Student loan 'Forgiveness",Too little to help anyone, just enough to make everyone angry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    A silver lining that I see is that this handout has pissed off *a lot* of people, and not just our side. I have a seasonal job with a golf course maintenance crew of 10. All of us are retired, and all but yours truly are hard-core dems; I guess because all but yours truly are retired from union jobs.

To a man, the group is livid about this, and to a man, stated that they will not be voting donkey this year. Does this mean that they will be voting elephant? Yeah, when monkeys fly outta my butt. I do think though that it could make them stay home or throw away their respective votes vote 3rd party. Who knows, maybe enough middle class donkeys will do this to offset the conservative "The Senate Will Save Us" foot stompers.

I keep thinking that when I see all the comments about 'buying votes'. That's a two-edged sword in this particular matter.

Reactions: oze

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    The borrower is an 18 year old kid who is doing what those in positions of authority above them recommended they do.
    See my post above. When I took that first loan I was 18 years old (an adult as I had reached the age of majority) and entered into a financial contract with full knowledge of the risk and liability it represented.

Sorry, but that 18 year old kid (if male) entered the Militia a year before [USC10, 246(b)(2)] at the age of 17 and was fully responsible to undertake the duties of a United States citizen, along with reaping the rewards. A citizen needs to be responsible and accountable for their actions. If they are not, they are a liability to the entire nation.

I'll go back to my corner now, and stick to the basic fact that a significant portion of our government, and the electorate, wants to steal the fruits of my labor and redistribute it to others to buy their votes. That seems like a pretty serious problem to me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The borrower is an 18 year old kid who is doing what those in positions of authority above them recommended they do.
    My guidance counselor in HS never really interacted with me at all. He sure as hell didn't encourage me to go to college for some worthless degree like gender studies, art theory or underwater basket weaving.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I guess that I didn't think about this not necessarily being a done deal. From the linked article:

After that, though, even Biden has to know that the courts will block this for months if not entirely, without Congress’ approval on this level of spending. Maybe they’re counting on that, hoping to get a short-term boost to their political standing among progressives while wasting everyone else’s time in court … and ultimately stiffing the students who got stiffed by colleges and universities in Academia’s scam.
    Be still my beating heart

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess that I didn't think about this not necessarily being a done deal. From the linked article:
    "and ultimately stiffing the students who got stiffed by colleges and universities in Academia’s scam."

How did students get "stiffed" by colleges and universities? The students willingly entered into a contract and now don't want to abide by that contract. It really is that simple.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "and ultimately stiffing the students who got stiffed by colleges and universities in Academia’s scam."

How did students get "stiffed" by colleges and universities? The students willingly entered into a contract and now don't want to abide by that contract. It really is that simple.
    While very closely aligned to your thinking, I am not without empathy for the students/borrowers. Why? I believe many were sold a bill of goods that does not exist, I would go so far as to say frauded in many cases. We foist that guidance counselors are neutral advisers with the kids interests at heart, and maybe some are, but they are part of a system that pushes an agenda, college great, trades beneath contempt.

The counselors are a cog in the feed colleges students. So when a high school kid (under age) is pushed to start a course of study, they then are handed off to university reps for further guidance. It is harsh to just blame the students/borrowers when we allow a system to take advantage of them.

While we say the students “willingly entered into a contract”, we have grown a** men on here that claim negotiation to buy a car is too tough and they would rather buy from a vending machine…

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If 18 years old is TOO YOUNG to make a decision, then STOP 18 year olds from going to college.

No more college until you reach 25.

Or maybe the 18 year olds should SUE their PARENTS for not teaching them responsibility and to NOT take on too much debt.
    Or sue the lenders for loaning them the money.
    Or sue the school systems.

BUT NOT the people who had NOTHING to do with the decision.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While very closely aligned to your thinking, I am not without empathy for the students/borrowers. Why? I believe many were sold a bill of goods that does not exist, I would go so far as to say frauded in many cases. We foist that guidance counselors are neutral advisers with the kids interests at heart, and maybe some are, but they are part of a system that pushes an agenda, college great, trades beneath contempt.

The counselors are a cog in the feed colleges students. So when a high school kid (under age) is pushed to start a course of study, they then are handed off to university reps for further guidance. It is harsh to just blame the students/borrowers when we allow a system to take advantage of them.

While we say the students “willingly entered into a contract”, we have grown a** men on here that claim negotiation to buy a car is too tough and they would rather buy from a vending machine…
    They were sold the bill of goods by...
    1) parents
    2) education system (1-12)
    3) education system (college/university)

Go after them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

As I said, my high school guidance counselor had little to no influence on me. I was primarily influenced by my parents. I know that's a radical idea these days though. Dad was an engineer. So he encouraged me to study engineering, which I did at first. Being an irresponsible kid at 18, I screwed that up. When I matured, I went back to school (after working in the restaurant business and retail) and got my degree in Computer Technology. Computers weren't really even on the radar when I graduated high school in 1978.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As I said, my high school guidance counselor had little to no influence on me. I was primarily influenced by my parents. I know that's a radical idea these days though. Dad was an engineer. So he encouraged me to study engineering, which I did at first. Being an irresponsible kid at 18, I screwed that up. When I matured, I went back to school (after working in the restaurant business and retail) and got my degree in Computer Technology. Computers weren't really even on the radar when I graduated high school in 1978.
    And mine, even less. But I talk to my friends kids, some as students and some working as counselors and their stories to me are similar, and indicate the system is perpetuating itself at their expense.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When do they get credit card debt forgiveness, or mortgage forgiveness. A free electric car!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The excitement will turn to anger in January 23, when they get letters from the IRS that the $10k counts as "income" and they have to pay taxes on it. By then, the midterms will be long over.

Doesn't matter....election will be over. Fools will be back to vote for another screwing in 2 years.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    When do they get credit card debt forgiveness, or mortgage forgiveness. A free electric car!
    Buy Barrett.

Bury it in the woods.

"I sold it in a private sale and lost the paperwork"

"I lost the money gambling"

Declare bankruptcy.

Discharge debt.

Dig up Barrett.

Top Bottom