• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The Boss was in downtown Deaconess about a year ago. Left one night around midnight, went in Emergency room, metal detectors to enter and couldn't even have my pocket knife, but left by front door. Had to walk around building to get to the car. Security guard picked me up and gave a lift to parking lot. Said not the best area for an older person to be walking in, and that if I was to be leaving late at night to park, enter, and then leave from front door. No metal detectors, concealed means concealed, discreet means discreet.
    As we all know Deaconess Downtown (Evansville) is not in the best area. I have been in and out of ER at Deaconess Gateway (East Side E'Ville) the last couple years and never encountered metal detectors. I was that guy every time I was there. :thumbsup:

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Haven't been out there in years. But I have to take a relative there later this week. I know they had no carry signs, and also know they aren't law. But do they have metal detectors now days?
    Which St. Vincent's? They have several facilities around the state.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I’m that guy every day! I go into numerous medical facilities every day. I walk right past their signs with my pistols, knives, ammo & OC spray. All concealed. I’m a big proponent of private property rights! My private property, on my person, is non of their business!!
    Oh, by the way, Hendricks Community Hospital has walk through metal detectors at SOME of their entrances (main & ER). Found that out after I walked in w/ my hands full & set them off, before I was allowed to go on through by the guards at both of those entrances.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    The one on 86th street. Went there today, just stickers on the door. No issues.
    I used to work for IU Health. They implemented metal detectors in the downtown hospitals, for good reason. They also upgraded the security team to a sworn police department so they are serious about controlling the environment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I used to work for IU Health. They implemented metal detectors in the downtown hospitals, for good reason. They also upgraded the security team to a sworn police department so they are serious about controlling the environment.
    At IU Health as in the one on the IUPUI campus? I was just there today and no metal detectors.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I spent quite a bit of time visting at St V on 86th Street in Indy and the Carmel campus this Summer/Fall. No metal detectors that I saw, and I was in both ERs, ICU and the general population in both facilities.

To contrast, I went to Community North once during the same period and had to run back to the car, since I forgot my chewing gum...

YMMV.

p.s. If you want to carry, carry. If they ask you to leave, leave.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I stayed a couple of overnights at the hospital last week. (Not me, wife gallbladder) I was that guy the whole time.

I have always carried in the hospitals. Held all of my newborn grandkids, pistol on side. I went through an ER with my SIL a couple years ago. Sat with him as nurses and doctors attended to him.

Security guard approached me right off on that ER visit. I thought, "here we go!" :rolleyes: Turned out my neck gator wasn't a good enough mask for them. He gave me an approved one.

I've never ran into any kind of situation in the hospital, but getting to and from the car can be like the worst inner city hoods. Again, THE LAST place I'd ever want to be not carrying.

:)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    As we all know Deaconess Downtown (Evansville) is not in the best area. I have been in and out of ER at Deaconess Gateway (East Side E'Ville) the last couple years and never encountered metal detectors. I was that guy every time I was there. :thumbsup:
    Many moons ago I lived a couple blocks on the other side of 1st Ave from Deaconess. Not a great area then but didn't have any issues. I wonder if the GRMC having their clubhouse close by kept things quiet. The Boss has been to Gateway also, whole different atmosphere as far as security.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't remember the old Bloomington hospital being as bad? The newly built hospital seems like a magnet for the ""transient," "unhoused," criminals and "signal 34" mental cases.

Any given day, numerous calls come over the scanner app for all kinds of bizarre stuff. A lot of the police calls are also for the parking lot and streets out in front.

:nailbite:

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    At IU Health as in the one on the IUPUI campus? I was just there today and no metal detectors.
    Interesting. I worked on the Methodist Hospital campus and they installed metal detectors in all the doors I went through. I haven't been over to University Hospital or Riley Hospital in quite a while so I'm not as familiar with those facilities.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    The only hospital that I have been in that had metal detectors in the ER was U of L Jewish ER in Louisville. Noticed that last October when I had to go in to see a hand doctor after trying to shake hands with a circular saw. They had two very dimwitted looking security guards that were armed wearing plate carriers at the entrance one sitting in a chair the other one running the metal detectors.

When I walked in the guy looked at me and said do you have any weapons I said no he said and you are here for and I just looked at him with a WTF look while holding my right hand wrapped in a bandage that was soaked in blood. I just held it up and he said okay.

That part of Louisville like most of Louisville is a giant crap hole and there are a ton of homeless around there and living under the overpasses for 64 and 264.

Top Bottom