• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I would be very aware of everything that happens next. I CCW so I would make sure my firearm is uncovered from my shirt and ready to go. Then be ready for anything.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I would make sure I was in a good position to draw, but would not do so until: A) He has drawn a weapon, B) he has threatened someone, and C) he appears about to make good on that threat. The trick is to figure out when violence is already inevitable and when it would only be sparked by drawing your weapon. If he was just going to grab some money from the register and leave before any police could be alerted, then there's no sense turning it into a deadly fight. If, however, he's already becoming unreasonably violent, it may be time to start inching your hand towards that IWB holster...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Make a mental note of the individual's description. Get up and move out of line of sight, most likey on the way to the bathroom. Be ready and able to respond if the need arises (e.g. call 911 and draw weapon). If nothing happens, no harm done.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Bars have pool cues and heavy ashtrays.

Is the waitress/bartender alarmed? <----------------- IMPORTANT INFO.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Stand up as unobtrusively as possible (so I don't have to deal with the stool if I need to move fast) and watch the situation to see what develops.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Watch and see...make mental notes or even a cell phone pic of perpetrator on the sly and be a good witness....unless things turn bad and the guy becomes a threat...I will not start a firefight over money. Just don't scare me or threaten to injure anyone else...that will get you dead.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Put one hand under my conceal garment (inconspicuously), grip my gun, and monitor the situation closely. If I'm sitting at a booth, I probably scoot towards the edge for easy exit.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    unclasp my weapon have my hand on the grip ready to pull.If he does nothing then quickly turn to the door to make sure im not about to get rik rolled......Besides what kind of bar are u in where u are goin to be robbed. Yes i carry everywhere i go but i try to stay out of bad places.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    It’s interesting to me to see how many people chose to uncover or actually draw their weapon in this case. While you are so fixed on the supposed BG and have displayed your weapon, another customer (who you may not even see) may have their eyes on YOU, and now YOU appear to be the potential BG and have actually shown a deadly weapon; something the other guy has yet to do. I say discretely move to better cover and observe, while going over the what-if’s in your mind.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Discreetly pull shirt up over IWB gun/holster and get a firm grip in anticipation of needing to draw. Continue to assess the situation until further action (or lack thereof) is necessary.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Copyright 2009 by James M. Floyd, Jr. All rights reserved.

Tactical Decision Games (TDG) are utilized by the military and public safety agencies as a low tech, yet effective, means of experiencing and discussing the practical application of decision making skills to situations.

Below is a TDG I created to stimulate your thinking. To participate, please read the TDG, and then make your decision, based only on the (intentionally limited) information provided, within 10 seconds. Then post a reply stating your decision and your rationale.

The goal of a TDG is not to seek "the only" or "the correct" answer but instead is intended to create a social learning environment, so please do not hesitate to participate. If you find this useful, I will be happy to post additional TDGs.

Here is the scenario:

The Bar Experience

TIME: 1:30 p.m.

PLACE: Bar and Grill

WEATHER: Sunny, 72 degrees Fahrenheit

LIGHTING: Medium level artificial lighting

SITUATION: You are armed and sitting in your favorite bar eating a late lunch and drinking a soft drink. You, the female bartender, and a male cook are the only people present. A white male wearing a long sleeve sweatshirt, jeans, tennis shoes, and a hat pulled down to the bridge of his nose enters the bar. He has, and keeps, both hands in his sweatshirt pockets as he walks quickly past you to the opposite end of the building where the opening to the back of the bar, and the cash register, are located. He then looks into the kitchen and suddenly turns towards the bartender at the cash register.

What is your selected course of action? Make a decision within the next 10 seconds.

Regards,

Jim

If he robs the place then I would...

Make mental notes of his appearance, height, clothing, direction of travel once he leaves, etc. and defend yourself with force if an opportunity presents itself.

If he orders a coke then still get a good description of him including the elements above and relax unless he robs the joint.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Hint... Watch the Outdoor Channel's Best Defense, if/when ya can. I know it doesn't replace good training but it does have good points and it will get you thinking about situational awareness more.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    look out front ,is there a car waiting? are there more people he could be with? get myself in a position so that no one is between me and the male or behind the male for that matter, right hand goes partially into front pocket( i apedix carry)thumb goes under shirt and left hand is downlowmale is always in my peripheral vision. Or you could be a good witness if you feel its warrented.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    I would simply turn so my right side was away from him, and move my cover (shirt) over the top of my holster so I could draw quickly. Perhaps get my hand on the phone, dial 911, and wait with my finger on the "Call" button.

im not sure about others but if you punch 911 into my phone it automatically dials it.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    As he walked in, I would have watched if he triggered recognition in the other two. He seems to know the place. I'd be sitting at a table, my back to the wall, and at a heightened state. Perhaps hand on CW...other than that, wait and watch.

Top Bottom