• KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I worked on remote control cranes.
    They use regenerative braking.
    They just dump the electrical energy to large resistor banks instead of a battery.

It is still considered braking.
    You want the lights to come on every time a car slows down? So if you have a stick and you coast and downshift, your brake lights should come on? It really isn't much different.

We are not talking about hard braking here. I use the ipedal most of the time. No one has come close to hitting me yet. You'd really have to have your head up your behind to do so.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You want the lights to come on every time a car slows down? So if you have a stick and you coast and downshift, your brake lights should come on? It really isn't much different.

We are not talking about hard braking here. I use the ipedal most of the time. No one has come close to hitting me yet. You'd really have to have your head up your behind to do so.
    In the video, the braking was hard enough for items to come off of the seat.
    It states there are different levels of regen braking, for that model.
    Maybe you don't set yours as severe, maybe yours doesn't have the settings to do that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In the video, the braking was hard enough for items to come off of the seat.
    It states there are different levels of regen braking, for that model.
    Maybe you don't set yours as severe, maybe yours doesn't have the settings to do that.
    OK, I actually watched the video. That is the Hyundai version of my car, just slower. He is complaining that the car stopped in 13 secs without brake lights coming on until the very end. :rolleyes:

Only good thing from that video was it did answer my question about when my brake lights come on when I am driving. Otherwise it is nothing but clickbait.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No kidding. When I learned to drive I was taught that you shouldn't need to use your brakes when driving on the highway unless there is major congestion that would cause you to severely slow down. If you need to brake at normal highway speeds you're following to close to the car in front of you.
    I was taught the same thing, but it is not true today for us as no one else drives that way. Interstates around Indy go from 90-0 mph in nano seconds. If you leave proper spacing someone will just force their in your space then slam their brakes.

I have come to realize that no one does it like we were taught…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

There is an enormous difference between normal downshifting, a concept few even know today, and how quickly adaptive cruise can slow a car.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    OK, I actually watched the video. That is the Hyundai version of my car, just slower. He is complaining that the car stopped in 13 secs without brake lights coming on until the very end. :rolleyes:

Only good thing from that video was it did answer my question about when my brake lights come on when I am driving. Otherwise it is nothing but clickbait.
    How long before we have a thread about the lawsuits against manufacturers for not tuning the brake light system to warn others the car is slowing?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    ^^^ yes. I frequently use downshifting in the Corvette to slow down on the highway and many busy intersections because it saves fuel (DAFC-deceleration automatic fuel cut off). I watch my instant mileage go to 99.99 during deceleration.

My girlfriends Prius with its adaptive cruise control, will slam on the brakes if the radar sees traffic in front stopped or slowing down quickly. It surprised her a few times while driving.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How long before we have a thread about the lawsuits against manufacturers for not tuning the brake light system to warn others the car is slowing?
    Why don't you go find all of the instances of this being an issue? It's been around long enough it shouldn't be hard.

You take your foot off the accelerator and the brake light comes on. Seems logical to me

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why don't you go find all of the instances of this being an issue? It's been around long enough it shouldn't be hard.

You take your foot off the accelerator and the brake light comes on. Seems logical to me

Regardless, maybe it would be safer if the breaklights came on when decelerating above a certain rate. Why does it need to be switched on by a break switch?

When activated by the break switch, you can put one foot on the break and the other on the accelerator pedal. And the break lights come on. But you’re not slowing down.

The idea for break lights is to communicate the intention to slow or stop, but break light aren’t very smart. They turn on whenever you touch the break pedal regardless of your intent.

Technology exists to make a smarter break light. Shouldn’t cost much to implement.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Regardless, maybe it would be safer if the breaklights came on when decelerating above a certain rate. Why does it need to be switched on by a break switch?

When activated by the break switch, you can put one foot on the break and the other on the accelerator pedal. And the break lights come on. But you’re not slowing down.

The idea for break lights is to communicate the intention to slow or stop, but break light aren’t very smart. They turn on whenever you touch the break pedal regardless of your intent.

Technology exists to make a smarter break light. Shouldn’t cost much to implement.
    Possibly. That doesn't make it a huge risk though. This is more, if it is said about an EV it is something terrible. Even though it really is nothing all that new.

From what I am seeing, the car actually does turn on the lights if it decelerates at a certain level.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s how it should be. We were tech/cost limited. But are no longer.

Break lights don’t need to be triggered by pressing the breaks. Whether downshifting or using regenerative breaking, or pressing the break pedal to slow your vehicle, you’re effectively “breaking”. The rest is an argument over semantics. Whether powered by ICE, or electric motor, let the computer apply the indicator lights when appropriate.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It’s how it should be. We were tech/cost limited. But are no longer.

Break lights don’t need to be triggered by pressing the breaks. Whether downshifting or using regenerative breaking, or pressing the break pedal to slow your vehicle, you’re effectively “breaking”. The rest is an argument over semantics. Whether powered by ICE, or electric motor, let the computer apply the indicator lights when appropriate.
    *brake

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lol. I do that all the time. Was texting my son yesterday, I meant to say “wood furniture” and tapped in “would furniture”. He was confused about what I was saying.

Eh. I’ll prolly end up with Alzheimer's. I put the lettuce away in the cupboard the other day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lol. I do that all the time. Was texting my son yesterday, I meant to say “wood furniture” and tapped in “would furniture”. He was confused about what I was saying.

Eh. I’ll prolly end up with Alzheimer's. I put the lettuce away in the cupboard the other day.
    I've started to put food away in the dishwasher before, and vice versa (dishes in the fridge). :):

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Remember when they told you to charge your electric car at night during off peak hours so you could reduce demand on the grid, pay a lower price per kW hr and have a vehicle charged up for your morning commute? Forget all that. You should wait to charge your EV in the morning after you get to work. If you have the range to actually get there.

Top Bottom