• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I wonder how the proud electric car owners in Florida feel right now. They made a woke decision that potentially put their entire family’s lives at stake. Unable to evacuate or worse being stuck on a backed up interstate in the middle of nowhere without shelter as their battery dies.

Then there is the simple inconvenience as they wait for power to return so they can wait a few more hours to have transportation.
    How is that any different than being stuck and running out of gas?

How would people get gas without electricity?

Let's not pretend that the issues are so much different for an electric car over a gas car for this.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Let's not pretend that the issues are so much different for an electric car over a gas car for this.
    If I see a hurricane coming and I think I might have to evacuate, I can guy extra gas and carry it with me.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Because with proper planning you can avoid running out of gas. Always keeping your gas tank at least half full and when bad weather is predicted keep it full. Store additional gas in cans.

As noted above, plan ahead. Do truck stops have generators to run pumps?

This is different. To start with the driving range for most gasoline powered vehicles is 300+ miles. You have much greater control over how you manage your fuel (gas vs. electric) keeping it topped off, having the ability to store more fuel, easily refilling the gas tank in just a couple of minutes.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Remember, earlier this year when gas prices were spiking, and all of the smug "buy an EV and bypass the high price at the pump" remarks? I do. Gas may be expensive. But I can stock up on it and store it for a good little while. I can carry extra with me if I think I might get stuck on the interstate.

Have to love a guy that can answer your question before you answer it… LOL

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Because with proper planning you can avoid running out of gas. Always keeping your gas tank at least half full and when bad weather is predicted keep it full. Store additional gas in cans.

As noted above, plan ahead. Do truck stops have generators to run pumps?

This is different. To start with the driving range for most gasoline powered vehicles is 300+ miles. You have much greater control over how you manage your fuel (gas vs. electric) keeping it topped off, having the ability to store more fuel, easily refilling the gas tank in just a couple of minutes.
    As I said above, most people do not think that way.

Let's focus on the "stuck in traffic" part though. Traffic is bumper to bumper on the Interstates leaving the area. Where do you top off? There aren't gas stations just sitting on the side of the road. Idling is burning gas, so you have no where near the range you mention. Running out of gas is just as much a possibility as running out of battery charge. Might even be more so, since the electric engine isn't burning fuel idling.

Your best bet here is probably to have a hybrid.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    50+ tropical storms or hurricanes resulting in power outages since Tesla started selling EV's in FL (2012). The red state of FL has the second highest amount of EVs in the US (Cali 1st). If it were a problem, we'd know by now. The media would jump at every opportunity to capture a stranded EV, and yet nothing. 60+% growth year over year, Floridians prefer EV's as their evacuation vehicles. Fuel stations began running dry last Friday, power just went out yesterday.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    First they get a storm alert message on the screen 48-72 hours prior to estimated landfall. The alert recommends charging to 100% battery to reduce impact on travel. The superchargers have live statuses that, if needed, ensure you're routed to a powered charger. Natural Disaster Policy gives free supercharging, and over the air updates to maximize battery range. Starlink Satellite service directed towards disaster areas to insure connectivity and comms.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Should this have been in purple? The media is on the same side as those pushing EV's. They're not going to point out any vulnerabilities.
    He’s got a point. There are these systems they’re developing/developed to mitigate range anxiety…under normal circumstances. What we don’t know is how the system will respond when EVs are (say) 50% of the nation’s fleet and cities are evacuating everyone at once.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    He’s got a point. There are these systems they’re developing/developed to mitigate range anxiety…under normal circumstances. What we don’t know is how the system will respond when EVs are (say) 50% of the nation’s fleet and cities are evacuating everyone at once.
    But my point is that they're not going to do anything that highlights the shortcomings of EVs (including lack of infrastructure) now. They'll continue to push the narrative that "everyone needs to go green or we're all gonna die!".

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    First they get a storm alert message on the screen 48-72 hours prior to estimated landfall. The alert recommends charging to 100% battery to reduce impact on travel. The superchargers have live statuses that, if needed, ensure you're routed to a powered charger. Natural Disaster Policy gives free supercharging, and over the air updates to maximize battery range. Starlink Satellite service directed towards disaster areas to insure connectivity and comms.
    If you don't have a receiving Starlink dish, you won't get any service. The satellites are orbiting at 17,000 miles an hour... they aren't directing any satellite to cover the disaster area....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My issue isn't with the electric cars themselves, they are a good fit for some people. Where I draw the line is being forced to buy one by law. I don't believe in climate change because you can't quantify it's two main statements, so I ask why the government would force me to buy an electric car if it's not a good fit for me. Somebody is buying the law, so the answer I see is.....

Always follow the money

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Should this have been in purple? The media is on the same side as those pushing EV's. They're not going to point out any vulnerabilities.
    People take my picture if I’m filling jerry cans at the pump with my Tesla. I’d bet that goes on social media with a notion of me charging my car with a generator. So in gridlock traffic with thousands of vehicles going by, we all know some FUDster/ anti EVer would be overjoyed to capture the moment of a dead battery to post on media with a sense of “owning the libs”. Many conservative republicans also own EVs and we like to share the truth with people so they don’t fall for the FUD and disinformation when they see it.

Top Bottom