• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think that’s been mentioned earlier in this thread. Maybe 25K? So maybe a year to break even on carbon. Today’s batteries last ~120K miles. So that’s a big reason not to buy an EV. You pay at least $60K for a new car, drive it for maybe 3 or 4 years, and by then you’re gonna need a $8k+ battery? Not viable to me.

But. I read where Tesla’s newest battery technology will have a much higher energy density and last 10000K cycles. If you get 300 miles per charge that’s like 3M miles. And the new technology uses much less rare earth minerals so they’re cheaper to make. So probably less carbon footprint making them. No idea when or if these batteries will be integrated in production.

The thing is, we can notice a lot of reasons to think EV’s aren’t viable now. Eventually technology will solve those problems. I’m not saying that EV’s will be what kills ICE (if that replacement were organic and not political). By the time battery powered vehicles could replace ICE, there’s nothing saying some other technology won’t displace that first. But ICE engines will likely be replaced by something. At least for common use.
    I don’t disagree with any of this. The part about this not being an ”organic” change is what disappoints me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The average driver does not drive anywhere near 25K miles a year. I only did when I drove 56 miles each way for work four to five days a week.

It is more around 15K.

EVs don't seem to be designed to be long term purchases, but rather more geared towards people that change cars fairly regularly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The average driver does not drive anywhere near 25K miles a year. I only did when I drove 56 miles each way for work four to five days a week.

It is more around 15K.

EVs don't seem to be designed to be long term purchases, but rather more geared towards people that change cars fairly regularly.
    Are you kidding. Hell, until recently I put ~30K a year. I used to think everyone did. :): And then came covid and lockdowns and remote work. Now, it took almost 4 years to put 30K on my truck. Even now we don’t go out a lot.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Are you kidding. Hell, until recently I put ~30K a year. I used to think everyone did. :): And then came covid and lockdowns and remote work. Now, it took almost 4 years to put 30K on my truck. Even now we don’t go out a lot.
    My wife used to put about 500 miles/month when she had to drive to Bloomington everyday. Remote work has saved us more gas than any EV would have. :D

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not kidding.

I used to drive over 30K a year when I drove to Chicago five days a week. Now WFH 100%, it is under 2K.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I read where Tesla’s newest battery technology will have a much higher energy density and last 10000K cycles. If you get 300 miles per charge that’s like 3M miles. And the new technology uses much less rare earth minerals so they’re cheaper to make. So probably less carbon footprint making them. No idea when or if these batteries will be integrated in production.
    I recently read that difficulty sourcing materials, especially rare earth metals, was leading back to lower tech in batteries in the industry, reduced range, but also much cheaper.

Tesla is not the industry, they are the flashy player.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Oh no!
    For many electric vehicles, there is no way to repair or assess even slightly damaged battery packs after accidents, forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric.

And now those battery packs are piling up in scrapyards in some countries, a previously unreported and expensive gap in what was supposed to be a "circular economy."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

EV batteries lack reparability leading some insurers to junk whole cars after even minor collisions​

Oh no!
    For many electric vehicles, there is no way to repair or assess even slightly damaged battery packs after accidents, forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric.

And now those battery packs are piling up in scrapyards in some countries, a previously unreported and expensive gap in what was supposed to be a "circular economy."

Great news, if you like this thread there is a whole page you may have missed? Just kidding. :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I really don't see any "gain" for the consumer in battery operated cars, the tech will make money for the chinese and local players with connections as long as the government continues to pour money into it. Much like other green scams, most everything will come to a halt when the subsidies stop. I am hopeful that tool batteries will continue, if there is one bright light to the battery revolution it's here in my opinion.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Many automotive manufacturers, including Tesla, have made battery packs a structural part of the car to reduce cost products but have shifted costs to consumers and insurers when batteries need to be replaced.

Unless carmakers produce more easily repairable battery packs, there will be a growing number of low-mileage EVs scrapped after collisions.

"The number of cases is going to increase, so the handling of batteries is a crucial point," said Christoph Lauterwasser, managing director of the Allianz Center for Technology, a research institute owned by Allianz.
    "If you throw away the vehicle at an early stage, you've lost pretty much all advantage in terms of CO2 emissions," he said.
    Sandy Munro, head of Michigan-based Munro & Associates, which analyzes vehicles and advises automakers on how to improve them, said the Model Y battery pack has "zero repairability."

"A Tesla structural battery pack is going straight to the grinder," Munro said.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Those aren't electric cars. Looks like the saltwater actually shorted batteries for ICE engines which caused the fires.
    I understand there likely were a few hybrids,but no pure electrics. It was humor.
    I could post a couple of the Tesla fires in Florida after the hurricane last year(4 happened) if you like?

kicks can. I was just having fun.

Reactions: KLB

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Apparently losing 3 billion is the cost of trying to build them quickly. This is just so far in 2023,not total losses for Ford.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Apparently losing 3 billion is the cost of trying to build them quickly. This is just so far in 2023,not total losses for Ford.

Looks like that includes them having to build all new plants to build them.

Top Bottom