• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've owned and shot a lot of 9mm pistols over the years and at this point in time, based solely on my own experience, I'd say the CZ P10C is the best carry pistol I've experienced. For the joy of shooting though, it's hard to beat one of the full size CZ 75 based pistols, such as the SP01 or even a nicely tuned 75B. I have a Colt 9mm 1911 that's not the most accurate gun out there, but it is a nice shooter. I never thought I'd like a 9mm 1911, but turns out that I do.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you want the very best 9mm for carry you get a CZ 75 compact with an alloy frame. These are Israeli surplus guns and are often in less than pristine condition. But, you said you want the best gun not the prettiest. Send to gun down to Cajun Gun Works and have them install the Pro Package with the 85 trigger and 11.5# mainspring. Also have them install a 10x accurized bushing. Acquire some Truglo TFX Pro sights and install them or have them installed. Go to Greg Cote and buy some 16 round magazines with the buffer for use with a compact. Put 500 rounds through the gun to acquaint yourself with it. You will require ammunition, targets and copious amounts of wet wipes from unplanned emissions. You will probably be thought to have sudden onset Tourette's Syndrome because every time you shoot a string it will be followed by loud exclamations of joy liberally sprinkled with your favorite expletives. Caution: If you think you will want to have the gun refinished do it before you take delivery of the upgraded gun. Once you have fallen deeply and irrevocably in love with it you will not allow it out of your possession for any reason. This entire process isn't exactly cheap but you asked for the best, not the cheapest. Oh, you're welcome. ;)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How has the beretta 92 not made an appearance in this thread? Low recoil. Accurate. Good looking in stainless and rosewood grips.
    great for starters. Great for pro's. Only reason i dont have one is because my assets are tied up in other projects.
    They are going to be inexspensive soon to id gamble due to the new handgun of choice for the US army. Im not sure its the BEST 9mm but it deserves mention.

^^ Yeah. This. Especially for a big guy with big hands.

For me, probably a CZ75 or a Sig 228.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In my mind, the best 9mm is the one that,

A: Reliably goes bang every time I pull the booger-hook
    B: Fits my hand (grip) and carry method
    C: Accurately delivers rounds to the designated target
    D: Fits my budget
    E: Is within reach
    F: Is simple to maintain (repair, replace or upgrade parts) and clean
    G: Is a pistol(s) I've trained and practiced with, making me comfortable with it's operation and handling

This gets at it. Most of the top tier guns are negligible in their differences. The differences are in us.

There is no secret sauce.
    There is no secret ingredient.
    There is no best 9mm handgun.

If the question has to be asked, then the answer is more knowledge, training, and experience.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This gets at it. Most of the top tier guns are negligible in their differences. The differences are in us.

There is no secret sauce.
    There is no secret ingredient.
    There is no best 9mm handgun.

If the question has to be asked, then the answer is more knowledge, training, and experience.

QFT!

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    d9c158e7c01ad2ba2dd2bf08e39408cc--infinity-handgun.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Ruger P-series. Practically immortal. Built like a tank. Eats ANYTHING. Accurate enough at realistic ranges. Inexpensive, and built to stay that way. Run out of ammo? Throwing it at them will kill about anyone.
    Especially the PP94DL, with integral laser and Ruger Hogue grips:
    IMG_6389 small.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I only have/handled a handful of 9mm pistols. My vote for all around best is the SR9. It's accurate and just keeps shooting and asking for more. CZ 75 is a sweet, super smooth gun as well.

South Bender

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    South Bend
    Most accurate shooting I ever did was with a 92FS. In single action, with that long barrel, heavy frame, it's like shooting a .22. I don't own one....yet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you want the very best 9mm for carry you get a CZ 75 compact with an alloy frame. These are Israeli surplus guns and are often in less than pristine condition. But, you said you want the best gun not the prettiest. Send to gun down to Cajun Gun Works and have them install the Pro Package with the 85 trigger and 11.5# mainspring. Also have them install a 10x accurized bushing. Acquire some Truglo TFX Pro sights and install them or have them installed. Go to Greg Cote and buy some 16 round magazines with the buffer for use with a compact. Put 500 rounds through the gun to acquaint yourself with it. You will require ammunition, targets and copious amounts of wet wipes from unplanned emissions. You will probably be thought to have sudden onset Tourette's Syndrome because every time you shoot a string it will be followed by loud exclamations of joy liberally sprinkled with your favorite expletives. Caution: If you think you will want to have the gun refinished do it before you take delivery of the upgraded gun. Once you have fallen deeply and irrevocably in love with it you will not allow it out of your possession for any reason. This entire process isn't exactly cheap but you asked for the best, not the cheapest. Oh, you're welcome. ;)

^^^QFT^^^

Follow the recipe above and your perspective on what a great handgun is will forever change.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I must say that my FNS9 has proven to be one of the very best 9mm pistols I have owned. I really love it. I put another 200 rounds through it yesterday. Great Sights and trigger, feels really good in my hand and it shoots great.
    mxC3SSN.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Count me as one who doesn't get the CZ fascination. Nothing against them, they just don't do anything special for me. I am probably not good enough to appreciate whatever it is they offer.

No problem. I'm like that with the traditional Sigs and lots of others. The CZs just clicked with me but not every gun works for every person. Heck, there was a time I didn't like bourbon. Then, one day I did and have ever since, but I digress. The world would be an incredibly boring place if everyone liked the same things.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No problem. I'm like that with the traditional Sigs and lots of others. The CZs just clicked with me but not every gun works for every person. Heck, there was a time I didn't like bourbon. Then, one day I did and have ever since, but I digress. The world would be an incredibly boring place if everyone liked the same things.

I do have to say I really like the look of some of them and have been eyeing a SP01 Shadow and hoping it might make the magic happen.

Top Bottom