’s the inexperience of new car makers. Tesla has made improvements in their car’s design. Maybe a pothole won’t do $18K worth of damage now. Maybe in 5 years, after they’ve figured some things out, and if Rivian survives that long, a fender bender won’t cost $42K or whatever it was.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A SMALL problem with brake lights...
    Namely, in certain 'drive modes', they don't actually come on.
    Surely that couldn't be a problem.

And, it turns out many ICE cars with 'adaptive cruise control' will also not light.
    This is when the car is in 'cruise control' and slows itself down because the car in front slows down.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

And, it turns out many ICE cars with 'adaptive cruise control' will also not light.
    This is when the car is in 'cruise control' and slows itself down because the car in front slows down.

I envy people that have enough uncongested traffic that they actually can use cruise control for more than a quarter mile or so.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Does anyone rely only on brake lights to determine if they need to brake?

People need to pay attention, and not just to their phone and maybe the car in front of them. They should be watching the road ahead.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

People need to pay attention, and not just to their phone and maybe the car in front of them. They should be watching the road ahead.
    No kidding. When I learned to drive I was taught that you shouldn't need to use your brakes when driving on the highway unless there is major congestion that would cause you to severely slow down. If you need to brake at normal highway speeds you're following to close to the car in front of you.

I often take my foot off the accelerator to slow down when doing highway speeds and *gasp* the brake lights don't come on.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No kidding. When I learned to drive I was taught that you shouldn't need to use your brakes when driving on the highway unless there is major congestion that would cause you to severely slow down. If you need to brake at normal highway speeds you're following to close to the car in front of you.

I often take my foot off the accelerator to slow down when doing highway speeds and *gasp* the brake lights don't come on.
    In this case though, taking your foot off the gas, will apply the brakes.
    But not put the brake light on.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

And there are times you need the brake light.

If they are mandated for your foot, then they should be mandated for the computer.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not exactly. It uses the engine to slow the car which regenerates the battery. Similar to engine braking, but with the added benefit of regaining some of your battery's charge.
    Regenerative Braking.

It's in the name

Regenerative.... "BRAKING"

There is a certain amount of time for the brain to recognize the speed of a car changing.
    There is LESS time to recognize a brake light.

That's why they are required.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Regenerative Braking.

It's in the name

Regenerative.... "BRAKING"

There is a certain amount of time for the brain to recognize the speed of a car changing.
    There is LESS time to recognize a brake light.

That's why they are required.
    Do you use the brakes when you engine brake? Braking does not mean using the "brakes". It means slowing the momentum of the car.

Here
    Regenerative braking is an energy recovery mechanism that slows down a moving vehicle or object by converting its kinetic energy into a form that can be either used immediately or stored until needed. In this mechanism, the electric traction motor uses the vehicle's momentum to recover energy that would otherwise be lost to the brake discs as heat. This method contrasts with conventional braking systems. In those systems, the excess kinetic energy is converted to unwanted and wasted heat due to friction in the brakes, or with rheostatic brakes, where the energy is recovered by using electric motors as generators but is immediately dissipated as heat in resistors. In addition to improving the overall efficiency of the vehicle, regeneration can significantly extend the life of the braking system as the mechanical parts will not wear out quickly.

Come over and we can take a ride and I will demonstrate for you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do you use the brakes when you engine brake? Braking does not mean using the "brakes". It means slowing the momentum of the car.

Here

Come over and we can take a ride and I will demonstrate for you.
    I worked on remote control cranes.
    They use regenerative braking.
    They just dump the electrical energy to large resistor banks instead of a battery.

It is still considered braking.

Top Bottom