• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I weighed in Tuesday morning at 222.1 lbs before we headed on vacation. Got home last night, and this morning I weighed in at 221.1 lb. So I still lost 1 lb while being on the road and eating out every day. Thats a huge win in my book.
    HUGE!

Pain meds finally seem to be helping me. Flare ups with RA suck. Fortunately I don't get them too often.

I have a 2 year old sleeping on me right now but when his nap is over I believe I should be able to do some exercising and reach my daily goals.

grayishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2022
    Too close to Gary
    I started doing the workout routine from the book "convict conditioning" (I'm not a felon! I was just looking for a good routine I could do with minimal equipment!) and in the span of a month and a half I've lost 60 lbs and the new muscle strength I'm getting has me feeling half my age. None of my clothes fit anymore. I'm going to have to get an IWB holster just so my pants stop falling down.

Weighing in at 243 lbs right now slimmest I've been in well over a decade. I'd highly recommend the workout routine in that book to anyone. "Convict Conditioning" by Paul Wade. Stupid ass title. Good information.

All of that weight loss isn't just from my workouts. I've watched my diet a lot, too. No cardio though. Not until I'm slim enough I don't feel I'll damage my joints.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I really need to re-think "rest days" because my muscles are sore every day. Shoulders and thighs. I have closed my AppleWatch "rings" every day for 64 days in a row. Sometimes just barely. Sometimes I crush them.

Started with the default settings. Been slowly bumping them up. For a nearly 62 year old with Rheumatoid Arthritis and an arterial blockage I think the settings are pretty good. 700 "move" calories, 60 "exercise" minutes and 14 "stand" hours are the current settings.
    I occasionally do some limited standing Cardio exercises.

90% of my time is split pretty equally between:
    • exercise bike
    • treadmill
    • rowing machine
    Toss in some outdoor 'hikes/walks' around the property & down the road (rural, hilly). So all 3 equipment workouts, plus the walks, work my legs. Rowing machine adds core and arms. I keep barbells with the bike so I often ride while pumping iron, to work arms & legs.

Should I stop "closing my rings" and add a rest day 1 day a week?

Should I skip the machines 1 or 2 days a week and toss in a day of "cardio" or "circuit" exercises?

I'm happy with my results, 184# on the scale today. So not complaining about weight. Waist is much smaller. Clothes are now very loose, instead of being uncomfortably tight.

BUT MY ARMS AND LEGS ARE SORE every morning when I rise.

ADVICE from anyone? Am I just overdoing arms/legs and need to add something to the rotation?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You need to rest. If you're continuing to work muscles that are sore from the previous workout then you aren't doing them much good. They need to recover. Without having gear on board I'd imagine at 62 your muscles would have a difficult time recovering in just 24hrs or less no matter how great your sleep is. Give your arms and legs 48hrs of rest. On rest days do light cardio and do crunches, flutter kicks, etc to work your core

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Also not sure if you're taking any supplements. I take ZMA, L-cetrulline and L-arginine. The ZMA also helps in better deeper sleep. The other 2 are key amino acids that aid in the building blocks for proteins that your muscles need.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Also not sure if you're taking any supplements. I take ZMA, L-cetrulline and L-arginine. The ZMA also helps in better deeper sleep. The other 2 are key amino acids that aid in the building blocks for proteins that your muscles need.

What about bone broth as a supplement? Doesn't it claim to do similar things?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Been calorie counting about a month. Sticking to 2,000 officially. Even fudging numbers on my home cooking and cheating with frozen grapes I think I'm consistently under 2,300 at most. Noticably took in my belt at least an inch already.

Keeping up with the daily running or biking. Unfortunately due to loss of daylight I'm not keeping up with upper body training at all. There just isn't time after work to do it and still get out for the run before dark, and I sure as hell can't do it after five miles of running.

Oh well. Worry about it later I guess.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    You need to rest. If you're continuing to work muscles that are sore from the previous workout then you aren't doing them much good. They need to recover. Without having gear on board I'd imagine at 62 your muscles would have a difficult time recovering in just 24hrs or less no matter how great your sleep is. Give your arms and legs 48hrs of rest. On rest days do light cardio and do crunches, flutter kicks, etc to work your core
    This. At 64 I try to do cardio every day. Every other day is weights. My tendons and muscles don't recover like they use to. On my weights day, I tend to only do 30 mins of medium intensity cardio for warm up so I get more benefits out of the session. :twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    No machines for me today.

Cardio only.

Curious to see how my muscles feel in the morning after a day when I closed my rings but didn't do, what I consider to be, a proper workout. This is the closest to a 'rest day' that I've taken in 65 days.

Treadmill stress test tomorrow morning at the hospital followed by an ECG.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Still sitting at 185#

Hospital this morning for tests and imaging. I think I surprised the doctor on the treadmill stress test. He said my target heart rate was 136. It was not until he got me fast walking at 4.1 miles per hour at a 14% incline before my rate (barely) reached 136 and held stable there. He told the nurse he figured I would hit it at barely over 3mph and 10% incline.

I got no results today. Should hear something by the end of the week. Obviously I still have the blockage in my artery. Exercise doesn't make those go away.

Came home and finished my workout time by doing another session of "My First 5K" running/walking plus I followed that up with a Cardio workout on a DVD.

Not pushing myself farther than meeting my rings today. No dumbbells. My arms do feel somewhat better today, but still mildly sore. Thighs got a workout, I feel those.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I woke up even earlier than usual this morning. That happens when I have a busy day ahead and a lot of things on my mind. Anyway, I got a workout in already. You know how you have some workouts that are just better than others? Today was one of those days. I killed it this moring and feel exceptionally good as a result.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but the mirrors in my gym make me look worse than any mirror I've ever seen. I secretly think gyms do this on purpose. This morning was different though. It may have been the clothes I was wearing, but I thought I looked much improved versus last week. It may just be in my head, but it is good motivation, and that may be why I have such a good workout.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    OxsfHBn.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I woke up even earlier than usual this morning. That happens when I have a busy day ahead and a lot of things on my mind. Anyway, I got a workout in already. You know how you have some workouts that are just better than others? Today was one of those days. I killed it this moring and feel exceptionally good as a result.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but the mirrors in my gym make me look worse than any mirror I've ever seen. I secretly think gyms do this on purpose. This morning was different though. It may have been the clothes I was wearing, but I thought I looked much improved versus last week. It may just be in my head, but it is good motivation, and that may be why I have such a good workout.
    My workouts have been crap to be honest, I’m not sure why, I feel like I’m pushing harder to do the same reps as a month ago, couple that with a lack of motivation and it just hasn’t been coming together for me. I’ve got a couple days off, I’m going to stick to hiking and cardio and avoid the weights for a couple days.

grayishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2022
    Too close to Gary
    My workouts have been crap to be honest, I’m not sure why, I feel like I’m pushing harder to do the same reps as a month ago, couple that with a lack of motivation and it just hasn’t been coming together for me. I’ve got a couple days off, I’m going to stick to hiking and cardio and avoid the weights for a couple days.
    Sounds to me like you hit a plateau and your body would benefit from some different exercises. I've spent some time in fitness communities lately and that seems to be a common problem. Maybe skip the weights and do body weight for a while?

I weighed in at 236 today and bought three new (used) pairs of pants. Two pairs of slacks in a 38 waist (I didn't wear a 38 waist in high school) and a pair of jeans with a 40-inch waist for when I get that IWB holster I've got my eye on. It's nice to see the results but it's even nicer to feel them -- I carried a kennel stuffed with dog food and other sundries a good 200 feet to my front door and I wasn't winded or even sore.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Sounds to me like you hit a plateau and your body would benefit from some different exercises. I've spent some time in fitness communities lately and that seems to be a common problem. Maybe skip the weights and do body weight for a while?
    Yeah, I might give that a try, got some good cardio in while hiking, took my son, he surprised me, normally he’s whining after about a mile, today he’s running up stairs, climbing around all over everything! I knew there was a boy stuck in there just dying to get out!

grayishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2022
    Too close to Gary
    Yeah, I might give that a try, got some good cardio in while hiking, took my son, he surprised me, normally he’s whining after about a mile, today he’s running up stairs, climbing around all over everything! I knew there was a boy stuck in there just dying to get out!
    My boys have been following along with me as well. It's nice to feel like a role model, lol.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Back below 185 again. This morning was 183.4#. I've been hovering around 185 for the past week. Very mild workout day today, technically met my goals, but barely. Yesterday was much more intense. Trying to rotate more different styles of workouts into the routing. Rotating between the machines and some cardio and core exercises. lo

Heart stress test yesterday and the doc's office calle me today. Keep doing what I'm doing. It is working. No need for an emergency/urgent follow up. So I'll see him in December.

Also, Purdue University sent me a coaching contract. It is official. I'm now a coach at Purdue for their fencing team. 2 specific conditions that stuck out in the contract that made me chuckle. 1- I'm not allowed to ask for GAS money. 2- I'm not allowed to have sex wtih the students.

Which brings to mind this classic bumper sticker:

29-2CM-16-2CM-Gas-Grass-Or-Ass-Nobody-Rides-For-Free-Funny-Vinyl-Reflective-Car.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom