• MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Exactly.

No, if it's personal, it's different. The jokes are made to keep it from being personal.

This is a thread that beings with a graphic video. I would assume that all participants in this thread have viewed the video, and we are discussing it. The jokes I make on the street are with other officers and first responders. I would never let the family hear what I say, and I would most certainly never say it to them. The reason why your military friends don't joke like that around you, is because you can't handle it. You can't imagine the things they've seen, so you're not in their circle. They are respecting you by not talking like that around you, but I assure you, it happens. Oh, and the military I was in is the United States Army. I think it's still around...

Maybe I should have toned it down a bit, this is an open public forum, after all, but as I said, all participants in this thread should be aware of the content matter, and expect certain things to be said.

Although I have been retired from LE for about four years now, this was my experience. The dark humor has a place, and is prevalent, and all but the most unprofessional among us kept it in-house.

As for toning it down, in my opinion, for what it is worth, what I have seen on this thread is snarky but not particularly over the top. I suspect the horrific nature of the video is disturbing, but the events depicted a) raise a lot of questions about how "accidental" it was, and b) demonstrate that if you live like a thug, you die like a thug.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The reason why your military friends don't joke like that around you, is because you can't handle it. You can't imagine the things they've seen, so you're not in their circle. They are respecting you by not talking like that around you, but I assure you, it happens. Oh, and the military I was in is the United States Army. I think it's still around...
    I would caution you about making assumptions about what circle I'm in and what I can handle. I've seen plenty, I've handled it well. Depending on when you were in and what you did, it's quite likely I've spent more time over there than you have... there is a certain level of dignity and respect deserved by the dead and I've seen plenty of evidence from the military community to support that assertion. Do you have to personally know the person for it to be personal and jokes are verboten? Where is that line?

I was over there in '16 when the suicide bomber blew himself up on his way to the Veteran's Day Fun Run at BAF. I never heard any jokes about the guys that were lost (2 US Service Members and 2 US Contractors FYI) and I worked around hundreds of people that didn't personally know any of them.

A forum isn't the right place for making jokes to cope with things. As Kut pointed out, nobody in this thread has to "cope" with anything related to that video.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Back to the OP, if she didn't have ill-intent in mind, she racked it so she could get it to go "click" again when she pulled the trigger right after Mr. Backseat said, "she ain't got no clip, bro." Instead of that click, it went bang and locked open which caused her to freak out and run as her friend groaned and bled profusely from the hole she just put in his head.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Where is that line?

Maybe here?

thugs.jpg

Not sure why you insist on the same amount of respect for dead thugs who prey on society and get their just deserts vs. dead veterans and family members.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I would caution you about making assumptions about what circle I'm in and what I can handle. I've seen plenty, I've handled it well. Depending on when you were in and what you did, it's quite likely I've spent more time over there than you have... there is a certain level of dignity and respect deserved by the dead and I've seen plenty of evidence from the military community to support that assertion. Do you have to personally know the person for it to be personal and jokes are verboten? Where is that line?

I was over there in '16 when the suicide bomber blew himself up on his way to the Veteran's Day Fun Run at BAF. I never heard any jokes about the guys that were lost (2 US Service Members and 2 US Contractors FYI) and I worked around hundreds of people that didn't personally know any of them.

A forum isn't the right place for making jokes to cope with things. As Kut pointed out, nobody in this thread has to "cope" with anything related to that video.

I would never joke about a dead brother, whether I knew him or not. NEVER.

Maybe you should stand up. A lot of what we're saying appears to be going over your head.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Although I have been retired from LE for about four years now, this was my experience. The dark humor has a place, and is prevalent, and all but the most unprofessional among us kept it in-house.

As for toning it down, in my opinion, for what it is worth, what I have seen on this thread is snarky but not particularly over the top. I suspect the horrific nature of the video is disturbing, but the events depicted a) raise a lot of questions about how "accidental" it was, and b) demonstrate that if you live like a thug, you die like a thug.

Make your case that he lived "like a thug."

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I gotta call shenanigans. People are making jokes as coping mechanism based on something they've seen online? I don't buy that at all. When you're there, fact to face with brain matter, or black skin and swollen bodies, yeah, then it makes sense. Online, and I'm just as guilty as anyone, it's just people exhibiting bad taste.

It is also a way of rationalizing that this act would not happen to us. Think about it. All of us deal with guns and regularly handle them, etc. Rationalizing what happened to the person in the video ("they were in a situation I would not be in", or "I observe gun handling rules", "they were hanging around thugs" and making light of the situation, etc) and why it could not/would not happen to one of us, (and yes we are somewhat in a group of people here on INGO that have at least some common ground, therefore this is considered within the group humor).

It's a coping mechanism. Yes, it was just a video, but I still maintain that rationalizing how/why it could not happen to one of us, is a coping mechanism.

Just my thought on the subject. Gallows humor exists for many reasons. First responders is definitely one aspect, but not the only one.

It is what it is. A few jokes on an internet forum. It's not going home and kicking the dog, or becoming an alcoholic to deal with life, etc. Calling everyone out on it, well that's your choice. Usually when one takes the high road, they have no need to yell at everyone below to hear the echo (This comment is not pointed at Kut, as he indicated guilty as the rest).

Last edited:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Make your case that he lived "like a thug."

I cannot conclusively prove that he lived like a thug; however, evidence points that way. Sitting in a car, streaming idiotic gunplay, is part of it. I also looked at his twitter feed, where is is flashing wads of cash. Reasonable inferences may be drawn.

However, also on his twitter feed were pictures of his young daughter; she is one I feel sorry for in all this.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Just go with it. INGO post prior to join date are unavailable.

Do you have these on a spread sheet? I would like to know what was going on in 2008 that isn't going on today.

Religious discussion? We had people like Haldir getting banned back then for things that are perfectly fine today.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I cannot conclusively prove that he lived like a thug; however, evidence points that way. Sitting in a car, streaming idiotic gunplay, is part of it. I also looked at his twitter feed, where is is flashing wads of cash. Reasonable inferences may be drawn.

However, also on his twitter feed were pictures of his young daughter; she is one I feel sorry for in all this.

LOTS of pictures of his daughter. There at her birth, subsequent birthdays, and outings. No pictures of drug use (that I've seen). Guy also sold cars at a local lot; one of those cash or "buy here pay here" places. But he did have a picture of a gun in one his photos, but I imagine we are the last people to use that at an indicator of criminality. As it stands now, calling him a thug is a bit premature.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I would never joke about a dead brother, whether I knew him or not. NEVER.
    Ok, so as long as you feel some sort of connection to the person jokes are off the table. You don't necessarily need to know them, but just have a connection. And if you didn't personally have a connection would it be ok to share jokes openly where a bystander/listener may have that connection? IMHO, no, thus the emphasis on a gallows humor being ok in a close-knit circle, but not ok outside of that. INGO is not a close-knit circle. That is the only point I'm trying to make.
    Maybe you should stand up. A lot of what we're saying appears to be going over your head.
    Maybe it is and I'm just oblivious to that fact that it is, but I don't think that's the case. I understand perfectly and I think the jokes in this thread are at the very least, in very poor taste. I'll bite my tongue as to how I actually feel because I'm just beating a dead horse... This thread is a testament to the fact that decency and respect toward one another (among INGO members) is on a downward spiral. We have guys that claim to be all grown up that can't have a discussion without getting butthurt, and slinging insults.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    There’s one in every crowd. We all agree this is tragic. We all agree we don’t want instances like this to happen. We all agree this is a sad event that could have and should have been prevented. That being said none of us had anything to do with it, and nobody on this forum as far as I know has any connection to these people. If you can’t have a sense of humor (yes, even a dark distasteful sense of humor at times) maybe the internet isn’t for you. I’ve visited many forums and from what I’ve seen on INGO it is far more respectful than a majority of them. I’m sorry if you’re offended, but you’ve offended me by being offended. Get a sense of humor, the world is a ugly place and if you expect us to hold hands and have a prayer ceremony every time a tragedy happens, well, good luck.

And what do you mean “we” when you describe small town people? I’m from a town that has less than 800 people. Please don’t lump me int that bunch. If you wanna be a snowflake and be offended at everything you read on a forum it’s gonna be a long heartbreaking ride. Don’t go to a comedy show and cancel your cable subscription.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok, so as long as you feel some sort of connection to the person jokes are off the table. You don't necessarily need to know them, but just have a connection. And if you didn't personally have a connection would it be ok to share jokes openly where a bystander/listener may have that connection? IMHO, no, thus the emphasis on a gallows humor being ok in a close-knit circle, but not ok outside of that. INGO is not a close-knit circle. That is the only point I'm trying to make.

Maybe it is and I'm just oblivious to that fact that it is, but I don't think that's the case. I understand perfectly and I think the jokes in this thread are at the very least, in very poor taste. I'll bite my tongue as to how I actually feel because I'm just beating a dead horse... This thread is a testament to the fact that decency and respect toward one another (among INGO members) is on a downward spiral. We have guys that claim to be all grown up that can't have a discussion without getting butthurt, and slinging insults.

kd2tro.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    INGO is NOTHING in comparison to other sites.
    Is it more risky than a Sunday sermon at the First Baptist Church? Yeah.
    This place is a Sunday sermon at the First Baptist Church compared to the majority of what else is out there so let us not get too carried away here.

Top Bottom