Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This has come up on some of the online hobby forums. Even if you’re losing money buying/selling/trading in your hobby, you have to prove it to the IRS. So you pay $1,000 for a 1911. You then sell it to me for $750 and let me pay you via PayPal. You have to prove your loss at the end of the year, otherwise you owe tax on that $750 you “made.”

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have been predicting for years that eventually even your garage sale, uh, stuff, will be taxed.
    How long has it been now since out-of-state sales companies such as eBay have been charging your local state tax? Not to hijack the thread, it just doesn't surprise me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Creeping ever closer to total government control of monetary transactions, even as they try to make it harder to pay cash. Banks are now reporting cash deposits of $600 or more so I read. So even if you do a cash transaction, unless you spend it as cash it will be reported.

We should have the 700 month protest, where for a month everyone withdraws $700 and deposits it several times a day. It would break the system…

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's all a out controlling wealth that the common man uses. The elites don't garner the meager sums we make but suggest to .gov to track it as a means to pay any BBB bullsnot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This thread could have sunk into the morass of the political forum.

I thought the average INGOer, that might avoid that forum, needed to see this. It does effect some of us that use those online payment systems for trading payment. :soapbox:

This is a Biden administration directive to "their" IRS. Taxes are pretty important to the way they "govern." They want every dime of "their money."

Three more years... :xmad:

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This post could have sunk into the morass of the political forum.
    I thought the average INGOer, that might avoid that forum, needed to see this. It does effect some of us that use those online payment systems for trading payment. :soapbox:

This is a Biden administration directive to "their" IRS. Taxes are pretty important to the way they "govern." They want every dime of "their money."

Three more years... :xmad:
    Can't be true. The Bidiot said your taxes won't go up if you make less that $400k :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Creeping ever closer to total government control of monetary transactions, even as they try to make it harder to pay cash. Banks are now reporting cash deposits of $600 or more so I read. So even if you do a cash transaction, unless you spend it as cash it will be reported.

We should have the 700 month protest, where for a month everyone withdraws $700 and deposits it several times a day. It would break the system…
    Biden/knee pads combo puts us 1 step closer to this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not that I'm a fan of any government expansion, but this is simply an enforcement mechanism for taxes that were previously owed. People are supposed to report their income and pay taxes on it. This is just a way to track actual income.

[ETA] Sorta related, imagine my shock and surprise when, while studying for the bar exam (24 years ago) learned of something called the "use tax". Y'all know that you're supposed to by 7% "use tax" on any personal property you buy where at least 7% was not collected, right? Remember all that stuff bought online or (back in the day) from catalogs where the vendor did not collect sales tax? Yep.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not that I'm a fan of any government expansion, but this is simply an enforcement mechanism for taxes that were previously owed. People are supposed to report their income and pay taxes on it. This is just a way to track actual income.

[ETA] Sorta related, imagine my shock and surprise when, while studying for the bar exam (24 years ago) learned of something called the "use tax". Y'all know that you're supposed to by 7% "use tax" on any personal property you buy where at least 7% was not collected, right?

Yes, enforcement starting Jan 1, 2022.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes, enforcement starting Jan 1, 2022.
    Well, tracking started January 1, 2022. If the IRS finds out you made taxable income that was not reported, regardless of the payment mechanism, going back as far as the statute of limitations, they can come after you.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not that I'm a fan of any government expansion, but this is simply an enforcement mechanism for taxes that were previously owed. [an egregious infringement upon 4th amendment rights as well as a fishing expedition] People are supposed to report their income and pay taxes on it. This is just a way to track actual income.
    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated."

Kinda thought we had moved away from 'guilty until you prove yourself innocent' with the same revolt

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated."

Kinda thought we had moved away from 'guilty until you prove yourself innocent' with the same revolt
    I feel the same way about W-2s and 1099s.

BTW- they are not searching "your" papers- they are having the vendors report transactions...not really different from 1099s.

Top Bottom