• melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So I'm gaining weight.

Back up to 180# for the past 10 days.

Lots of bad eating. I've been remodeling my daughter's new condo, which she must move into this coming Friday. We will be lucky to have the floor finished. What doesn't help is that the floor was delivered last week, but the drive dumped the pallet OFF THE BACK OF THE FRIGGIN TRUCK damaging it so it had to be re-shipped from Georgia, and we are hoping it will arrive on Monday. There will be no kitchen appliances or even kitchen cabinets in place when she moves in (she will survive with a coffee maker, mini-fridge & a microwave for a couple weeks). I've torn a muscle in my right bicep so its been hard to do much of the carpentry, but that is almost done.

Food over the past 10 days has been drive thru window food, food that was brought in by uber-eats, and polish sausage served at Home Depot. So bad choices.

And carpentry is not a substitute for actual exercise. I'm not meeting my movement goals most days.

So basically I'm worn out from long days, stressed out from the time table of the project, and the poor diet is not helping anything.

Worst part is that I know, as I am pounding down food, that I am screwing up.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Next Friday I should know where I am weight wise. Exercise wise, I didn’t meet my goal of a mile of exercise walking daily. Missed it by about six miles.

So far this month I’m about five miles away from where I should be walking wise for a mile a day. I’m at just a little over 14 miles. That said, I don’t walk everyday and one day last week and a day this week, my wife and I went for bike rides. We rode 14 miles in those two days.

Weight wise, I’m probably holding steady, which is good because I try to eat better but sometimes I don’t have time to cook.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Just came off my third three day fast. It's not the most fun thing in the world a person could do, but it's working for me. I'm weighing what I did in high school, and I never thought that would be possible. The only difference is the package was a lot nicer back then. I'm going to stick with this fasting thing for a while to see if I can't improve that too. I'm still a little flabby from the weight loss and being old (skin not as elastic as it once was). Fasting is said to help with loose skin, so we'll see how true that is. It took 12+ months to get the weight off, so I'll have to be patient to see if I can tighten up the flab. I'm also taking a collagen supplement to see if that helps. I've read that after three months, the collagen supplement can help with skin tightening. If it doesn't, I'm out $75. No big loss. I've wasted more.

I edited this to talk about an experience I had with the fasting. Be careful how you treat your body when breaking a fast. I did a cup of bone broth like normal to break the three day fast, but I was craving some buffalo boneless wings, so I chowed down on those. BIG MISTAKE!

gsCnu3C.gif

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    After spending a couple weeks in pain, largely due to busting my butt to remodel my older daughter's new condominium and tearing a bicep muscle in the process, I took a day off yesterday. My body needed that!

1500sq ft of carpets torn out, 1500sq ft of wood laminate installed, new baseboards 90% installed, 2 new doors hung, new hallway built, 2 new walls built, kitchen demolished and 1/2 way rebuilt. Only the bathrooms were left alone.

Lots of fast food eaten, and while some of the work is hard, it is not exercise or overly active.

Picked my other daughter up from Notre Dame, took her to lunch at DUCK DUCK GOAT in Chicago, walked a couple miles along the Chicago lakeshore after lunch and then to O'Hare airport to put her on a flight to San Francisco so she can start an internship at Apple Computer.

Food was excellent but I ate sensibly, left the restaurant full, but not stuffed, it was a healthy way to eat a meal. Carried home a lot of left overs.

178# on the scale, but feeling good.

Body rest days today, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Back to remodeling on Thursday.

tempImageq6ytBX.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    1500sq ft of carpets torn out, 1500sq ft of wood laminate installed, new baseboards 90% installed, 2 new doors hung, new hallway built, 2 new walls built, kitchen demolished and 1/2 way rebuilt. Only the bathrooms were left alone.
    Stop! Please! You’re making my knees hurt! :):

I just started trying to severely limit my carbs, at least processed carbs. I’m still allowing fruits, basic natural food, no breads, pastas, stuff like that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Trail Run.jpg

Training for my night trail run in July. Got the distance down, just need to pick up the speed. I did it in under 11/mile last time I did it. The bottoms of my feet are a little sore, but otherwise I feel pretty good. Nose breathing for the first 2 miles, in the nose out the mouth for the next 2, then transitioned to slack jawed mouth breather for the rest. It hurts my time, obviously, but supposedly it builds VO2 max quicker. No idea if that's true or not, but worth a go.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County

No way would I want to fast four or five days. I've done several three day fasts, which have worked well for me, but my body has been pushed enough after 72 hours and I'm done. Plus, 72 hours is kind of the sweet spot from what I've read previously. After that, your body will start consuming muscle and autophogy starts to diminish.

If you watch youtube videos and read articles online, the data seems to vary slightly. The one thing that's hard to find is someone saying something negative about fasting. It works. I'm a believer.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Down 20-lbs.
    Roughly 60~70 to go, it’s been so long that I wasn’t way overweight, not sure.
    Mostly eating healthier and less.
    Added a bit of walking/walk-jog a couple times a week & sled work / tire carry on Saturdays. Have done weight workouts 3x / week for a long time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No way would I want to fast four or five days. I've done several three day fasts, which have worked well for me, but my body has been pushed enough after 72 hours and I'm done. Plus, 72 hours is kind of the sweet spot from what I've read previously. After that, your body will start consuming muscle and autophogy starts to diminish.

If you watch youtube videos and read articles online, the data seems to vary slightly. The one thing that's hard to find is someone saying something negative about fasting. It works. I'm a believer.

I fast everyday. Not a strict time limit, but try to do at least 16 hours. Depending on how busy I can keep, my best results come from stretching the 16 into 24 and do OMAD.

72 hours is way different from my daily fast. I don't rule it out, but always think I just need to move more physical activity (5 mile step count,) in. Works dual duty for move it or lose it in my sixties.

I just watched this Dr Boz video. I might give it a try. Not really a fast, but it's 72 hours. And I have cases of sardines around as prep. :tinfoil:

1686104916533.png

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    FWIW, I love sardines with sweet pickles . . . not quite carb free because of the pickles. But sardines are surprisingly healthy.

I got down to 173-175 and was hovering in that range. Now in the 180-183 range. So I've gained back a bit. But I've also been in a lot of pain and my activity levels are greatly diminished because of a combination of an injury and failed rheumatoid arthritis meds.

Good news is the new meds, after several months of injections, now seem to be working reasonably well. The lingering injury from a muscle tear is still bothering me but at least now I can lift my arm. Can't swing a hammer or give a fencing lesson yet, but its showing some improvement.

I'm hoping to get back down into the low/mid-170's again now that my activity level is a little bit higher. I've also been watching my diet again. Slacked off while I was at peak pain.

My goal has always been to do something SUSTAINABLE but didn't really count on the failure of my meds, the fact that my meds literally failed me for 6 months, and then when the news meds finally started to become effective I injured myself. Hard to sustain even modest exercise when you have a hard time getting around, thankfully I'm getting back to a manageable level of pain 7 days out of 10 and the bad days are more related to the muscle tear than the arthritis.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know, I know. Those of us good followers of the keto cult are supposed to trend away from sweets. Regardless of sugar free/low carb, the idea is to get away from the regular desire (addiction?) for sweets overall.

That said, if you choose to allow yourself an occasional treat, this might be a solution. Icing on the cake, (funny huh?:lmfao: ) is that on top of being very low carb, this desert is quite cheap, compared to sugar free or sugar layden ice cream...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Still injured. And lately I've been eating crap food. I try to watch it, but I give in. Pushing a bit harder on controlling the food. Quality and quantity. On the scale at 179# this morning. Looking to get back down the lower/mid 170's.

Body is/looks flabby. From a torn bicep that is finally healing to a torn rotator cuff that is starting to heal, I'm just in enough pain that I don't even want to ride a bike or get on the treadmill.

I've started back with giving beginner fencing lessons. That gives me a little bit of activity, but last night I was using the arm, that is actually in a shoulder brace. Maybe not a wise idea. Maybe a really dumb idea. Prescription pain killers with an Advil chaser first thing this morning.

Before my medication failure for my arthritis, which was then followed up by an injury, I was actually getting toned. Now I just look flabby again, even if I'm still at a reasonable weight.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I signed up for another quarter marathon trail run this summer. I have been working a lot and my exercise regime has slipped. I'm not lifting nearly as often as I want to, but am keeping up with cardio pretty well.

Well, didn't do as well as last time but I ran the whole thing and didn't embarrass myself. Dead center for my age group and just outside the overall top 1/3 this time at a 12 minute mile. Honestly, I didn't push myself as hard because I didn't train like I wanted and wasn't sure what my pacing should be so I erred on finishing without walking vs level best time. I could have *probably* done about 3 minutes faster with smarter pacing, as I accelerated the last mile and still wasn't gassed at the line. But, I knew I wasn't going to be competitive this time and I finished and had fun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Trying to build endurance and boost VO2 max with longer runs nose breathing entirely. I did a trail run at Eagle Creek today, trying to keep my heart rate at 150-160 and nose breathing the entire time. I made it to 6.3 miles before fatigue and a big hill combined to spike me into the upper 170s. I did some walk up/slow jog down intervals and drank my tiny water bottles until my HR got back down into the 150s, taking about 1/3 of a mile. Then I ran a bit harder to finish out 7.3 miles to make up the time a bit, but went to mouth breathing for that. Overall average HR of 159, so in the upper range of what I was shooting for.

7.35 mi
    Distance
    1:41:49
    Time
    13:51 /mi
    Avg Pace
    318 ft
    Total Ascent
    1,551 cal
    Calories

Once HR bounced back to 178 I called it and walked the last 1.2 miles out.

Need to drop tonnage again, it's been fun not losing weight but I really want to increase my distances to 1/2 marathon trail events and fat-assery isn't going to help that goal become reality.

Top Bottom