• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    It’s physics, the charge level drops the voltage level drops as the voltage level drops the power drops.

From a Bolt forum:
    All EVs lose some power and get somewhat higher 0-60 times at lower states of charge. Bjorn Nyland does a lot of 0-60 testing where he does tests at 90% down to 10%. Some have significantly slower times below 50% while others only slow down a little. I don't think he's ever done that testing suite on a Bolt/Ampera.

I think most of it is just physics (electronics). As Dark-Fx said, it's mostly about voltage sag. The car will always output 400A at full power but at a full charge, 400A * ~400V = 160,000 watts (215 HP). As the voltage sags at lower SOC, you might only have 350V instead of almost 400 and you'll end up with the same current (400A) but times 350V = 140,000 watts (188 HP, a 27 HP drop).

Absolutely it is. I have non-energy saver tires on mine (lot put them on for safety when I bought it), w more grip than the factory tire. Day I brought it home, lot had charged it to 100%. Took the wife and kids out for a rip, absolutely roasted the tires on dry asphalt multiple times. Did some 0-60 and 1/4m logs w torquepro @ 65% charge a while back, not even a chirp from the tires. Also, 0-60 at 65% was 6.85s. I have not tested at 100% though, cuz I've never charged past 88%

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Same with my eGo yard tools.
    When I had to replace my string trimmer a year or so ago, I almost was persuaded to get a battery powered Stihl. Another, former INGOer, highly recommended It. I just couldn’t make the switch with the amount of area I have to trim. If I had to do it over again, I think I’d give it a try.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When I had to replace my string trimmer a year or so ago, I almost was persuaded to get a battery powered Stihl. Another, former INGOer, highly recommended It. I just couldn’t make the switch with the amount of area I have to trim. If I had to do it over again, I think I’d give it a try.

Just plan to invest in extra batteries up front. The other option is one big (godawful expensive) heavy battery.

Lotta info in this other thread. Directions to go, the one I took, the one others took, etc...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It’s physics, the charge level drops the voltage level drops as the voltage level drops the power drops.

From a Bolt forum:

Depending on how he's testing, heat is probably the biggest contributor. Just like running an ICE motor back to back will heat soak the motor and drop times, pulling hard on the battery causes heat and the system is smart enough to reduce the pull to not permanently damage the battery in the same way the ICE pulls timing to prevent damage from knock. The big super performance Teslas have battery cooling to help mitigate that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just plan to invest in extra batteries up front. The other option is one big (godawful expensive) heavy battery.

Lotta info in this other thread. Directions to go, the one I took, the one others took, etc...

Better to invest in other tools that come with batteries. :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener just buys extra batteries and it works out OK. I do the same for the chainsaw and mower as they use the same battery.

While I have no practical use for an electric car, the same tech in garden tools has been useful. As we have gotten older the gardener was less than interested in pulling starter cords so I've been buying her battery tools.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Better to invest in other tools that come with batteries. :):
    This brings up another inconvenience of battery powered stuff. You get locked into a brand because the source of power is proprietary. You use the batteries across all your power tools and the same charger. So now I have EGO yard tools. Dewalt power tools. You buy a gas chainsaw and you're not stuck with Stihl across the board, not that one wouldn't want to be "stuck" with Stihl.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This brings up another inconvenience of battery powered stuff. You get locked into a brand because the source of power is proprietary. You use the batteries across all your power tools and the same charger. So now I have EGO yard tools. Dewalt power tools. You buy a gas chainsaw and you're not stuck with Stihl across the board, not that one wouldn't want to be "stuck" with Stihl.
    If you see it as being stuck. I've been impressed with every eGo tool I have purchased.

I have eGo tools in general, but I bought a Ryobi 40v post hole digger. eGo didn't make one. I'm really impressed with it, but I would not buy their tools in general. I also have some Ryobi power tools, and had one of their chargers and a battery go bad on me. I have since started moving on to Dewalt. Originally that was also because they made something that Ryobi didn't, a 9ga nail gun and a framing nailer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I bought a Stihl battery chain saw, the gardener uses it for heavy trimming. She also likes the mower and it has enough battery to do what she wants like trimming under the grape arbors and bushes.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    i see what jamil is saying.

When you use stuff that uses a AA, AAA, C, D, 123, .. and other types of standard batteries, you can get any brand you want. You don't have to get a panasonic for your panasonic remote control.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    i see what jamil is saying.

When you use stuff that uses a AA, AAA, C, D, 123, .. and other types of standard batteries, you can get any brand you want. You don't have to get a panasonic for your panasonic remote control.

I completely agree. I have a ton of Ryobi One batteries, so when my weedeater died, I bought another one even though I would have bought one from a different manufacturer had I not been "locked in".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Gent in the video references the battery technology that WE DON'T YET HAVE. Around the 5 minute mark, he talks of the just out of waranty $16-20K Tesla battery failure and a Prius battery giving up also.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Alex Jones is a putz and deserves anything bad he gets because of his lies. He only accidentally gets a fact right. This is just an easily verifiable example.

Electric vehicles have their upside and downside. No need to make stuff.

Top Bottom