Optigrab

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Fun fact: I toured the USS Cobia earlier today and had the good fortune to have a veteran of the subsequent submarine class along and willing to talk at any opportunity. I got him to go into detail on the escape trunks.

Yeaaah... they sound great until you're looking at one. Especially the telescoping one in the aft torpedo room that has to be ASSEMBLED before you can use it. You seal yourself in a steel pipe the size of a casket and then open a valve to flood said casket with water before cracking the hatch and swimming out without accidentally swimming off into the superstructure and drowning.

It's scary, man. And only good for a couple hundred feet.

When sailors families toured the sub, they'd get shown the escape hatches, so they wouldn't worry about their son.
    Other than that...
    Depending on you mission, you spend less than 5 percent of your time in a place where you can use them for a free ascent.
    And your chance of living long enough for a DSRV was incredibly small.
    While conducting some training with 'mission personnel', we had the USS Kittiwake ASR-13 following us around... just in case.
    Probably the best chances we had of being rescued.

Kinda says something about what we were doing though, to station an ASR with us.

If you look up the Kittiwake, they had an interesting exchange with a Greenpeace ship.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I did some looking around to satisfy my curiosity. One theory I read said the inside of the sub essentially becomes like the combustion chamber of a diesel engine. The air and hydrocarbons(people) are compressed until it all ignites.
    Also depends on the sub's propulsion.
    What kind of chemicals are in the air.
    Subs are machines.
    They have chemicals.
    Some of those, are not good.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I'd do it.

But not in some bargain basement hunk of junk created in someone's backyard.
    This is why I don't see any point of spending taxpayer money on bring up debris. What of any value could possibly be learned by analyzing this thing compared to the cost of bringing it up. Professionals that design these kinds of things would probably just roll their eyes. If the lawyers of the deceased want it as evidence for their lawsuits than let them pay for the recovery.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is why I don't see any point of spending taxpayer money on bring up debris. What of any value could possibly be learned by analyzing this thing compared to the cost of bringing it up. Professionals that design these kinds of things would probably just roll their eyes. If the lawyers of the deceased want it as evidence for their lawsuits than let them pay for the recovery.
    Cause you still learn how things happen, and use that knowledge in the future.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I think that statement is correct.
    Nothing wrong with it.
    But... it's predicated on the "there is a limit".
    You have to do things safe, make things safe.
    Cause one day, it may not be safe, and you need all your sh*t to work.
    And the utterly ignorant and / or incompetent who have only disdain for those with experience have NO idea where that line is.

In my professional life I frequently remind my coworkers that our regulatory agency is a "tombstone agency". If you know the history, or dig hard enough, there is almost always a pile of dead bodies behind a Rule (at least the early ones). Those are NOT lessons to be ignored. When they are ignored, eventually you end up with more dead bodies.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Eh. This is pretty much how I'd anticipate dying if I won a hundred million in the lottery. Or a rocket explosion.

"Yo, you hear about Ark? He built a replica of an X15 in his garage and launched it off a 737 he bought from a scrapyard!"

"Wow! How'd it go?"

"Oh, disintegrated immediately. Obviously."
    I thought you were the “jumping the Grand Canyon “ type…

• Haha
    Reactions: Ark

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Maybe they shoulda hired those boring old white dudes after all? :dunno:
    OceanGate's sketchy experimental application of aerospace tech in his effort to "innovate", paired with his choice to not hire boring old white veteran submariners brings to mind that old aviation adage: "There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots."

Stockton Rush just proved the same is true for submariners.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    OceanGate's sketchy experimental application of aerospace tech in his effort to "innovate", paired with his choice to not hire boring old white veteran submariners brings to mind that old aviation adage: "There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots."

Stockton Rush just proved the same is true for submariners.
    Sure there are,
    All the old men Before and After like Chuck Yeager, that Jockey the Unknown.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Titanic director and submersible expert James Cameron said he predicted Titan's implosion days before the debris from the missing submersible was found, calling the search a 'prolonged nightmarish charade'

Cameron, who has visited the world's most famous seawreck 30 times, said the tragedy this week has parallels with the the Titanic disaster, where the captain repeatedly ignored warnings about an incoming iceberg but carried on at top speed.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Do you guys think they were going to use that tax payer money to give you something? Shut up about it....

Waste tax payer money is the absolute most hilarious phrase.... That's all it ever is is wasted... Stop trying to control what you can't. Whiners. I sware.

Top Bottom