• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Do you guys think they were going to use that tax payer money to give you something? Shut up about it....

Waste tax payer money is the absolute most hilarious phrase.... That's all it ever is is wasted... Stop trying to control what you can't. Whiners. I sware.
    Police, fire, highway construction and repair, probably the FAA...I don't spend much time following where my taxes go because I largely agree with you, but some of it pays for things I approve of.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    It does appear that now there is a legitimate reason to place a submersible robot with robotic arms and hands down to the Titanic wreck site. Along with the lift ability to retrieve items. Who’s to say what they bring up? Or from where?

Never let a good disaster go to waste.

Just a thought.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Do you guys think they were going to use that tax payer money to give you something? Shut up about it....

Waste tax payer money is the absolute most hilarious phrase.... That's all it ever is is wasted... Stop trying to control what you can't. Whiners. I sware.
    Ok, there was a billionaire on that thing. No reason his family can’t foot the entire recovery bill. No reason to bring tax dollars into the discussion.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    This should make everyone feel better....

OceanGate took out nearly $450,000 in PPP loans and used the pandemic business stoppage to improve the doomed Titan sub's hull after tests found it was too weak.​

• OceanGate received $447,000 in Paycheck Protection Program loans in 2020
    • The loans, used to cover payroll during pandemic, were ultimately forgiven
    • Company spent much of 2020 reinforcing the hull of doomed Titan submersible

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The video I watched with james cameron talking about the hull was pretty informative.
    Basically you can cycle extreme pressures to a steel hull hundreds of times without it weakening.
    With the carbon fiber you have material layers that move at different rates when compressed and they rub against each other with every compression cycle.
    Catastrophic failure at some point is baked in.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The video I watched with james cameron talking about the hull was pretty informative.
    Basically you can cycle extreme pressures to a steel hull hundreds of times without it weakening.
    With the carbon fiber you have material layers that move at different rates when compressed and they rub against each other with every compression cycle.
    Did their "aerospace industry partners" not have something to say about that?

Or maybe aerospace just doesn't deal with pressure environments like that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My sub was designed for 1,000 dive/surfaces.

I was onboard as we exceeded it, and we just kept going after that.
    As long as the "goes up" equals the "goes down", then you're okay.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Did their "aerospace industry partners" not have something to say about that?

Or maybe aerospace just doesn't deal with pressure environments like that.
    Their "partners" denied having any involvement with the design of the Titan submersible's pressure vessel contrary to what Oceangate has said.

The CEO of Oceangate Expedition Stockton Rush said in a 2020 interview that OceanGate had worked with all three institutions to develop the pressure vessel for the Titan.

Mr Rush said: "There are certain things that you want to be buttoned down."

"The pressure vessel is not MacGyver at all, because that's where we worked with Boeing and NASA and the University of Washington.

NASA said: "NASA Marshall engineers only participated remotely in technical interchange meetings with OceanGate, providing consultation for materials and manufacturing processes based on industry standards.

"We did not provide any approvals for the project as OceanGate was the technical authority."

Boeing said it was "not a partner on the Titan and did not design or build it". The University of Washington also denied involvement in making the ship.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Their "partners" denied having any involvement with the design of the Titan submersible's pressure vessel contrary to what Oceangate has said.

The CEO of Oceangate Expedition Stockton Rush said in a 2020 interview that OceanGate had worked with all three institutions to develop the pressure vessel for the Titan.

"The pressure vessel is not MacGyver at all, because that's where we worked with Boeing and NASA and the University of Washington.

NASA said: "NASA Marshall engineers only participated remotely in technical interchange meetings with OceanGate, providing consultation for materials and manufacturing processes based on industry standards.

"We did not provide any approvals for the project as OceanGate was the technical authority."

Boeing said it was "not a partner on the Titan and did not design or build it". The University of Washington also denied involvement in making the ship.

He consulted the REAL experts.
    Sanitation and Food Distribution Engineers.

(Not that there's anything wrong with those employees. I just wouldn't use them to design ships)

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville

Was this said before or after it went missing?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Tom Clancy wrote about it in "The Hunt for Red October" published in 1984.

What's top secret about it, is where it is and what the capabilities are.
    That's weird. I was thinking it was around 85 or 86.
    I had a book from the first 3 printings. I know that because it was printed by the US Naval Institute, and they printed 3 printings, before selling it to another publisher.

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    That's weird. I was thinking it was around 85 or 86.
    I had a book from the first 3 printings. I know that because it was printed by the US Naval Institute, and they printed 3 printings, before selling it to another publisher.
    Oddly, it came out on October 1, 1984. At least that's what the interweb tells me.

Top Bottom