• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I recently received a promotion at work and decided it is the perfect time to reward myself with a new addition to our small but growing collection. After doing some research I have decided to look at adding a Beretta to the family. I just need to narrow it down to one and "pull the trigger", so to speak.

I stopped by Gander Mountain to fondle their selection (obviously not buying there due to $$$$$$ prices, but it's convenient to stop by in the evening) and while I originally was leaning toward either a 92FS or 96FS, I've now played with and like the PX4 Storm as well.

So, pros and cons of each. I still prefer the look and weight of the 92/96 over the Storm, but it's a tough call. Also, I currently have a 9mm and a .45 ACP, so with that in mind should I go with a 92 or Storm in 9 so I have only 2 calibers to deal with or should I go with the 96/Storm .40 caliber so each of my guns is a little more different?

I also prefer the Inox finish and Bud's Guns had a 92 for a reasonable price. I'm sure they have an Inox Storm as well, but their website is down at the moment so I can't confirm. The 96 Inox, on the other hand, is out of stock and I haven't found one available online.

So, please give me your :twocents: and once I've narrowed down my decision I'll just need help convincing my wife that I should have another gun.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I only have on Beretta and it is a Border Marshall. Great gun but my hands are small and old so my Glock 19 gets most of the action. Tough choice pick them up hold them and see what feels best.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    I've got a friend who's a Beretta guy. He has both and he's lazy. You got a promotion during a recession. Buying only one or the other would be slapping your hard work right in the face. Buy them both.

In all seriousness, it's going to boil down to what you want it for. The 92/96 is solid, reliable and big. The Storm is slightly more compact and has gorgeous lines. (I have the CX4 carbine in 9 and it's just sexy... period)

As to caliber, ammo prices notwithstanding, I'd go with the .40 S&W. You've got the other 2 bases covered. Celebrate diversity.

Congrats on the promotion.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congrat's on the promotion! I would recommend the 92...classic design that's survived the ages! I would also suggest trying out the .40 S&W...it's a nice round with a little more 'pop' than the 9mm and .45 give you!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Shot and played with both a 92 and a storm... you can't go wrong either way, but I guess it depends on what you want it for. If you are looking for conceal carry, then a compact or sub-compact storm would be ideal... other than that, I prefer the 92 for just about anything else.

Both are way more accurate than I am, but the 92 was a better fit in the hand for me. Get it in 9mm and shoot the barrel out (or at least try)

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    In my opinion any Beretta would be a fine choice.

First thing you need to decide is what the gun will be used for. If it's for carry, how do you want to carry it ? This will help you get an idea of what size gun you want.

Second you need to try and shoot them if possible. To me the 92 or 96 are just the right size but that may not be the case for you. Shooting them will let you know what is comfortable and accurate for you.

I am a fan of both 9 and 40. So it's really up to you on that aspect to figure out(see above).

Lastly on the cosmetic choices. You can get an Inox slide on a PX4. But for a truly Inox Pistol, you can only get those on the 92/96 series guns as they have a metal frame.

I hope this is helpful.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go ahead and go with the FS92 Inox over the storm and the 96 version. While out at the range the other day with my wife I decided that the 9mm is a better choice since I can interchange with her. She's got a Springfield XD 9, so this way if I decide to leave my .45 at home and just bring my new toy I only need to worry about one type of ammo.

As far as the use goes, it's not for carry so I'm not worried about the size. However, the overwhelming consensus here is that Beretta is a good manufacturer so I may end up getting one of their compacts for carry in the future.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm not sure when I'll be getting my "reward" for the job promotion but it was pretty easy to convince the wife that I deserved another gun. The only caveat - she gets to spend as much on purses as I do on the gun. Expensive proposition but hey, I'll be adding a Beretta to the family. :D

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I think you made the right decision I've shot the storm, 92 and the nano. On the storm I couldn't get used to the reset, 92 great gun great trigger I just don't like the da/sa with that being said ill probably own one again in the future. The nano I don't like the heavy trigger

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If you haven't bought yet I'd like to pose another idea. If you buy another double stack gun there is the problem of mixing mags. In an emergency that could be a problem.
    Unless you buy another 92, or a gun that takes the same mag. To eliminate that concern
    I bought a single stack 9mm. The one I bought was compact and had a polymer frame.
    It weighs so little I scarcely know I'm carrying. Try holding a few at a gun store, and
    you might ask about action styles. A similar trigger pull to your main gun would be best.
    Good hunting, and congrats on your promotion..

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    92 is a solid gun, an d the 96 has been toughened up from its original issues. My first suggestion would be to keep calibers alike. I have nothing against .40 ( currently own a glock, an HK and a smith in that caliber) but I would be more interested in 9mm in the beretta.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's nothing wrong with a 92, but do yourself a favor and at least handle a CZ 75B before you make your decision.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the Beretta, but the CZ doesn't have the brand recognition the Beretta does and sometimes doesn't come up. There is no loser in that decision, but some prefer one over the other (I prefer CZ).

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I do want to check out the CZ75B Stainless when I get a chance. As I posted in another thread, I'm leaning toward the Taurus PT92 over the Beretta at this time for a couple of reasons. Now I have another to throw into the mix.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Congrats on the promotion! I have actually never owned or even fired a Beretta 92. I have owned a PX4 Storm and liked it, very accurate and very low recoil with the rotating barrel design.

Top Bottom