• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just did my initial run to Three Rivers Co - Op and Fresh Thyme.

Very unhappy that TRCO did not have their heavy cream. It is tremendously easy to buy Heavy Whipping Cream, but not Heavy Cream. The whipping part is an additive that can muck things up.

Also concerned about finding Tarragon. Only one (1) box at Fresh Thyme. I'll hit Krogers & Trader Joe's later on.

I'll buy most of the meat on Wednesday. I don't like for a chance of it spoiling, even in just a few days. I did pick up 2# of frozen shrimp today. Frozen will be Okay until Wednesday.

Here will be my menu for this year.

Intro:

Shrimp & Chicken Gumbo
    Black Bread
    Spinach salad w/ raspberry vinaigrette dressing

Sides:

Macaroni & Cheese w/ five (5) cheeses
    Sauteed asparagus
    Fondant potatoes

Main Course:

Chicken w/ Tarragon sauce (Again. It was loved last year)
    Irish Guinness Sheppard's Pie (made the original way w/ lamb meat)

Desserts:

Peanut Butter cookies
    Flan
    Clafoutis (the original way w/ cherries IF I can find them, otherwise blueberries & strawberries)
    Apple Butter Spice Cake

Most of the desserts will be cooked on Wednesday, along w/ the gumbo. The gumbo will take too bloody much work to even try to do it on Thursday. Since the desserts need to chill they'll be fine.

I'll prep the gumbo tomorrow afternoon or evening, along with the peanut butter dough. The dough needs to refrigerate before going in. Wednesday I'll buy the meat, cook all the desserts, prep all the ingredients for the food, and make the dough for the black bread. The black bread will be the first to go into the oven Thursday morning so it is fresh.

Overall things should go smoother than in the past, but we shall see. The gumbo worries me even though I cooked it once in school and did great, but that was a couple years ago.

God Bless chaffing dishes!

I hope everyone has a happy and wonderful Thanksgiving and gets stuffed! :)

Regards,

Doug

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I go all out; Oscar Meyer bologna for Thanksgiving! :bacondance:
    th.jpg

Our plans.........

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Everything I read states that heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are the same; 36% fat.

Is this not accurate? What are the differences and how does it affect making whipping cream to top pies?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Saturday I sharpened all my(*) kitchen knives as I abhor dull knives. Also sharpened my travel knife because invariably being the knife guy I get nominated to carve at the inlaws and my butter knives are sharper than their kitchen knives.

(*) My wife thinks sharp knives are not safe so I leave her crappy knives alone. Must have learned it from her parents as the whole clan has dull knives in every kitchen.

I go all out; Oscar Meyer bologna for Thanksgiving! :bacondance:
    Going for the fancy name brand stuff.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I went to Fresh Thyme for the first time today. Mainly went to get my herbs for my turkey and the basting sauce for it (Rosemary, thyme, sage and oregano), but looked around a little and wound up picking up 3 lbs. of thick sliced peppered bacon ($4.99/lb - 30 cents/lb less than Kroger brand packaged bacon), some sliced roast beef ($1/lb. less than Kroger deli price) for sammiches the next couple of days. I was NOT impressed with their beer prices though. Picked up a 30-pack of Busch Light for DoggyMama (I know, I know). Didn't see a price on the shelf, but figured I'd save myself a trip to Kroger and that it couldn't be that much more. I was wrong! $24.99! It's $18.99 at Kroger.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My wife is in Colorado helping my son and his family get moved in so no Thanksgiving so to speak this year. I will pick up my mom from the assisted living place and bring her over. She doesn't want me to do a big meal for her and would like a nice steak. So that is what I'll make her; steak, carrots and mashed potatoes with pumpkin pie for dessert.

My pumpkin pies and mashed potatoes are really good! And the steak and carrots will hold their own also. :)

It will be a nice, relaxed time and a good dinner for my mom. Life is good. At 93, who knows if I'll have another Thanksgiving with her.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Saturday I sharpened all my(*) kitchen knives as I abhor dull knives. Also sharpened my travel knife because invariably being the knife guy I get nominated to carve at the inlaws and my butter knives are sharper than their kitchen knives.

(*) My wife thinks sharp knives are not safe so I leave her crappy knives alone. Must have learned it from her parents as the whole clan has dull knives in every kitchen.

Going for the fancy name brand stuff.

I usually end up sharpening the knives in friends/family's kitchens for them.

How do you get through a crispy skin with a dull knife?

She needs to know that actually dull knives are more dangerous. I sharp one will do what you expect it to do and a dull one will slip or cut off course unexpectedly and takes much more effort than necessary to begin a cut.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife is in Colorado helping my son and his family get moved in so no Thanksgiving so to speak this year. I will pick up my mom from the assisted living place and bring her over. She doesn't want me to do a big meal for her and would like a nice steak. So that is what I'll make her; steak, carrots and mashed potatoes with pumpkin pie for dessert.

My pumpkin pies and mashed potatoes are really good! And the steak and carrots will hold their own also. :)

It will be a nice, relaxed time and a good dinner for my mom. Life is good. At 93, who knows if I'll have another Thanksgiving with her.
    My mom is 99 (will turn 100 in April, God willing) and in assisted living, so we won't get to spend Thanksgiving with her this year. She can't really travel very easily these days. Glad you're getting to spend time with yours!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My mom is 99 (will turn 100 in April, God willing) and in assisted living, so we won't get to spend Thanksgiving with her this year. She can't really travel very easily these days. Glad you're getting to spend time with yours!
    Fortunately she is local so I can go pick her up. I have to use my wife's car due to my SUV being too high for her to climb into. Even though it's just a Rav4 company car.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Everything I read states that heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are the same; 36% fat.

Is this not accurate? What are the differences and how does it affect making whipping cream to top pies?

Here is some helpful information on cream(s) in general.

On top of this here is the information on "cream" v/s "whipping cream."

In almost every American grocery store they carry "heavy whipping cream." In most cases this is fine. I will use heavy whipping cream more often than not.

However, on Thanksgiving, I get stinky. I want everything to be as pure, natural, and original as possible. Don't ask me why, I don't know. If I were to guess I think it's the one meal per year that I cook that I want as organic as possible. Plus, when I go to make my own butter (which I have done) it will be far better without the additives in "whipping" cream.

From the first article you can see where different countries, particularly the United States and United Kingdom have different tastes and variations on cream, clotted cream, and so forth. I've made my own crem fraiche before. Not hard.

For topping on a pie honestly heavy whipping cream would be better than heavy cream. Those additives will make it hold form better and longer than regular cream. Sometimes I'll add sugar to heavy cream and whip it to add to a bowl of strawberries. Wonderful.

I hope this helps answer the question.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom