• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Because if I know a fight is coming, I want my hands folded across my chest.

You don't understand the mechanics of fighting huh? Arms crossed is an effective guard. If someone takes a sucker punch, you won't be able to react from your waist of hips. Crossed arms is a useful tool if you are in a position where you 1) Can't deescalate or 2) cannot back up.

There is also a reason bouncers stand like this, and why there was a little blurb in the video regarding bouncers.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Also, I'm not saying this video isn't a load of BS, but crossed arms is a decent defensive stance. Funker puts out quite a bit of bullshido in these vids, however.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You don't understand the mechanics of fighting huh? Arms crossed is an effective guard. If someone takes a sucker punch, you won't be able to react from your waist of hips. Crossed arms is a useful tool if you are in a position where you 1) Can't deescalate or 2) cannot back up.

There is also a reason bouncers stand like this, and why there was a little blurb in the video regarding bouncers.

Pretty bold statement about someone you don't know. Crossed arms is certainly better than some other options, but I think cedartop DOES understand the mechanics of fighting and understands that he'd be better off in a position that keeps at least one hand closer to his face. The "thinker", for example, or the very commonly used and much more effective "I don't want any trouble" kind of non-threatening, both hands out front posture. As to the technique in the video, try that against several resisting opponents before you bet on it in the street. I have not, but my bet is that it would not work against most resisting opponents.

Cedartop has spent quite a bit of time studying various "fences" or "guards", and I'm quite certain that he understands the strengths and weaknesses of them very well.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Pretty bold statement about someone you don't know. Crossed arms is certainly better than some other options, but I think cedartop DOES understand the mechanics of fighting and understands that he'd be better off in a position that keeps at least one hand closer to his face. The "thinker", for example, or the very commonly used and much more effective "I don't want any trouble" kind of non-threatening, both hands out front posture. As to the technique in the video, try that against several resisting opponents before you bet on it in the street. I have not, but my bet is that it would not work against most resisting opponents.

Cedartop has spent quite a bit of time studying various "fences" or "guards", and I'm quite certain that he understands the strengths and weaknesses of them very well.

I completely understand the various faces of presenting a non-confrontational or feigning compliance in an encounter. This is not that case. The annotation in the video suggests it's for a bouncer. While everyone can make suggestions regarding being in the presence of more than one attacker, in my younger years I was in the very encounter. I was lucky to understand putting my back in the corner narrowed the attack angle, and I was able to react against the primary attacker, causing the secondary attacker to stop. This was in a locker room. That typically alpha male bravado bull****.

I've always been the type to maintain a low profile, but be able to be aggressive if I need to. In this instance, they misinterpreted my lack of the "alpha male" bravado as being weak.

Many people think they know how to fight. Training in this video is static, and doesn't really show what can happen. MMA/BJJ guys have to abide by rules. Martial artists have tapout rules. Until someone has trained in a controlled, no rules environment, you don't understand the fluidity of a fight.

I may no longer be as physically fit as I once was, but I still remember how to fight and what works or doesn't work. Disregarding the intentions of the video based on one principal is justifiable, but statement of satire wasn't founded in the setting in the video. Bouncers stand off with their arms crossed. /endrant

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Also, I'm not saying this video isn't a load of BS, but crossed arms is a decent defensive stance. Funker puts out quite a bit of bullshido in these vids, however.

Crossed arms can be. Let me be clear. I think this is a cool move with sound mechanics, it is however low percentage and highly context driven. I am not going to teach people who haven't mastered the basics, who can't put into place pressure, posture, and position a trick move. I can't use you for an example, because I don't know your size or skill (hmmm,) but I do know ichokepeople so I will use him. I would never try to pull this off against him. Why? He is much bigger, stronger, and skilled. If something goes wrong with my wonder move, he is going to wrap me up and rape me. He has a ton of options at that point and I have very few. A lot of cool moves will work for skilled people, but your average guy or gal looking to defend themselves in the parking lot aren't usually highly skilled and IMHO would be best served learning concepts, not moves, if they don't plan on making martial arts a life long study.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Crossed arms can be. Let me be clear. I think this is a cool move with sound mechanics, it is however low percentage and highly context driven. I am not going to teach people who haven't mastered the basics, who can't put into place pressure, posture, and position a trick move. I can't use you for an example, because I don't know your size or skill (hmmm,) but I do know ichokepeople so I will use him. I would never try to pull this off against him. Why? He is much bigger, stronger, and skilled. If something goes wrong with my wonder move, he is going to wrap me up and rape me. He has a ton of options at that point and I have very few. A lot of cool moves will work for skilled people, but your average guy or gal looking to defend themselves in the parking lot aren't usually highly skilled and IMHO would be best served learning concepts, not moves, if they don't plan on making martial arts a life long study.

Exactly. I don't see this working on a person who is actually trying to attack. Would be more of a pre-emptive attack, which would be fitting for a bouncer/security guard.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

And that would be very, very bad.

Don't ask me how I know.

Re: the video, the opening move is the "brachial stun." Some believe it's a high percentage move, some do not, some are skeptical, some reserve judgement. If it doesn't work to setup this move, it would be tough to finish it on someone is strong or massive enough to resist the attempt at rotating them.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    What is a "controlled, no rules environment"? Isn't a "controlled" environment, by definition, one with rules or pre-agreed-to contact limits?

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The guy in the video falls down just trying to get away from the woman... I agree with Mike, didn't look like the right place for the notorious brachial stun, just a sloppy backhand that happens to hit a guy who was barely on his feet from the start. One thing MMA has done pretty well is show us what really does and doesn't work against a resisting opponent.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    There is so much hype in martial arts. I suppose that is attributable to the psychology imparted to practitioners and the empowering feeling it can give.

The only style I have ever learned is the Army Combatives, which has some merits. But it is also mostly garbage. The idea is based around subduing an opponent so a friend can finish the fight with a gunshot or flex cuffs. It draws mostly on BJJ. It has little application to a civilian fight. I'm comfortable going to ground, but it's slow, and a good way to get kicked in the head or ribs if you're outnumbered.

Stuff like this intrigues me, because if you can't avoid a fight, it's good to be able to win it immediately and get out before his friends show up. Unfortunately, it seems like the various schools are just doing a bad job teaching the latest, flashiest style, getting you in touch with your inner dragon, or showing you how to score points in a ring.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    What is a "controlled, no rules environment"? Isn't a "controlled" environment, by definition, one with rules or pre-agreed-to contact limits?

The only rules we went by were no biting, and nothing to eyes/mucous membranes, and to let go if they tap out. That's about it. There were "rules", but you typically only use the outlawed **** if your life was depending on it.

But I don't want you to take my word for it, nor do I care what you think. Any sort of training other than "buying" a belt is beneficial. You do what you want.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The only rules we went by were no biting, and nothing to eyes/mucous membranes, and to let go if they tap out. That's about it. There were "rules", but you typically only use the outlawed **** if your life was depending on it.

But I don't want you to take my word for it, nor do I care what you think. Any sort of training other than "buying" a belt is beneficial. You do what you want.

Hey, I don't care what I think either (you read that right, referring to myself). I don't have an opinion yet. I'm just asking for clarification. You say there are no rules except for the "rules" and you could break the "rules" (as opposed to the rules) if your life depended on it.

What I'm trying to say is I still don't really know what you're trying to say. I'm interested in improving and finding the best training methods for my limited resources. Since we both agree that my opinion doesn't matter, can you elaborate a bit on your training methods and how you used them to construct a "controlled, no rules environment"? And what kind of techniques worked in that environment? Then maybe we can have a discussion and learn from each other? Pretty please?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom