• melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    174.0# on the scale this morning.
    117/80 blood pressure.

Sore as hell today because of a bad night's sleep. Big storm rolled through NW Indiana last night, scared the hell out of our Australian Shepard who decided to get into our bed and shake like crazy. No exercise this morning, which probably doesn't help much with the pain because even just walking on the treadmill tends to loosen up my joints. then spent the morning sitting in the car running errands . . . which included stopping for a Bavarian Creme donut. Definitely not part of my healthy eating plan.

I'll be spending 5 hours in the car tomorrow (2.5 hours each direction) and pretty much just standing still most of the day. Coaching the Purdue fencing club at the Collegiate Fencing Club championships tomorrow. The only real food available at those events is fast food. Pretty much figure that this weekend is going to be a "lost weekend" as far as living a healthy life.

Best I can hope for is not screwing up too badly by over-eating.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It's been a while since I checked in. I ended up accepting a job with a new company that is owned by a couple of Italian brothers. I really haven't spent much time around Italian folks, but I learned real quick damn near everything revolves around a meal or food. I've kept up with my exercise program, but the diet has obviously gone to hell. I haven't gained any weight lately, but I haven't lost any either. Once I can get away from people training me and looking over my shoulder I can get back to healthier eating.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I’d like to thank the local Stop and Rob for their sky-high pricing, which saved my diet.

My day has been absolute crap, and I’m a stress eater. I had every intention of soothing myself with a greasy ass burger and bag of chips, but when I saw their sawdust patties were priced at five bucks, I turned around and got back on the road. I’ll have some delightful grilled chicken later tonight.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I’d like to thank the local Stop and Rob for their sky-high pricing, which saved my diet.

My day has been absolute crap, and I’m a stress eater. I had every intention of soothing myself with a greasy ass burger and bag of chips, but when I saw their sawdust patties were priced at five bucks, I turned around and got back on the road. I’ll have some delightful grilled chicken later tonight.
    I just made some bad choices today.

Got a 12 piece Popeye's family meal. (My wife is out of town for a couple days, foster son is at grandmas so I am alone). I ate 2 pieces and most of a large side of Red Beans & Rice.

Felt guilty the whole time. And also my stomach started hurting from eating too fast.

Realized I made some ill thought decisions.

Got home after running a couple errands.

Pulled out the chicken and saved that in a freezer bag. It is high calorie but the skin can be pulled off and it is actually ok by healthy eating standards.

Tossed the entire family size box cajun fries, all 6 biscuits and remainder of the red beans into the trash can in the garage.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Been trying to get back into my exercise routine, I’m definitely doing better, considering I wasn’t really doing anything… I still haven’t been hiking since the end of February, been working an awful lot of Saturday’s and I don’t have enough time to get the things done I need to so I’ve been neglecting my hikes. I need to get back to it, not looking forward to that first one :faint:

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    I’m not a big person and don’t really need to “lose weight” but that doesn’t mean that I’m the healthiest. I definitely need to drink more water and be more active. That’s why I’m chiming in, I hope to get some encouragement reading these post.

Hopefully so words of encouragement…

Just because you have big goals, doesn’t mean you have to completely change your life (Unless that’s what works for you). The biggest issue that I see with ppl’s eating habits is portion size. And I’m not saying measure your food. Use smaller dinnerware and don’t fill it completely. Try to eat slower and don’t do seconds, give your stomach time to catch up. Also, just because you want to eat healthier doesn’t mean the food doesn’t have to taste good. Start with baby steps…maybe use the air fryer instead of deep frying. I love salad! Eat salad or a vegetable instead of Mac and cheese or fries. Indulge with what you love to eat sometimes but in moderation, not everyday.

And start small with movements. Instead of asking someone else get it for you, get up and do it yourself. Park farther away from the door so you can get more steps in. If it’s not too many flights, take the stairs instead of the elevator. I’m going to try to do this also.

We don’t have to start with drastic changes. (Again , unless that’s what works for you). Every little decision we make to do what’s healthier for us will all add up in the end. And will probably change our habits.

No matter what our bodies look like we should feel comfortable with it.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Woo! First hike in Just over a month. Feeling pretty good, from the waist up at least :): About a quarter mile in I was cussing myself for not being more dedicated! About half mile in I was cussing myself for hiking… but seriously, it was nice to get out and get the heart pumping again. Got in one mile in 14:30, had one mile in the low 16’s after stopping to water the daisies and look for smallmouth in the creek.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Been a while since I logged in, had my latest kidney doctor appointment. From 12/31 to 3/31 I was down six pounds. I was only ten pounds away from my goal weight for this summer. I say was because this last week was crazy and I didn't walk near as much as I wanted to and definitely ate more crap then I wanted to. Last month I almost made my revised goal of walking at least a mile a day, was only six miles short. Now that is purpose exercise walking, not just walking which I'm sure I doubled my total walking. So far this month I'm only 1/2 mile off that goal of a mile a day. Walked 5.5 miles this weekend. My lab work is staying stead regarding kidney function also. That is my ultimate goal, I hope I can starve off a need for a transplant or dialysis for the rest of my life but short term goal is next nine months. Next January my family travels to southern florida for my wife's brothers wedding. I don't want to miss my kids experiencing the ocean and a real beach for the first time in their life. Blood pressure has been good also. Good enough that the beta blocker I'm on has been cut in half dosage wise since 12/31.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Been a while since I logged in, had my latest kidney doctor appointment. From 12/31 to 3/31 I was down six pounds. I was only ten pounds away from my goal weight for this summer. I say was because this last week was crazy and I didn't walk near as much as I wanted to and definitely ate more crap then I wanted to. Last month I almost made my revised goal of walking at least a mile a day, was only six miles short. Now that is purpose exercise walking, not just walking which I'm sure I doubled my total walking. So far this month I'm only 1/2 mile off that goal of a mile a day. Walked 5.5 miles this weekend. My lab work is staying stead regarding kidney function also. That is my ultimate goal, I hope I can starve off a need for a transplant or dialysis for the rest of my life but short term goal is next nine months. Next January my family travels to southern florida for my wife's brothers wedding. I don't want to miss my kids experiencing the ocean and a real beach for the first time in their life. Blood pressure has been good also. Good enough that the beta blocker I'm on has been cut in half dosage wise since 12/31.
    And oddly enough, my right knee started to ache the night after posting this, but Monday I could barely put any pressure on it. The pelletor tendon had tendonitis and it sucks. I can barely walk 1/16 a mile and by evening my knee is extremely painful. I can't take any nsaids, so I'm stuck with topical nsaids and tylenol. Could take six weeks to fully heal. I don't plan on doing squat these next two days I'm off to give my knee a rest.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    In California for a week with our 3 year old foster son visiting our 21 year old foster daughter who is a junior at Notre Dame but studying a tech semester at Stanford. No workouts but lots of walking around. And eating a lot too. My goal is to come back home the middle of next week and be below 180#. If I can stay below 180 after spending a week eating in restaurants then I will be reasonably happy.

My arthritis is still hurting, and that had been hampering workouts prior to coming out to California. My weight had climbed up a bit, hovering in the upper 170's. So if I stay below 180 then I can work on dropping weight back down below 175#.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    For several weeks, I did intermittent fasting. Each week I tried to shrink my eating window down with the ultimate goal of getting to one meal per day. This past week was where I took the plunge and tried the OMAD program, and the weight melted off. I don't know whether it was the actual eating schedule or just the sudden change that shocked my body, but whatever happened, it worked.

I'm going to stick with this for a while, and I may even try to do a prolonged fast of 48 or 72 hours once or twice per month. It's not as bad as I thought either. I do get pretty hungry, but when I get to 2:30-3:00 in the afternoon, my hunger starts to go away.

The one thing I want to keep an eye on are my muscles. I'll sacrifice some muscle to improve my overall appearance, but I don't want to lose a ton. This morning had me scratching my head. I went to the gym and I seemed to be slightly weaker than normal, but I've also been a little sick, so I don't know if the lack of food has hurt me or if being sick made me puny. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

I also took another trash bag full of "fat" clothes to Goodwill yesterday. I don't even want to know how many hundreds of dollars worth of clothes I've given away over the past 12 months. I guess I haven't worn jeans in a while either. I tried looking for a decent pair this morning and every pair I own looks like clown pants now. Some chunky dude in Bedford is going to get some nice jeans from Goodwill in the near future.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . I'm going to stick with this for a while, and I may even try to do a prolonged fast of 48 or 72 hours once or twice per month. It's not as bad as I thought either.. .
    Find what works for you. To me that is the most important thing, if it is working and you are moving toward your goal, then it is what you need to do

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    New thread contributor. I'm working toward a goal weight of 235#, from 318#. 311.4 this morning. 6'3", very large frame.

I have done keto, carnivore, OMAD, IF, snake diet, low-fat, low-carb, calorie ceilings, cardio-centric training, weight-centric training, and more. They all work, and I've lost at least 50# on each method. I have an abnormal emotional attachment to food and I eventually crack every time. Then the cycle of "I will start back up next week" begins and a year later I'm back at 315 or so, where I typically hold until I start something else.

I want to be able to hold 235-245 like I can hold 315, but I have to get there first. I have done some counseling regarding emotions and diet, not sure if it helped or not. Current regimen is balanced macros with a serious calorie restriction. I eat tiny meals 6-7 times a day, which is very different than my last effort, where I went as long as I could between meals, sometimes over 100 hours. There is some mental comfort in knowing that I am never more than 3 hours away from a meal, but I am almost as hungry as I was on LTF. We will see if it makes a difference.

GW: 235.0
    SW: 318.8
    CW: 311.4

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    For several weeks, I did intermittent fasting. Each week I tried to shrink my eating window down with the ultimate goal of getting to one meal per day. This past week was where I took the plunge and tried the OMAD program, and the weight melted off. I don't know whether it was the actual eating schedule or just the sudden change that shocked my body, but whatever happened, it worked.

I'm going to stick with this for a while, and I may even try to do a prolonged fast of 48 or 72 hours once or twice per month. It's not as bad as I thought either. I do get pretty hungry, but when I get to 2:30-3:00 in the afternoon, my hunger starts to go away.

The one thing I want to keep an eye on are my muscles. I'll sacrifice some muscle to improve my overall appearance, but I don't want to lose a ton. This morning had me scratching my head. I went to the gym and I seemed to be slightly weaker than normal, but I've also been a little sick, so I don't know if the lack of food has hurt me or if being sick made me puny. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

I also took another trash bag full of "fat" clothes to Goodwill yesterday. I don't even want to know how many hundreds of dollars worth of clothes I've given away over the past 12 months. I guess I haven't worn jeans in a while either. I tried looking for a decent pair this morning and every pair I own looks like clown pants now. Some chunky dude in Bedford is going to get some nice jeans from Goodwill in the near future.
    I noticed I was a little weaker when I was being more strict with my diet than when I wasn’t, maybe it’s just your body not having the excess carbs like it’s used to or just something mental but I have experienced the same thing.

What is the OMAD diet?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I noticed I was a little weaker when I was being more strict with my diet than when I wasn’t, maybe it’s just your body not having the excess carbs like it’s used to or just something mental but I have experienced the same thing.

What is the OMAD diet?

One meal a day.

Oopsie. I replied before I finished the thread.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    New thread contributor. I'm working toward a goal weight of 235#, from 318#. 311.4 this morning. 6'3", very large frame.

I have done keto, carnivore, OMAD, IF, snake diet, low-fat, low-carb, calorie ceilings, cardio-centric training, weight-centric training, and more. They all work, and I've lost at least 50# on each method. I have an abnormal emotional attachment to food and I eventually crack every time. Then the cycle of "I will start back up next week" begins and a year later I'm back at 315 or so, where I typically hold until I start something else.

I want to be able to hold 235-245 like I can hold 315, but I have to get there first. I have done some counseling regarding emotions and diet, not sure if it helped or not. Current regimen is balanced macros with a serious calorie restriction. I eat tiny meals 6-7 times a day, which is very different than my last effort, where I went as long as I could between meals, sometimes over 100 hours. There is some mental comfort in knowing that I am never more than 3 hours away from a meal, but I am almost as hungry as I was on LTF. We will see if it makes a difference.

GW: 235.0
    SW: 318.8
    CW: 311.4

I truly empathize with you, sir. I tried dozens of times to shed the pounds, and failed every time. This time around I had motivation. I became involved with a lady last year, and I didn't want her to be seen hanging out with the slob I had become, so I was determined to do something about it. Now that I'm pretty much at my goal weight, I'll be damned if I let it creep back on.

Good luck on your road to better health, my friend.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Out in California and not doing too badly. Lots of walking. We are eating some big meals. But this is vacation. Last night I had a cucumber and tomato salad with a light dressing, it was all I needed after feasting on a lunch of Dungeness Crab bathed in garlic butter. As stated, my goal is not to gain much while I am out here.

@Tryin' nice to have you join us.

We each have a struggle, often for very different reasons. My goal was to lose weight and then maintain a healthy diet/activity lifestyle. I'm sort of there. But my exercise has been derailed since November by some issues with Rheumatoid Arthritis that is preventing any serious form of activity more than fast walking.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm currently in a 24 hour fasted state, with a goal of going another 24 hours. I've done 24 hour fasts before, and in reality, I probably don't feel any different than previous fasts. However, I could whip a bear with a switch right now. Probably the thought of going another day with no food is making me cranky.

I got tired of drinking plain water, so I grabbed some Vitamin Water Zero at Walmart today. It's got zero calories so it shouldn't break my fast. Gonna sip on that for a while to see if it soothes my nerves any.

Top Bottom