Taqueria robber shot dead by patron. video /bad shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So if he didn't shoot, the bad guy was pulling another gun with his other hand we don't see and shot the good guy that's ok because he didn't shoot him in the head. Got it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Well lookee here. He decided to talk to the cops.

Grand jury was mentioned here. He didn't say there is one for this case specifically to hash this out.

This should insulation the politician, I mean prosecutor, from any push back.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    l would not convict. Everything that happened was a direct result of the criminal's decision to commit armed robbery. Put people in mortal fear, and adrenaline is a bitch.

One of my favorite quotes, from 1DCA (FL, not TX), in Stinson v State: "That the attacker sustained a mortal wound is a matter that should have been considered by the deceased before he committed himself to the task he undertook."
    "Don't let your alligator mouth overload your tadpole ass".
    Just one of my dad's favorite witticisms.
    Miss you dad.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    On Monday, the medical examiner identified Eric Eugene Washington as the robbery suspect who was shot and killed.

Records show Washington had an extensive criminal history and was out on bond at the time of the robbery.

Washington was sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2015 for an aggravated robbery, which was pleaded down from capital murder for the 2013 robbery and murder of 62-year-old Hamid Waraich, records show.

He was released on parole in 2021 and charged with assaulting his girlfriend in 2022, according to records.

Officers with the Houston Police Department told Eyewitness News that an attorney, who is making arrangements for the customer who opened fire, has reached out to speak with investigators.

The 46-year-old customer's name hasn't been released because he's not under arrest, police said.
    University of Houston Law Center Professor Sandra Guerra Thompson said the District Attorney has several options when considering this case.

"They can take no action.
    They can go to the grand jury and ask them for no indictment.
    They could go to the grand jury and say, we're going to leave this up to you, or they could ask for a charge,"
    Thompson said.

Grand jury will decide fate of customer who shot and killed robber at taqueria, HPD says

Now a jury of the customer’s peers will decide if he will have to contend with any criminal charges.

“Today (Jan. 9), the male, 46, was questioned by Houston police homicide detectives,” police said. “After consulting with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office, it was determined the shooting will be referred to a grand jury. Since the male is not arrested or charged, his identity is not being released.”

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Info on the criminal.
    10 years prior he robbed a cellstore and killed the shop owner. In front of the owners wife and sons.

He was convicted of a lower crime and sent to jail but only servered 1/2 the sentencd before being released.

Shocked I tell ya. Shocked.

If I have to add purple you’re not paying attention

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So apparently his conversation with the police already happened earlier today?

A. Why send it to a Grand Jury at all?

B. FTA:
    Who is the suspect?

Houston police identified the suspect as 30-year-old Eric Eugene Washington.

DPS and court documents reveal that Washington was out on bond at the time of the robbery for an assault of a family member charge from December. He was due back in court later this month.

In 2015, a jury sentenced Washington to serve 15 years in prison on a 2013 aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon charge
    , court documents show. Prosecutors initially charged him with capital murder in the 2013 case, but records show the jury instead convicted him of the lesser charge of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. Records show he got parole in early 2021.

“Will the grand jury care? Yes, because they will see that this man had a track record of being a stone-cold, card-carry, no doubt about it, aggravated robber,” Wice said.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Firing a shot after the robbers gun was picked up by the shooter, and then the shooter shoots again?

First 4 - I get it
    Second 4 - I've never been in a situation that required using a gun
    Last shot - overkill

Does this make the guy a criminal? I don't know.

I am wondering how this will be played, not only by the prosecution but the media's response to the final verdict. There is allot of great comments here. Looking forward to what happens next.
    "Overkill" isn't a thing in the context of use of deadly force. Deadly force causes the target to go from "alive" to "dead". That use of force is either justified or unjustified.

This view will probably get me excluded from any deadly-force trial during voir dire.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yes it happened. Luckily he did get a lawyer.

They got Soros and BLM into the article. Maybe the DA is anti gun.

Just to keep the facts straight, which is in no way giving any credit to the robber, just what I'm reading reported, he was arrested in connection with a murder. Pulled the trigger? I don't know but irrelevant. Just personally keeping my fact and opinion pile separate, but still irrelevant.
    Irrelevant to any outcome here, not irrelevant to the family that lost a loved one.

Report •••

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Alright I will admit I do not know what it takes to become a police officer if what you’re saying is true for most departments then I think that is extremely irresponsible to put a poorly trained individual into highly stressful and dangerous situations. I mean to become a plumber is like a 3 year apprenticeship and you just get a torch.
    It seems to me that the requirements to become a plumber are heavily influenced by unions. I have my doubts that it really takes three years for a person, with the necessary intelligence and aptitude, to be an apprentice for 3 years to be proficient in the trade. A plumber who makes an error, may have to make amends by re-doing a project and/ or reimbursing a customer financially. Generally, nobody makes a video of their work and puts it on social media to be scrutinized long after the project is completed. Police work isn't all about shooting incidents, and although armed encounters aren't rare, actual incidents, when a police officer has to fire his/ her weapon on duty, are. Being injured on the job (not due to a weapon) isn't uncommon during one's career, either. A police officer who is perceived as making an error, not only puts his/ her career on the line, he/ she may well be held to account criminally. Roughly, in Indiana, a plumber earns 44k-83k per annum. A police officer 56k-65k. Basically, it is comparing apples and oranges.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yep, through a lawyer. Lawyers generally don't work for free.
    Ammo is the cheapest part of a self defense shooting.

This approach of lawyering up is the cheap part of pulling the trigger. If shooter hung around to chat with the police at the taco place the cost of a lawyer trying to undo his statements at trial would cost a lot more.

Preventive maintenance like changing your oil vs. rebuilding the engine after it seized up.

Top Bottom