• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Count me as one who doesn't get the CZ fascination. Nothing against them, they just don't do anything special for me. I am probably not good enough to appreciate whatever it is they offer.

Not good enough? Yeah, that's a good one. Anyway, I would love to introduce you to some of our custom jobs. They are different animals from the stock guns.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, if I understand the thread correctly, the best 9mm handgun is the:

HKVP9G19G17M&P9FS9cP226P228CZ75BHiPower1911P210P2075ShadowP320FNS9c92fsM9P07P7M8P2000sk6906/3913ShieldG43941XD5906/3906HiPointSP01940SR9.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to see if my local shop has one.

Last edited:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    So, if I understand the thread correctly, the best 9mm handgun is the:

HKVP9G19G17M&P9FS9cP226P228CZ75BHiPower1911P210P2075ShadowP320FNS9c92fsM9P07P07P7M8P2000sk6906/3913ShieldG43941XD5906/3906HiPointSP01940SR9.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have to see if my local shop has one.

Good luck, they've been on backorder everywhere since this thread proclaimed them as such.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm in the extreme minority on this one. I don't believe there is such a thing as the BEST 9mm. It's always a matter of opinion. As long as it shoots, hits, and shoots again, that current gun in my hand is the BEST. With that said, I do like my Ruger SR1911 9mm. :yesway:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Great for discussion but I really can't possibly see there ever being one right answer to this for everybody. Too many factors which make it impossible for everybody to agree.

For me a plastic gun would never be the right answer. It's not only because of aesthetics and lack of craftsmanship, but because of felt recoil. Besides not being a fan of being beaten to death it's a matter of my hands and my arthritis which means after enough time at the range and my hands will hurt more firing something where I feel more recoil.

I currently only have ten handguns however my experience and the time I've spent with them is fairly limited. However three of these are 22s and the rest are 9mms. Of the 9mms the Sig P226 and Dan Wesson 1911 V-Bob are my favorite to shoot. I also have a 92FS but I find the P226 Tacops simply feels better in my hand, shoots easier, and I feel less recoil. Overall it's a larger handgun. After only three range trips I would have to lean towards the Sig P226. The 1911 is a thrill to shoot but my hands feel better after shooting the P226.

Heck I feel better after shooting my Ruger GP 100 22 because there's absolutely no felt recoil. So in a way that's my favorite gun at this point.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Great for discussion but I really can't possibly see there ever being one right answer to this for everybody. Too many factors which make it impossible for everybody to agree.

This is of course the correct answer, and has been mentioned more than once in this thread. (P226) There is no way that we can define a "best 9mm" since it is all opinion based, and no one has tried *every* possible option, and even if they did, "best" to one person could not possibly translate to another person's tastes and styles. (P226)

Any comments to contrary are just personal opinions. (P226)

(P226) Now if you were to change the question from "best 9mm" to something that is measurable, such as "most reliable 9mm", then I am sure there are statistics out there somewhere that would give you an answer, although you can skew statistics to show any answer you want, and you can also skew the testing procedures to show any answer you want. (P226) But at least we would get closer to a definitive answer. (P226)

How about "most durable"? (P226) How about "holds the most rounds" or is the "smallest that will fit in a pocket"? Those are all measurable metrics that we can provide a specific answer for based on numbers not opinions. (P226)

I personally cannot, and will not provide any recommendation to the question of "best" of any type! (P226) :laugh:

Great and fun discussion!!!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...For me a plastic gun would never be the right answer. It's not only because of aesthetics and lack of craftsmanship...

While I completely understand your intent, I suspect the mold makers would strongly disagree with the idea of "lack of craftsmanship". Simply put, the craftsmanship is in the mold making rather than the machining of the frame.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    While I completely understand your intent, I suspect the mold makers would strongly disagree with the idea of "lack of craftsmanship". Simply put, the craftsmanship is in the mold making rather than the machining of the frame.

The lack of craftsmanship I speak of in this case is the complete lack of any actual work by hand to the gun itself. Sorry the mold thing just isn't the same to me. Besides it's still a block of plastic and I can't get over that. I know, I know just because it's steel that doesn't mean there's any handwork either. Steel also doesn't have that cheap association that plastic does.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

For me a plastic gun would never be the right answer. It's not only because of aesthetics and lack of craftsmanship, but because of felt recoil. Besides not being a fan of being beaten to death it's a matter of my hands and my arthritis which means after enough time at the range and my hands will hurt more firing something where I feel more recoil.

I currently only have ten handguns however my experience and the time I've spent with them is fairly limited. However three of these are 22s and the rest are 9mms. Of the 9mms the Sig P226 and Dan Wesson 1911 V-Bob are my favorite to shoot. I also have a 92FS but I find the P226 Tacops simply feels better in my hand, shoots easier, and I feel less recoil. Overall it's a larger handgun. After only three range trips I would have to lean towards the Sig P226. The 1911 is a thrill to shoot but my hands feel better after shooting the P226.

Heck I feel better after shooting my Ruger GP 100 22 because there's absolutely no felt recoil. So in a way that's my favorite gun at this point.

You have experience with a lot of heavy steel framed pistols, that is great... wear one on your belt everyday and you'll see the true value of a polymer framed pistol. I have an STI 5" 9mm 1911, and your right there is zero recoil. I've had a 229 and the felt recoil is almost directly comparable with my fn509(current favorite poly). I am also really starting to enjoy my glock 34 and the felt recoil on the gen 4's is next to nothing. Now if I limp wrist the polymer pistols they will beat me up, but a proper grip all but eliminates felt recoil in my full size polymer 9mm's. The extra weight and my excessive sweat keep me selling my metal frame pistols after a trip or two to the range. I like how the 509's polymer frame allows for deep and unique stippling that keep my contact points dry and my grip consistent from dry to sweaty. You just cant do that with a metal frame. I love all guns, I just don't see the need to let my nostalgia get in the way of practicality and usefulness.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    You have experience with a lot of heavy steel framed pistols, that is great... wear one on your belt everyday and you'll see the true value of a polymer framed pistol. I have an STI 5" 9mm 1911, and your right there is zero recoil. I've had a 229 and the felt recoil is almost directly comparable with my fn509(current favorite poly). I am also really starting to enjoy my glock 34 and the felt recoil on the gen 4's is next to nothing. Now if I limp wrist the polymer pistols they will beat me up, but a proper grip all but eliminates felt recoil in my full size polymer 9mm's. The extra weight and my excessive sweat keep me selling my metal frame pistols after a trip or two to the range. I like how the 509's polymer frame allows for deep and unique stippling that keep my contact points dry and my grip consistent from dry to sweaty. You just cant do that with a metal frame. I love all guns, I just don't see the need to let my nostalgia get in the way of practicality and usefulness.

I don't carry and I only use my guns at the range for target practice so i don't share your concerns with regards to weight. So my nostalgia doesn't get in my way.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Recoil in a 9mm :dunno:

And I know there is a best one out there... I think I am just one more away from finding it... You just can't give up so easily.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Recoil in a 9mm :dunno:

And I know there is a best one out there... I think I am just one more away from finding it... You just can't give up so easily.

I'm sticking with my P320 so far...but I am still looking. Just trying to figure out if my flurry of purchase activity has me on a watch list. :dunno: :):

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

This is a great point! Most of the time, people who don't share a positive sentiment toward them in the way you do have a completely different perspective. They usually don't carry a gun. And if they do it's not as often as they say. And they usually are more concerned with how a gun looks and makes them feel than someone who looks at the gun as a tool. I hate using that expression but it's the best way to describe it. Most people I see who go out and train, plus shoot the crap out of their pistol and carry it all of the time have a good appreciation for both; both being the pretty aesthetic guns that are often honest shooters, as well as the nice useful guns that best serve their purpose.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm sticking with my P320 so far...but I am still looking. Just trying to figure out if my flurry of purchase activity has me on a watch list. :dunno: :):

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure when you sign up for INGO you are also signing up for the "watch list". Just keep on buying!

Top Bottom