• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I guess I'm way behind the times. Silly me, I always thought that education was meant to teach people things that did not come naturally to them...including performing at a time of day you may prefer to be asleep. Y'know, skills that adults need to do something nuts like hold a job.

Great, now we all need a safe space to protect us from your thoughts.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    The title here rings true to INGO. The CDC actually didn't comment on this, but the author grabbed that report and fused the two things together. If anything, "Teen Shoots Family, Reporter Blames School Early Start."

FWIW, FtW Community Schools jiggered their schedules so that high school starts later than the younger ones.
    Did they do that specifically to help students or to help them use fewer buses? I know for Huntington schools the elementary, middle, and high school all have drastically different start times so they only have to use 1 set of buses for all 3.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did they do that specifically to help students or to help them use fewer buses? I know for Huntington schools the elementary, middle, and high school all have drastically different start times so they only have to use 1 set of buses for all 3.
    A bit of both.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sometimes I don't get INGO.

We complain about schools having poor results, and then we complain that schools act on scientific evidence prompting them to adjust start times for better results.

The school is not responsible for training children to operate at times they'd rather be asleep. That's not part of the STEM curriculum or anything else. That responsibility lies with the parent. Along with dealing with problems in a manner that doesn't involve gun play. The fail here is on the parent(s), not the school.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It seems to be a rule of present times that no one is responsible for his own actions or problems, unless you are a Republican SWM (then you're responsible for every one else's problems). Guns murder, sodas make you fat, the school makes you get up too early -- it's all of a piece.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sometimes I don't get INGO.

We complain about schools having poor results, and then we complain that schools act on scientific evidence prompting them to adjust start times for better results.

The school is not responsible for training children to operate at times they'd rather be asleep. That's not part of the STEM curriculum or anything else. That responsibility lies with the parent. Along with dealing with problems in a manner that doesn't involve gun play. The fail here is on the parent(s), not the school.

Yes parents are the first line of responsibility for training the young'uns, but allegedly too early school start times are waayyyy down the list of reasons for why schools fail miserably.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    Because going to sleep at 9pm and waking up between 6-7am is just too much. When I was in high school I was usually at school by 6:30 for band practice. I guess times have changed too much in the past 10 years.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...The school is not responsible for training children to operate at times they'd rather be asleep.

It's part of a well rounded education and a skill every child needs to have to live in the adult world. Responsible? I don't know. I think it's partially their responsibility to provide a structure that makes this expectation part of a normal day.

That responsibility lies with the parent. Along with dealing with problems in a manner that doesn't involve gun play. The fail here is on the parent(s), not the school.

I agree that the school didn't fail by starting at an earlier hour than the lazy student wanted. I also agree that this is primarily the parent's responsibility.

I think it's quaint that you threw an (s) on the end of "parent" as a nod towards the real issue.

In sum, it is perfectly appropriate for a school to start at an hour that is earlier than teenagers want and before what some eggheads declare to be optimal learning hours. Adults need to operate with externally defined hours and the teen years and in school is a good place to learn that. It's insane to claim that this ne'er-do-well would not have shot up his family if he was allowed to sleep late. If you have a mindset that allows you to shoot your family members, it's going to happen for one reason or another.

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It seems to be a rule of present times that no one is responsible for his own actions or problems...

Was just having a very depressing conversation about this with several of my colleagues the other day. Apparently, millennials have a tendency of job hopping solely because of "societal pressures" to finish climbing the ladder before the age of 30. It's worth noting that none of them could name any examples of these pressures, but they were certain that their own choices had no bearing on the matter.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    In sum, it is perfectly appropriate for a school to start at an hour that is earlier than teenagers want and before what some eggheads declare to be optimal learning hours. Adults need to operate with externally defined hours and the teen years and in school is a good place to learn that.

This is a very good point. My first year of college one of my professors said something that has always stuck with me, i'm paraphrasing but he said "While there is certain method of teaching that you individually will learn the best and the quickest from, you are capable of learning in other ways, and you will have to learn in other ways.". I think people put too much emphasis on the optimal of best way to do something. Such as kids not starting school till 10 am. Sure that might help some kids learn a little better, but i think parental discipline would help more kids more quickly than a later start time. When i was a high school there was a kid in my class who would scream at random intervals just to interrupt the class, and his parents obviously didn't care because the kid had a brand new car and all the latest gadgets, if i did something like that i would be lucky if had a single luxury left when i got home. Can you guess which one of us attended special classes and summer school every year because they flunked most their classes?

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    It's part of a well rounded education and a skill every child needs to have to live in the adult world. Responsible? I don't know. I think it's partially their responsibility to provide a structure that makes this expectation part of a normal day.

I agree that the school didn't fail by starting at an earlier hour than the lazy student wanted. I also agree that this is primarily the parent's responsibility.

I think it's quaint that you threw an (s) on the end of "parent" as a nod towards the real issue.

In sum, it is perfectly appropriate for a school to start at an hour that is earlier than teenagers want and before what some eggheads declare to be optimal learning hours. Adults need to operate with externally defined hours and the teen years and in school is a good place to learn that. It's insane to claim that this ne'er-do-well would not have shot up his family if he was allowed to sleep late. If you have a mindset that allows you to shoot your family members, it's going to happen for one reason or another.

Hear hear! Turn off the Xbox, TV, phone, tablet, etc. Hit the rack and get up on time like everyone else.

:ingo:

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Hear hear! Turn off the Xbox, TV, phone, tablet, etc. Hit the rack and get up on time like everyone else.

:ingo:

Amen to that. Also make sure that "little johnny" can't get into the gun safe. My dad would've skinned me alive at even the thought of even touching one of his guns- when I was a kid. No no no:rules::bat::nono:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The article mentions mom and grandma getting shot. I can only assume from the actions exhibited and lack of father on scene that dad is out of the picture completely.

I hear ya. The reporter inferred a connection by linking the unrelated CD report (paid by the word?), The OP then tried to make the connection stronger with the title.

Truth is this has nothing to do with when school starts and everything to do with children that don't know how to solve problems w/o resorting to violence.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    In the area of town I'm in---when I go out to get the morning paper---school bus picking up children at 6:15 AM---------

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    We have kids going to school for band practice at 5 am.

I never did, 8 am was good enough back in the day, course I worked for one of the town fathers and pretty much did as I wished. Had a teacher buck me in my senior year, following year he no longer had a teaching position.

Early to bed, early to rise, BULL, 8 am till 5 PM, plenty good, course during inventory pricing it out worked many a night till 2 am, then back at it at 8 am. One of the benefits of a salary position. Course I had to work Saturday AM's and the labor force had it off.

Still I never would have thought to shoot anyone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Most schools start too early for teenagers’s unique sleep rhythms, doctors say.
    Five out of six middle schools and high schools in the United States start before 8:30 a.m., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported last summer.

Wahhh
    My day starts at 4 AM
    When I was in high school, our first class started at 7:20. I typically get up now around 3:30 - 3:45... might sleep in until 4 on my days off.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by CDC
    "Research has shown that teens who get too little sleep are more likely to be overweight or depressed, and they are more likely to perform poorly in school and to experiment with tobacco, alcohol and other drugs."

Six Words - Pus-Si-Fi-Ca-Tion

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that schools start later than 8:30 a.m. to help teens avoid becoming chronically sleep-deprived and exhausted.

Seems like we had to be in homeroom by 7:30. Somehow, we survived without shooting anyone.
    Maybe it was the threat of having my father's boot up my heinie if I didn't get out of bed & go to school.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The title here rings true to INGO. The CDC actually didn't comment on this, but the author grabbed that report and fused the two things together. If anything, "Teen Shoots Family, Reporter Blames School Early Start."

FWIW, FtW Community Schools jiggered their schedules so that high school starts later than the younger ones.
    Was going to make the same point so instead just bumping this again. WaPo writer is the one trying to make excuses here.

Top Bottom