Taqueria robber shot dead by patron. video /bad shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If they charge him and trial they are just wasting $$$. The prosecuter has to ask himself if all 12 TEXANS are going guilty on shooting too many times. I suppose if he is in a liberal controlled city then he will have to just to keep his liberal votes. If this happened in WI it would be another Kyle case for sure. I say shoot until there’s no more threat. I’m not sure in the end if robber still had his gun. If he had dropped it and guy still shooting because he thought he still had it, that’s good enough for me for him to keep shooting.
    Huh? He literally picked up the bad guy's gun before shooting him the last time.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Have you noticed these days you can look at a news story and replace "activists" with "stupid people" or "dumba***s" and it actually makes a little more sense?
    In my head, I read "commie bastards". I figure one or two in every group are judas goats who are in contact (whether they know it or not) with a foreign backed handler.

That one or two hooks up with some other local losers and it is off to the craft store with a pocket of chinese/saudi/israeli/etc money for poster board and grievance politics.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In my head, I read "commie bastards". I figure one or two in every group are judas goats who are in contact (whether they know it or not) with a foreign backed handler.

That one or two hooks up with some other local losers and it is off to the craft store with a pocket of chinese/saudi/israeli/etc money for poster board and grievance politics.
    You forgot the Russians

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Why do you keep indicating the robber was dead before the headshot? As I mentioned above, we have no proof of when he died. We do not know what shots hit him or if any of the initial ones were instantly fatal. The raw video does not provide enough information to make a definitive decision, one way or another.
    This ^^^ …. So if you’re still breathing you can still be shot? Where is the threat!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This ^^^ …. So if you’re still breathing you can still be shot? Where is the threat!
    I look at this from a defense perspective. From that perspective, I'm going to make the state prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was alive for the last shot. The defense DOES NOT have to prove he was dead.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Bumping this for a member that can't seem to find the thread

Anyone hear any updates on this?

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    I look at this from a defense perspective. From that perspective, I'm going to make the state prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was alive for the last shot. The defense DOES NOT have to prove he was dead.
    I would think someone would have to prove he was a threat when he was shot laying on the ground ‍! maybe not!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I would think someone would have to prove he was a threat when he was shot laying on the ground ‍! maybe not!
    With due respect... you have it backwards. In court the shooter is presumed innocent. Defense doesn't have to prove anything. Rather the prosecutor has to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he was no longer an apparent threat, and therefore the further shots (somewhere between shots 5 and 9) were not justified. Not prove that he wasn't a threat, but prove he didn't appear to be a threat any longer. How do you prove that? What if the body moved as the chest relaxed making it look in the .25 seconds you have to react like he was rolling over to engage w/ another gun. Prosecutor has to prove that in that .25 seconds of real time it was very apparent he was NOT a threat. I certainly can't make that determination. I can only start to think that by careful study of the video in slow motion. The shooter didn't have that time.

Just as in other areas of life, it is easy to prove something exists, but very hard to prove it doesn't. This is the situation before the prosecutor.

--Rick

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    With due respect... you have it backwards. In court the shooter is presumed innocent. Defense doesn't have to prove anything. Rather the prosecutor has to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he was no longer an apparent threat, and therefore the further shots (somewhere between shots 5 and 9) were not justified. Not prove that he wasn't a threat, but prove he didn't appear to be a threat any longer. How do you prove that? What if the body moved as the chest relaxed making it look in the .25 seconds you have to react like he was rolling over to engage w/ another gun. Prosecutor has to prove that in that .25 seconds of real time it was very apparent he was NOT a threat. I certainly can't make that determination. I can only start to think that by careful study of the video in slow motion. The shooter didn't have that time.

Just as in other areas of life, it is easy to prove something exists, but very hard to prove it doesn't. This is the situation before the prosecutor.

--Rick
    Really, he doesn't have to prove the guy wasn't perceived as a threat. He only has to convince the jury.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Really, he doesn't have to prove the guy wasn't perceived as a threat. He only has to convince the jury.
    Not even that. He merely has to provide a modicum of evidence that he believed him to be a threat. That is the standard for a self-defense claim. It is up to the state to disprove that the decedent was a threat.

Top Bottom