• ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, what time did they make him get up?

Sounds like a FEW other problems in that household. Wakey-wakey time being the least.

Kid better hope he gets a 2nd shift job after he gets out of juvi.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I didn't want to come to work today either. But I chose not to shoot my family.
    It never ceases to amaze me what the media and CDC will come up with. There is a lot of truth to sleep deprivation, but it seems like everyone else deals with it.
    I'm tired this morning too.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I never liked getting up to go to school. Then I never gave it a second thought to go hunting or fishing. For what it was worth I never thought about shooting the adults for getting me up. My have times changed or is that kid just nuts?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Apparently this is not taught in school today. There is a complete unwillingness to go to bed among the lower SESs. I see the correlation between SES and sleep schedules (regardless of shift) daily.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Apparently this is not taught in school today. There is a complete unwillingness to go to bed among the lower SESs. I see the correlation between SES and sleep schedules (regardless of shift) daily.
    From the day i was born till i was in 7th or 8th grade my bed time was 8:30 PM, no if, ands, or buts about it. I never had much trouble getting up in time for school, other than the usual i don't want to get out of bed till the last minute thing every teenager does. I'm still very much not a morning person, but now i work 3rd shift so its nearly a perfect schedule for me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's so awesome living in a time where complete strangers will fight one another to make up an excuse for your bad behavior.

One of my dogs just tore out the back door after a squirrel when I let her out. One of my toes served as her spring board and it hurts like a mutha. I think I'll burn the house down.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe he would have listened to his Dad telling him to get up, but obviously Dad had gotten up earlier and gone to work.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Most schools start too early for teenagers’s unique sleep rhythms, doctors say.
    Five out of six middle schools and high schools in the United States start before 8:30 a.m., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported last summer.

Wahhh
    My day starts at 4 AM

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Most schools start too early for teenagers’s unique sleep rhythms, doctors say.
    Five out of six middle schools and high schools in the United States start before 8:30 a.m., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported last summer.

Wahhh
    My day starts at 4 AM

There is a lot of evidence that shows the school day does start too early for children for optimal learning. It should be closer to 10 AM IIRC, but it has been a while since I have heard much about it.

But seriously, how many times can the CDC say stupid stuff and get away with it?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The start time aligns with convenient child care times for the majority of workers. A later start time would only require additional "before care", and not change the wakey-wakey time at all.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you are not willing or able to get out of bed in the morning then you should just quit school and run away from home and become a certified low-life. I saw plenty of guys like this in the military. A good Drill Sgt. can usually straighten them out - or get them kicked out. In boot camp there were several guys who "thought" they could just stay in their bunk at 5:00 AM. Problem was we all got punished for their stupidity. It didn't take long for the rest of us to "help" them with their "problem".

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you are not willing or able to get out of bed in the morning then you should just quit school and run away from home and become a certified low-life. I saw plenty of guys like this in the military. A good Drill Sgt. can usually straighten them out - or get them kicked out. In boot camp there were several guys who "thought" they could just stay in their bunk at 5:00 AM. Problem was we all got punished for their stupidity. It didn't take long for the rest of us to "help" them with their "problem".

Was saran wrap and bars of soap in a sock ever involved? I'm not sayin....I'm just sayin I may have heard​ of such shenanigans.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The title here rings true to INGO. The CDC actually didn't comment on this, but the author grabbed that report and fused the two things together. If anything, "Teen Shoots Family, Reporter Blames School Early Start."

FWIW, FtW Community Schools jiggered their schedules so that high school starts later than the younger ones.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'd love to know what the perfect environment is for each age group according to the various "experts". You know, safe places, positive words, wake times, chore times, etc.

Young teens shouldn't be in school prior to 8:30 a.m., college students need their "safe places" where everyone thinks alike, everyone should get a trophy. . . . it would be interesting to see the "ideal" environment as outlined by an outrageously overfunded government study!:alcoholic:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I guess I'm way behind the times. Silly me, I always thought that education was meant to teach people things that did not come naturally to them...including performing at a time of day you may prefer to be asleep. Y'know, skills that adults need to do something nuts like hold a job.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    One of my dogs just tore out the back door after a squirrel when I let her out. One of my toes served as her spring board and it hurts like a mutha. I think I'll burn the house down.

Maybe just the tool shed? It's only one toe. Proportionality please, let's be reasonable.:D

Top Bottom