• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Doug, How do you do your gumbo? I used to do a stovetop roux, but switched to a long oven roux - BIG difference, easier to get that deep brick red color and really improves the flavor.

But, that definitely means it's a weekend only thing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I usually end up sharpening the knives in friends/family's kitchens for them.

How do you get through a crispy skin with a dull knife?

She needs to know that actually dull knives are more dangerous. I sharp one will do what you expect it to do and a dull one will slip or cut off course unexpectedly and takes much more effort than necessary to begin a cut.

FWIW, I've only cut myself on sharp knives, just not paying enough attention. Not badly, just small cut.

But I still keep sharp knives, because dull ones suck.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Here is some helpful information on cream(s) in general.

On top of this here is the information on "cream" v/s "whipping cream."

In almost every American grocery store they carry "heavy whipping cream." In most cases this is fine. I will use heavy whipping cream more often than not.

However, on Thanksgiving, I get stinky. I want everything to be as pure, natural, and original as possible. Don't ask me why, I don't know. If I were to guess I think it's the one meal per year that I cook that I want as organic as possible. Plus, when I go to make my own butter (which I have done) it will be far better without the additives in "whipping" cream.

From the first article you can see where different countries, particularly the United States and United Kingdom have different tastes and variations on cream, clotted cream, and so forth. I've made my own crem fraiche before. Not hard.

For topping on a pie honestly heavy whipping cream would be better than heavy cream. Those additives will make it hold form better and longer than regular cream. Sometimes I'll add sugar to heavy cream and whip it to add to a bowl of strawberries. Wonderful.

I hope this helps answer the question.

Regards,

Doug
    Pretty sure I saw Heavy Cream at West State Kroger. I got the Heavy Whipping Cream next to it as I am using it for pie topping.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Doug, How do you do your gumbo? I used to do a stovetop roux, but switched to a long oven roux - BIG difference, easier to get that deep brick red color and really improves the flavor.

But, that definitely means it's a weekend only thing.

I have seen the oven method, but the only way I have had experience and training with is on the stove, so that is how I'll do it.

I am not a huge soup maker, so I don't experiment too much there. I'll be glad if it comes out Okay. Gumbo certainly is not a simple thing mostly due to the roux.

Doug

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    For the first year, well, ever.... we made our reservations a couple of weeks ago. Kind of a transition year, I think. Getting to hard for the previous generation, and my wife and I couldn't quite pick it up this year.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Here is some helpful information on cream(s) in general.

On top of this here is the information on "cream" v/s "whipping cream."

In almost every American grocery store they carry "heavy whipping cream." In most cases this is fine. I will use heavy whipping cream more often than not.

However, on Thanksgiving, I get stinky. I want everything to be as pure, natural, and original as possible. Don't ask me why, I don't know. If I were to guess I think it's the one meal per year that I cook that I want as organic as possible. Plus, when I go to make my own butter (which I have done) it will be far better without the additives in "whipping" cream.

From the first article you can see where different countries, particularly the United States and United Kingdom have different tastes and variations on cream, clotted cream, and so forth. I've made my own crem fraiche before. Not hard.

For topping on a pie honestly heavy whipping cream would be better than heavy cream. Those additives will make it hold form better and longer than regular cream. Sometimes I'll add sugar to heavy cream and whip it to add to a bowl of strawberries. Wonderful.

I hope this helps answer the question.

Regards,

Doug
    Thanks. Good info.
    Sounds like you put on an awesome meal.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks. Good info.
    Sounds like you put on an awesome meal.

Thanks. I try to put on a good meal.

I started doing this mostly as a "Thank You" to my mother for being so good to me. This will be our first Thanksgiving without her. Her absence will certainly be felt.

Now it's mostly for my father and friends that show up.

Regards,

Doug

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are correct about the whipping part. We did a homeschool kitchen science experiment to make homemade butter. It took FOREVER to get the milkfat to separate out. 20 minutes in a food processor and it barely thickened. I had to stick it in the fancy ninja blender to get it pushed over the edge.

And when it did, it still didnt release all the buttermilk. It still had a very milky taste but I couldnt get any more out.

Disappointing, but they thought it was cool.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I just did my initial run to Three Rivers Co - Op and Fresh Thyme.

Very unhappy that TRCO did not have their heavy cream. It is tremendously easy to buy Heavy Whipping Cream, but not Heavy Cream. The whipping part is an additive that can muck things up.

Also concerned about finding Tarragon. Only one (1) box at Fresh Thyme. I'll hit Krogers & Trader Joe's later on.

I'll buy most of the meat on Wednesday. I don't like for a chance of it spoiling, even in just a few days. I did pick up 2# of frozen shrimp today. Frozen will be Okay until Wednesday.

Here will be my menu for this year.

Intro:

Shrimp & Chicken Gumbo
    Black Bread
    Spinach salad w/ raspberry vinaigrette dressing

Sides:

Macaroni & Cheese w/ five (5) cheeses
    Sauteed asparagus
    Fondant potatoes

Main Course:

Chicken w/ Tarragon sauce (Again. It was loved last year)
    Irish Guinness Sheppard's Pie (made the original way w/ lamb meat)

Desserts:

Peanut Butter cookies
    Flan
    Clafoutis (the original way w/ cherries IF I can find them, otherwise blueberries & strawberries)
    Apple Butter Spice Cake

Most of the desserts will be cooked on Wednesday, along w/ the gumbo. The gumbo will take too bloody much work to even try to do it on Thursday. Since the desserts need to chill they'll be fine.

I'll prep the gumbo tomorrow afternoon or evening, along with the peanut butter dough. The dough needs to refrigerate before going in. Wednesday I'll buy the meat, cook all the desserts, prep all the ingredients for the food, and make the dough for the black bread. The black bread will be the first to go into the oven Thursday morning so it is fresh.

Overall things should go smoother than in the past, but we shall see. The gumbo worries me even though I cooked it once in school and did great, but that was a couple years ago.

God Bless chaffing dishes!

I hope everyone has a happy and wonderful Thanksgiving and gets stuffed! :)

Regards,

Doug

Sounds excellent!

What time should we be there for dinner?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds excellent!

What time should we be there for dinner?

That is a funny question, actually...

Not to brag but when my food gets done it is good. The qualifying word is "when."

I'm like one of those doctors offices you have an appointment at, then see the doctor three (3) hours later. Last year it was AN ENTIRE DAY LATE!

Timing everything to hit the table at or near the correct time is a massive logistical nightmare, at least for me. So last year I invested in four (4) chaffing dishes. Chaffing dishes ROCK! I can start cooking my food around 10AM and when it is done an hour or so early, just stick it in the chaffing dish and move on. It is still reasonably hot and fresh.

I started doing the soup and salad just so everyone wasn't going hungry while waiting on me to finish up. Then the bloody goobers all refused to eat until I sat down.

So now all the desserts will be made on Wednesday, prepped tonight. Wednesday all the main dishes will be prepped so that Thursday all I have to do is pull out a box with all the ingredients already prepared and start cooking.

To finally answer your question the time we're supposed to start eating is 2PM. If we start by 3PM I'll be thrilled!

Doug

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That could possibly be the answer to the universal question!!!! I'd never considered pineapple on bologna of course now I'm forced to wade back into the hell known as the grocery store just a few hours before thanksgiving.:xmad:
    Grandma used to put pineapple on the ham. Along with cloves stuck in the skin of course, and covered in brown sugar. :drool:

Though we werent animals and would throw away the pineapple before eating the ham.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Grandma used to put pineapple on the ham. Along with cloves stuck in the skin of course, and covered in brown sugar. :drool:

Though we werent animals and would throw away the pineapple before eating the ham.
    Yep. That’s the old school way. The hams we had were always prepared the same way.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I have my Thanksgiving menu all set

iu

Pickle and cranberry pie

123080801_10158101927244132_8822566219955310149_n.jpg

Top Bottom