• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Somebody on another board made a comment about all the false signals and noises and crap from the MH370 hunt.

Sadly my guess about the titanium end caps being the most identifiable remains was right, plus that big tail fairing. Not sure on the actual size of the sub debris field but it sounding spread out is consistent with failing at 9000ish feet.

Nothing fails slow at that depth. It went instantaneous. My morbid engineer brain is interested in seeing images of the pressure hull remains, I wonder if there are clues there. Like an intact viewport? I know it was a big focus item, but my suspicion is still a material failure in the carbon fiber or the interfacing.

That's my guess as well. The sad thing being that carbon fiber is used in aerospace, racing, etc. because it has a high strength-to-weight ratio and it is easy to create compound curves with it. Neither of these is necessary in a submersible. The downside to carbon fiber is that, as you point out, the interfacing is a weak point. Something critical in a submersible. It never would have made any sense to anybody with any technical knowledge. Hubris costs lives.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I’m assuming this was the maiden voyage. Can’t recall seeing that stated. Another ironic point of this story.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I’m assuming this was the maiden voyage. Can’t recall seeing that stated. Another ironic point of this story.
    No, but close. They took it out last year and had a bunch of problems. I think it only completed a couple of dives to 12000.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Air increases in temperature when compressed. The air in the pressure vessel compressed to 1/375th its previous volume and increased in temperature to...a lot.

But, humans are mostly water, and water isn't compressible, so...? I honestly don't know. There's no precedent for this.
    The following is a tedious and largely unimportant point: Water does compress, but not very much. One of the introductory physics problems is calculating the pressure at x depth when water has a density of rho(x) away from the surface. For the purposes of running a bass boat on the lake or a pump down 30', water is effectively incompressible. From sea level to deep sea? Totally different scenario.

More to the real point:
    I think the weirder thing is what it means to combust in this scenario. Unlike with an engine, there's no supply of oxygen for the combustion. Materials (like fat, bone, water, etc) act differently under extreme pressures and at very cold environmental temperatures. I have no idea how those materials act at those temps and pressures, especially on 1-10 millisecond timescales. Very cold, very high pressure, over very short periods of time breaks all the usual rules.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldnt call it the third trip. From reports, this was the third trip to make it to depth. Lots of other attempts, but were abandoned due to technical issues on the way down.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I imagine that they were dead before they even realized that something was wrong. At least, I hope that is what happened. I don't imagine the event spanned more than a few hundredths of a second.
    If they weren't, what are the odds that they beat the Oceangate CEO to death with a PS5 controller before the air ran out?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    FzPRoghaIAYXLnX

giphy.webp

Top Bottom