• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Smartwool. The best socks ever. I have Smartwool socks that are still good after years of wear. Obviously I do not wear hiking socks everyday, but I have 20 year old hiking socks that are still great. Their dress socks are also great for what they do.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So to elaborate a little…. I just started hiking rucking recently-ish and I got on the darn tough wagon….. I will say they do not last forever. But with the $7 replacement for life I think it justifies the initial expense. They dry quickly and are very comfortable

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I've worn darn tough for over 10 years, same pair.

I will say though anything that can put up with INGOMike gor 20 years may be better
    When you say same
    Pair is that like everyday ? Every other with laundry day in between? Or just when hiking?

I only ask because I got two pairs fall 2022 I believe I have essentially worn them everyday since (alternating days and sparingly they got a day off) I do have a couple holes in them now but mainly from a metal floor mat I occasionally snag on

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    When you say same
    Pair is that like everyday ? Every other with laundry day in between? Or just when hiking?

I only ask because I got two pairs fall 2022 I believe I have essentially worn them everyday since (alternating days and sparingly they got a day off) I do have a couple holes in them now but mainly from a metal floor mat I occasionally snag on
    Free replacement for life, right?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    When you say same

I bought 10 pairs. I wear the same pair 2 or 3 days in a row, like jeans. On hot hikes wear same pair every other day or two.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Your foot size will really dictate what you find best for your feet. Different companies use lasts made to varying dimensions, even for the same foot size. To make matters worse, sometimes the lasts are different across product lines from the same company. I have noted that the smaller your feet are, the less it matters. Also, long and narrow feet will find more compatibility than wide feet. I have bought a bunch, and returned a bunch. Smartwool is usually a safe bet for me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Brands really don't matter as much as materials, in my experience.

"SmartWool" / Merino wool or Merino / synthetic blend.

Long haul socks are different than short jaunts are different than running/jogging are different from cold weather.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Another Darn Tough user here. Have used other "top" brands, but these seem to work fine. I need more. I am currently alternating between two pairs and I wear them often when working outdoors and/or hiking.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Growing up we would cut the worn out socks out so you could pull them over you hands and wrists up the arm. This gave gloves a little more insulation in the palm and back of the hand. It also gave you some protection in the cold when you had to pull gloves off because some task required more dexterity than the gloves allowed.

The gardener gets after me for not throwing old socks away, but it's still a habit.

Top Bottom