• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, tracking started January 1, 2022. If the IRS finds out you made taxable income that was not reported, regardless of the payment mechanism, going back as far as the statute of limitations, they can come after you.

Correct. From the first article posted...

...A provision from the 2021 American Rescue Plan, which went into effect on Jan. 1, directs third-party payment processors to report transactions received for goods or services totaling over $600 per year to the IRS.

Prior to this legislation, a third-party payment platform would only report to the tax agency if a user had more than 200 commercial transactions and made more than $20,000 in payments over the course of a year.

This new law won't apply to your 2021 taxes, which you'll file this tax season. But it will apply to the earnings you make throughout 2022, which you'll report when you file in 2023...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Correct. From the first article posted...

...A provision from the 2021 American Rescue Plan, which went into effect on Jan. 1, directs third-party payment processors to report transactions received for goods or services totaling over $600 per year to the IRS.

Prior to this legislation, a third-party payment platform would only report to the tax agency if a user had more than 200 commercial transactions and made more than $20,000 in payments over the course of a year.

This new law won't apply to your 2021 taxes, which you'll file this tax season. But it will apply to the earnings you make throughout 2022, which you'll report when you file in 2023...
    That last sentence- the great legal minds at CNET. Not accurate. That would seem to imply that taxes are only owed on what is reported by the vendor. The change only affects what is reported by the vendor to the gvt., not what you owe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That last sentence- the great legal minds at CNET. Not accurate. That would seem to imply that taxes are only owed on what is reported by the vendor. The change only affects what is reported by the vendor to the gvt., not what you owe.

Yes of course. The same as all of the sales taxes we paid to the state prior to Amazon and eBay being forced to collect them.

I believe that the article referenced that the new law requires that the online payment companies report the figures, as listed. They were not required to report prior. Correct?

It was always the customers responsibility to report to the IRS. The difference is, now it's the online company's obligation to report anything within the narrower specified guidelines. Right?

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I feel the same way about W-2s and 1099s.

BTW- they are not searching "your" papers- they are having the vendors report transactions...not really different from 1099s.
    Yes, an end around the courts should never have allowed. “Your papers” should be secure absent a search warrant no matter who possess them…

armac6

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2021
    Indianapolis
    irsbuckethead.jpeg

iu

iu

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Businesses could keep anon records to avoid having that personal information. They just choose to keep the personal info as a means to make more money.
    How would things like refunds be handled if the transactions with a business were anonymous?

Me: I want to return this purchase I made.
    Them: Sorry, but we have no record of that purchase. We see that "someone" made a purchase, but we have no idea who it was."

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    How would things like refunds be handled if the transactions with a business were anonymous?

Me: I want to return this purchase I made.
    Them: Sorry, but we have no record of that purchase. We see that "someone" made a purchase, but we have no idea who it was."
    The “online” transactions that we are discussing have an order number or a transaction number. That is all you need to request and process a refund.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    They're still going to require a bank account or credit card number to which they refund the purchase price.
    Same as some vpn providers that don’t retain personal information. Make the payment or refund and clear the info out at the end of business. Once a transaction is complete, billing and payment information that contain personal info can be removed

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Same as some vpn providers that don’t retain personal information. Make the payment or refund and clear the info out at the end of business. Once a transaction is complete, billing and payment information that contain personal info can be removed
    Unless you need to return it after it's cleared. For example, I got DoggyMama a pair of jeans for Christmas that were too big. I'm going to need to return them. Payment cleared long ago, but the seller still has my payment info (as they should). If they didn't, how would I be able to be credited for my purchase?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Unless you need to return it after it's cleared. For example, I got DoggyMama a pair of jeans for Christmas that were too big. I'm going to need to return them. Payment cleared long ago, but the seller still has my payment info (as they should). If they didn't, how would I be able to be credited for my purchase?
    Holy cow, you bought your wife pants that were too big and you’re still alive?!

Top Bottom