Taqueria robber shot dead by patron. video /bad shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have little sympathy for the dead guy, and a lot more for the shooter.
    He acted in self-defense at the onset without a doubt. Would I have taken the last 3-4 shots? Probably not, but it is impossible to say without being there.
    I would not take a life for property, but if someone is pacing around a crowded cafe waiving a gun in the air I would probably wait until the bad guy wasn't facing me to draw on him too. I would do that alone, not to mention if I was with a friend/family member. And it's impossible to judge whether the bad guy was going to make another lap around the diner before he left. The idea that he was running away and shot is asinine.
    Hope he gets off with letter of thanks from the county, but I would not be surprised if he gets an arrest warrant instead.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Even if the shooter isn't charged criminally, it is likely that "relatives" will come out of the woodwork to claim that the robber was really a good man and was "turning his life around". Some lawyer will file a civil suit against the shooter to "seek justice" (AKA money) on behalf of the "family"! The local news will have the "family members" plastered all over the local tv screens. BLM may get involved and demand "action". The green flag is out and the checkered flag won't be waived for years and years.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Even if the shooter isn't charged criminally, it is likely that "relatives" will come out of the woodwork to claim that the robber was really a good man and was "turning his life around". Some lawyer will file a civil suit against the shooter to "seek justice" (AKA money) on behalf of the "family"! The local news will have the "family members" plastered all over the local tv screens. BLM may get involved and demand "action". The green flag is out and the checkered flag won't be waived for years and years.
    **** all of those ****ing ******* mother ****ers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There may be a lawsuit, but there's too much of the mope's actions on screen for him to become a cause celeb.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Sometimes I wonder if in a high stress situation a person might empty a weapon into a bad guy?

Lets see
    1. I have witnessed people freak out and turn other humans into hamburger.

2. Military people are taught to keep shooting until you are sure bad guy is no longer a threat.

3. I have attended many training classes and the term “burn em to the ground” seems common.

4. You might tell yourself that you wouldn’t do something. Myself and others here on INGO can tell you that in a real situation it’s difficult. Often I didn’t even know how may rounds I fired.

But I carry a .45 so I only need one shot!

Lpherr

Occupied
    Sometimes I wonder if in a high stress situation a person might empty a weapon into a bad guy?

Lets see
    1. I have witnessed people freak out and turn other humans into hamburger.

2. Military people are taught to keep shooting until you are sure bad guy is no longer a threat.

3. I have attended many training classes and the term “burn em to the ground” seems common.

4. You might tell yourself that you wouldn’t do something. Myself and others here on INGO can tell you that in a real situation it’s difficult. Often I didn’t even know how may rounds I fired.

But I carry a .45 so I only need one shot!
    You should carry a 9mm. "It'll blow their lungs out".

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Are you being purposefully argumentative? I never said there was no self defense. I said there was a big difference.

I never even said which this is. That is up to the authorities in Houston to determine and possibly a jury.

I do not believe that once a person is taken out of the fight that it is OK to just execute them for whatever crime they committed.

To me, it looks like the last shots were out of anger and adrenaline. The last shot looks like it was in the guys butt.
    Give an all inclusive definition of “taken out of the fight” that can be applied equally in every case, in every state so we have continuity of applied law.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    wouldnt that be a bad shoot because he was leaving the store , no direct threat at that time.? MHO. I am not sure.
    I believe texas law provides the ability to use deadly force to protect yours and others personal property. In this case money. The direction the perp was traveling shouldn’t change the ability to use that force.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    breathing
    I'm pretty sure that stopped before the last 3 or 4 shots.

My personal position is that I shoot to stop the threat. Period.

I'm not judging the shooter in this case. Things happen fast, adrenaline gets pumping, chaos ensues. We have the luxury of watching the video over and over, even slowing it down. Obviously he was in the moment and did what he believed he had to do.

However, the "fog of war" will not always carry the day to keep you out of legal trouble. Right after ending the threat to life needs to thoughts of threats to freedom. We act like once the other guy pulls the gun, we can do whatever we want indefinitely. That's not the way this works.

Seriously, the "overkill" shots likely did not kill him in this case. The ship had sailed on that and the shooter should have no issue....but it pays to give the issue some thought.....and better yet, training.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The shooting from behind thing is so odd to me….. seems like leftover Wild West rules of conduct. But you’re right without more information it is all speculation.
    "Where" you shoot someone isn't as important in determining self-defense as "why" and "when" you shoot them.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm pretty sure that stopped before the last 3 or 4 shots.

My personal position is that I shoot to stop the threat. Period.

I'm not judging the shooter in this case. Things happen fast, adrenaline gets pumping, chaos ensues. We have the luxury of watching the video over and over, even slowing it down. Obviously he was in the moment and did what he believed he had to do.

However, the "fog of war" will not always carry the day to keep you out of legal trouble. Right after ending the threat to life needs to thoughts of threats to freedom. We act like once the other guy pulls the gun, we can do whatever we want indefinitely. That's not the way this works.

Seriously, the "overkill" shots likely did not kill him in this case. The ship had sailed on that and the shooter should have no issue....but it pays to give the issue some thought.....and better yet, training.
    My comment was more the fact that as long as humans are breathing they are capable of being a threat. nothing more

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The main thing is what the prosecutor does. Reportedly he said no charges. Since this is Texas it is fairly likely the prosecutor is not a lying bastard. If no charges are filed then that is what counts.
    Eh, Harris county district attorney is a left-wing criminal justice reform type. As I’ve said elsewhere, Houston government seems to be trying to turn Houston into the Chicago of Texas.

Personally I think the interest of justice will be served if nobody ever finds any of the patrons of that restaurant, the cops find other cases to work on, and this case just gets shelved. There are plenty of clear-cut cases of murder in Houston for investigation.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    To my (again the imperfect) knowledge, there has never been a successful lawsuit against a self-defense shooting in Texas, at least since the first concealed handgun license law came into effect in the 90s. In fact I’ve never been able to find one that was actually filed, just occasionally some threats made via some news reporter writing an article.

And I hate to disparage anyone simply because of their appearance or where they dine, but that patron that smoked the robber did not look like Mr. Moneybags to me. So a litigating lawyer would have to come up with a richer target, and the restaurant doesn’t look like it’s overly ritzy either.

Top Bottom